Match Thread Liverpool v Everton, FA Cup 3rd Round, Friday 5th Jan 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

So why do you think they don't put a defender on each post at corners?

I think because they think it is 'old hat' to do so, and it is progressive to fill the penalty area/6-yard box with additional defenders. Well 'additional' defenders got in Pickford's way last night, not RS attackers, for their winner...

It really is basic defending, and we will all see goals conceded from corners all through the season with the ball going in just inside the post, because that position is vacant.

I believe I've given you a good answer, Seamus. What are your thoughts?

Clattenburg, Atkinson and now Madley. Dodgy refereeing decisions against us in derbys as sure as night follows day. Thought it was a thing of the past but obviously not.

You're obviously too young to remember Clive Thomas at Maine Road in 1977. I'm not. I was there. One of the most disgraceful decisions ever against us in a derby.

And outside of a derby, there is Collina, who up to that night was considered one of the best refs ever. He was brought out of retirement to ref our two games! England had a potential 5 teams through to the group stages had we won. I wonder why Pier-Luigi was brought out of retirement? Oh yeah, to disallow Duncan's perfectly good headed goal that would have brought the tie exactly level (in other words, in no way let Everton get through that game against Villareal as winners).

I think because they think it is 'old hat' to do so, and it is progressive to fill the penalty area/6-yard box with additional defenders. Well 'additional' defenders got in Pickford's way last night, not RS attackers, for their winner...

It really is basic defending, and we will all see goals conceded from corners all through the season with the ball going in just inside the post, because that position is vacant.

I believe I've given you a good answer, Seamus. What are your thoughts?

But why are Premier League managers seemingly not bothered about all these goals going in from corners that could easily be stopped?

I can't believe that its because they think it's "old hat", surely someone as defensive minded as Sam Allardyce doesn't care about that and would put 10 men on the post if he thought it would stop a goal.

When i was growing up i was always taught to put men on the posts at corners and these days i still do when i play so i do see where you're coming from. But there has to be a decent reason why professional teams don't do it very often and that's gotta be because they analysed corners, you know how much stats get used these days, and noticed teams who don't put men on the posts actually concede less headers at goal from corners because of those 2 extra defenders in the area.

Sure, soemtimes teams will concede from a corner when a man on the post would have stopped it, but i bet overall they concede less goals from corners by having extra players marking and challenging for the ball.

But why are Premier League managers seemingly not bothered about all these goals going in from corners that could easily be stopped?

I can't believe that its because they think it's "old hat", surely someone as defensive minded as Sam Allardyce doesn't care about that and would put 10 men on the post if he thought it would stop a goal.

When i was growing up i was always taught to put men on the posts at corners and these days i still do when i play so i do see where you're coming from. But there has to be a decent reason why professional teams don't do it very often and that's gotta be because they analysed corners, you know how much stats get used these days, and noticed teams who don't put men on the posts actually concede less headers at goal from corners because of those 2 extra defenders in the area.

Sure, soemtimes teams will concede from a corner when a man on the post would have stopped it, but i bet overall they concede less goals from corners by having extra players marking and challenging for the ball.

Seamus,
I don't know the in-depth stats on the above, so I cannot make further comment on the overall merits of both sides of the case, other than to say that almost every week we see goals scored from corners going in just inside the post, when it is a totally vacant area. And the result of it means that goal makes the difference between winnning and drawing, or drawing and losing. I would accept your last post if every game was 7-all and the like, and it mattered not one jot how many goals were scored by either side, but when a lot of games swing on a single goal difference (such as our defeat last night), then when that single goal is as a result of this 'defender not on the post' scenario, there is a very good case to be made out to covering the posts when defending corners.

It's an interesting discussion, and one that no doubt has advocates of both sides.

ffs Jeff don't take literally the words I said as gospel, I'm pretty sure you know what i meant when I was trying to explain it last night.

And it's still a dive imo mate, not a soft pen. In fact the lack of calls and texts from any Kopite today tells me they are probably hiding under a rock because they know he's dived yet tried to take some kind of moral high ground about diving when they claimed DCL did.
Yes, I know what you meant and that's why I added 'went down easily'. I looked at it again and I agree that he jumped
for no apparent reason and he was looking for it.

We could all talk for ages about soft penalties but there's nothing we can do about it. The FA could tighten up on it, but
they won't.

Maybe we could have a penalty thread where we could all give our ideas.

You're obviously too young to remember Clive Thomas at Maine Road in 1977. I'm not. I was there. One of the most disgraceful decisions ever against us in a derby.

And outside of a derby, there is Collina, who up to that night was considered one of the best refs ever. He was brought out of retirement to ref our two games! England had a potential 5 teams through to the group stages had we won. I wonder why Pier-Luigi was brought out of retirement? Oh yeah, to disallow Duncan's perfectly good headed goal that would have brought the tie exactly level (in other words, in no way let Everton get through that game against Villareal as winners).

Wasn’t even two games mate, was a different guy for the first leg.

Have all the optimists on here, come on to apologize?

Is it true their will be a new Latin crest on next season's shirt, reading aptum ad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back