Liverpool locals only - Why and how did you become a blue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Born in fazakerley hospital. First house i lived in was glawdys street and was christened in st Lukes. Once a blue always a blue!

I was born an evertonian. My grandparents had a massive woollen tapestry/rug type thing which grandad had made after 66 FA cup. I was wrapped in this as soon as i was born. (i was born at my grandparents house) I will die an evertonian. The bit in the middle don't matter. NSNO

Walked up the steps in the paddock as a 6 year old in 1970, night game, floodlights on, i thought this is the most amazing place,,over 40 years later and despite moving a few hundred miles away i still do and now my 4 sons all think the same and proudly wear the shirt around the island...born,,,,hell yes and proud of it coyb

I was 5 in 1971,European Cup quarter final against the greeks of Panathinaikos and like you mate,I was awestruck at the majesty of the place,at the time it was THE best ground in the country,yeah she may have aged,but part of me still gets that same old tingle I had as a 5 year old every single game!!

Followed my Dad really. He was brought up off County Road. He took me to a game in the late sixties when I was about seven. We beat Forest 1-0. My Dad had continually drummed into me about Ball, Kendall Harvey etc so when I saw Alan Ball I was hooked. What a player! I also recall not really taking much notice of Liverpool until they beat us in the 1971 FA Cup Semi at Old Trafford. Ball put us ahead but Labone got injured and we imploded (sound familiar?). We lost 2-1 and I remember the look on my Dad's face when he got home from the game some hours later! Hated them ever since. Funny thing is, when I look back I think what a good job my Dad did, because he never once spoke about Liverpool to me, never give a chance to even consider the dark side. I was oblivious to anything other than the royal blue jersey etc.
I played for a Sunday league football team run by Micky Lyons called Malpas in the early 70's. I lived about ten minutes walk from his house in Malpas Rd (hence the team being called Malpas). Anyway, after our games on a Sunday Micky used to give me a lift home from the West Derby playing fields off Eaton Road. My team mates were dead jealous. How ace was that. Played for his team for two years and then he became a regular with Everton so had to forego running the team. It wouldn't happen now.
One little quick story -One night we were having a pre-season friendly and I couldn't remember the kick off time so I knocked on his door and his sister answered. I remember her shouting up the stairs and saying "Mike, its for you one of your footy team are here". He shouted down "tell him to hang on for 5 mins I'm on the loo"!! There's me waitin at an Everton players front door while he finishes of havin a s***!!
Even though we were largely poor in the mid to late 70's (well compared to them anyway) I never lost the faith and my own boys are also staunch Blues. I was determined to carry on the family tradition and both lads won't be swayed by their plastic mates at School despite all the ribbing. I told my youngest son that on the way home from Cornwall this summer we will be passing West Broms ground on the first day of the season and that there was a good chance we'd see some 'Devon Reds' in the northbound M5 services. He just said - "right, I'm wearing my new Everton shirt to travel home that day"!! I just thought - "Thats my boy"!!

I was 5 in 1971,European Cup quarter final against the greeks of Panathinaikos and like you mate,I was awestruck at the majesty of the place,at the time it was THE best ground in the country,yeah she may have aged,but part of me still gets that same old tingle I had as a 5 year old every single game!!

I was at same game mate,, didnt see you.......i still get shivers whenever i get home for a game, the old lady comes into sight and im that 6 year old again,,,dont get me started on z cars

Because I was blessed! Ok, seriously

I am 4th generation blue. I was born in Walton, my old man is die-hard, so is my uncle and grandad....although my dad being a stubborn weirdo stopped going the games "when they refused me the right to stand at matches) My dad took me the games from when i was as young as 4 years old - in the lower gladwys, sitting on the railings. My grandad used to take my dad...and my great-grandad used to work on the turnstiles back in the good-old-days. My family at one time (in the good-old-days) also had shares in the club. I moved to america 3 years ago and have since produced the 5th generation blue.

So you see, I had no choice....just like my boy has no choice. And I am grateful for that

My earliest football memory was the 85 final I remember my dad pissin off to the pub in disgust after the game then the 86 final I always remember nearly every house had either blue or red flags on the windows .
my best mates family next door were mad reds and I was desperate for us to win I was gutted ! My first tastes of being a blue had teached me what to expect for the rest of my life !

As far as I know there is no reds in our family although my nan supports merseyside which is why she's going in a home!

Only kiddin nan

dad one of 7 brothers from Bootle all very keen altho my dad and 1 uncle in particular were particularly passionate. They had a relative at the 1906 cup final. I'm one of 3 all mad keen, my 3 kids follow in the family tradition. I gave them a choice tho which is more than my dad gave me. Everton or the street! Wife a convert to the cause is as maddest of all, even allowed a detour from honeymoon to pre season tourney. We'll get our reward one day. (just hope the 80s wasnt our reward!!)

Born in Birkenhead, 1970. Mum & Dad are Blues, so was born an Evertonian. Me Dad missed my christening coz Everton were playing that day, and that was deemed far more important. Mum's side of the family are all Reds, and Dad's side didn't really follow football except me Grandad who loosely followed Tranmere; used to go to their Friday night games as a nipper. Needless to say, my Dad's side of the family are the nicer bunch (y)

i remember a night cup game against Sunderland and that went to Pens, and John Oster stood up to take it and u know when u have that feeling....oh **** not him.... he missed!!! the short arse hahahaha

Exact same game! I forgot to mention that Bakayoko's miss was the first time I ever run down one of own players. I was furious with him. In hindsight, Sorensen is bloody good at saving penalties.

I was at same game mate,, didnt see you.......i still get shivers whenever i get home for a game, the old lady comes into sight and im that 6 year old again,,,dont get me started on z cars
Ha Ha!!I was treated by my old dad for that one,seats in the brand new triple decker ahead of its time Main Stand!!,by the way if you are interested mate,I recently saw the highlights of the game on youtube and there's also highlights of the"infamous" 2nd leg out in Athens!!!Z-Cars I know,as Bally said"once Evertons touched you,nothings the same!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back