Match Thread Liverpool v Everton, FA Cup 3rd Round, Friday 5th Jan 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guy Mowbray has always come across as anti-Everton.

I think Keown wanted us to win, deep down.

i seen one of his quotes before the game saying "hopefully everton will give it more of a go than in the league". WTF is his problem? he has very little knowledge of football, he's never been anywhere close to a manager as far as i can recall so why is he saying something like that about tactics. Anyone who knows the RS knows that that is how you contain and beat them. I hate this british mentality of "defending is bad for football". If it was so bad, why does every single team set up with more defensive minded players than attacking?

As bad as losing to them is, we do have a history of losing third round games and cup ties too lower league sides, I actually think right now id feel a lot worse if it was a Tranmere / Shrewsbury type club that had beaten us

About our equaliser, yes pundits saying great break away!!! if that had been a goal by Man City, Man U, Chelsea Spurs etc it would have been all over the back pages touted as the goal of the season but it was Everton!!!

I’m tired of it all I have to say. It gets to the stage where you don’t dare hope, then you still get drawn in only for fate to laugh in your face yet again like last night.

I barely thought about the game all day yesterday, it was just something to be endured. They took the lead inevitably and when we equalised I allowed myself to hope that we might get a replay.

Perhaps the issue is that the players feel like I do but the difference is they are paid handsomely and I get nothing but grief.

I know exactly what you mean it's as if you are punished for daring to dream

Pain definitely gone now. Aided and abetted by a couple of large Teachers to ward off the cold after a brisk walk outside.
During walk, got around to wondering why, in a perverse sort of way, I can't secretly admire, maybe too strong a word, but accept the RS can be a good team on their day.
Then the obvious hits you smack in the face. The festering stench of their fans, who if they had endured a fraction of what we have had to tolerate over thirty years or so, would they still be the cock shower they are today.
Feck them all.

I get that mate. I really do. It still isnt good enough I agtee. But after a truly horrible day in which we sold my favourite player of recent times AND my favourite young player, I guess I was just content that the boys actually gave it a go for a change. And hopefully showed that chump that there is more than one way to play football.

Yep had day all round wasn't it for us. I think everything really came to a head for me last night mate but new day today, usually more bad days than good being an Evertonian but its who we are and we'v been through worse times so we just crack on with it don't we ;)

'He dives mid air with both feet in the air', you said. Nothing about pushing himself off. And that was my point. It's hard to
dive with both feet in the air. Impossible, in fact.

That was my defence of DCL the other week. His feet were off the ground at the moment that Lovren pushed him.

Lallana exaggerated it, but Holgate wrapped his arms around him. Pen. Niasse exaggerated the contact at Palace, but
it was there. Pen. Both soft, but...

ffs Jeff don't take literally the words I said as gospel, I'm pretty sure you know what i meant when I was trying to explain it last night.

And it's still a dive imo mate, not a soft pen. In fact the lack of calls and texts from any Kopite today tells me they are probably hiding under a rock because they know he's dived yet tried to take some kind of moral high ground about diving when they claimed DCL did.

So we draw Chelsea away in the (INSERT SPONSOR NAME) cup and Liverpool away in the FA cup. Meh. Everton that.

anyway, didn't watch the game but recorded it... is it worth watching despite the defeat?

I posted the same thing in this thread after the game last night.

You see tonight (not you personally), there will be goals scored on Match of the Day where there is no defender on the post for a corner. It happens every week in the Prem, yet Managers seem to be blind to this manner of conceding a goal.

MESSGAE TO SAM: YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE A GREAT DEFENSIVE MANAGER. PUT A DEFENDER ON EACH POST WHEN WE DEFEND CORNERS, AND PREVENT GOALS, LOST POINTS.

That singular thing lost us the game last night, and he should hang his head in shame as a result...
Always remember Baines ot Coleman doing this for us.

I posted the same thing in this thread after the game last night.

You see tonight (not you personally), there will be goals scored on Match of the Day where there is no defender on the post for a corner. It happens every week in the Prem, yet Managers seem to be blind to this manner of conceding a goal.

MESSGAE TO SAM: YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE A GREAT DEFENSIVE MANAGER. PUT A DEFENDER ON EACH POST WHEN WE DEFEND CORNERS, AND PREVENT GOALS, LOST POINTS.

That singular thing lost us the game last night, and he should hang his head in shame as a result...

So why do you think they don't put a defender on each post at corners?

So we draw Chelsea away in the (INSERT SPONSOR NAME) cup and Liverpool away in the FA cup. Meh. Everton that.

anyway, didn't watch the game but recorded it... is it worth watching despite the defeat?

If you want to see what Fat Sam means by "going for glory" then watch it. We managed one shot on target so he has us going in the right direction. I hear he wants to put the dug out on wheels so that he can get the substitutes behind the ball.

I'll be honest, this one has cut a little bit more deep than normal. I'm usually pretty good at putting it all in perspective, it's just a game after all but definitely feeling the blues today. Probably down to the fact the season feels pretty much over and we're only in January. Ah well, time heals all hey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back