Match Thread Liverpool v Everton, FA Cup 3rd Round, Friday 5th Jan 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most important game of the year for me, might sound small fry but to knock that lot out of the cup at Anfield would be the highlight of the year (maybe even the last 3 years?).

Im reading an article on the BBC website about the merseyside derby.I think these words from Danny Murphy should be put up on the dressing room wall.

I grew up a Liverpool fan and of course the derby means a lot more when you support one of the teams and go to these games as a boy.

"Liverpool against Everton is a big game but playing Manchester United was always bigger because they were our yardstick for success.

"Hence my kind of legacy as a Liverpool player is more about my winners against United than anyone talking to me about my goal against Everton. It was a late winner at Goodison and probably one of my best goals.

But actually no-one really remembers it and the reason is because we were so used to beating them. We still are and that is the simple truth.

"The blue half of the city probably won't like hearing that, but the Liverpool fans will know it is true.

"If Everton win at Anfield on Friday it would be a shock and they would have some serious bragging rights because they would be taking away an opportunity for Liverpool to win some silverware.

"But I don't see Liverpool slipping up because the manager and the players alike will understand the importance - not just of the derby but that they have a chance of winning this competition, because winning a trophy is huge for Liverpool this season."

Message to Danny Murphy, our primary motivation for winning this game, is to win a trophy for ourselves.Obviously knocking out our rivals out is huge motivation, but the primary goal for me is success for Everton, and i just see Liverpool as an obstacle to be overcome on our way to success.Really i just hope our players finally show some bottle tomorrow, and knock this lot out.They really are long overdue some comeuppance from us.

...Allardyce indicated Keane has stitches in his instep and is unlikely to be risked. I’m useless at predicting line ups but I wouldn’t be surprised if we start with:

Pickford

Kenny
Holgate
Williams
Martina

Bolasie
Gueye
Rooney
McCarthy
Sigurdsson

DCL.

He might want to start Lennon and have Bolasie as an impact substitute. Also, Tosun is an option but only if the deal is complete and the player is in the right physical and mental condition.

It's going to be hard stopping Coutinho........ from going to John Lennon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back