Match Thread Liverpool vs Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
A resounding victory over Leeds and I'll forgive the bottle job from last night. 6 points from three games into Dyche's tenure would be a very good return. If we cannot beat a rudderless Leeds at home then we need to accept relegation is virtually a certainty at that point.

Unfortunately that is how we have to see it. In a lot of ways the Villa game is more important too.

I we can get 4 points from those 2, we will be in a much stronger position. Ideally 6.

The game at the Emirates is another write off.

Referee was absolutely fine.

We had far too many passengers. Really makes we fear for our chances this season given we didn't work the goalkeeper once.

I doubt any team has been 18th after 22 games and survived by thinking, if they score, it'll only be from set pieces.

In fairness mate, Burnley survived most seasons by thinking exactly that. It's pretty much what we did under Allardyce too.

Unfortunately that is how we have to see it. In a lot of ways the Villa game is more important too.

I we can get 4 points from those 2, we will be in a much stronger position. Ideally 6.

The game at the Emirates is another write off.
Feb 18, Leeds (h).
Feb 25, Villa (h).
Mar 2, Arsenal (a).
Mar 5, Forest (a).
Mar 11, Brentford (h).

What with DCL needing to be managed, I really hope he can play against Leeds and that Dyche knew last night was a write off no matter who played. Like you said, forget the Arsenal game - we have Forest three days later and we need the players as fresh as possible there. Apart from that we have a week between each fixture. 3 home games from the next 5.

Even a modest return of 8-9 points will virtually guarantee our fight will go right down to the wire. We play consecutive games against Chelsea, Spurs and United end of March and into April as well, so we can write those games off, perhaps a point against Spurs.

I do think we haven't got enough in us though this time around. The failure to replace Richarlison will have cost us our place in the Premier League.

The team is poor. I don't think anyone disagrees with that.

But if the ball doesn't hit the post and we go on to win everybody is in heaven today.

It's small margins.

I know what you mean, but if you play the way we did last night you get what you deserve. It wasn´t like we played well and were unlucky. We hit the post in our of our only ventures forward and then got battered for the rest of the game.

Did anyone really expect to win? I've supported Everton for far to many years to ever expect to get anything at Anfield so losing isn't a shock. We could be riding high at the top of the table having won every game up to now and they could have fielded their reserves and you still know they'd get a jammy winner in the 96th minute. The Devil's club mate. It's no surprise they won the league during a global pandemic, it was probably fine print in the contract they signed with Lucifer!
What I did expect was a bit of consistency. A performance on par with the Arsenal game even if the result was different. A performance where we battled, we were smart and we did the basics. What we saw last night was a stark reminder that one of the main reasons we are where we are right now is because of these players... they aren't consistent, most aren't premierleague level. They've bottled game after game and it really doesn't matter whether we have Frank Lampard, Sean Dyche or anyone else in the dug out -they simply aren't good enough and if the few gems we have don't show up we're screwed.

Not buying a striker despite all the warning signs and numerous opportunities to do so is the hill Farhad and the Board will die on. I have nothing against Dom, I don't care what he wears but it's clear a day he's done. Either his body is absolutely knackered and the club/manager don't want to come and tell us that because they're trying to save face - or his heads gone and he simply doesn't trust his body anymore and that's almost worse because what do you do then?

These issues with Dom aren't new either, he's struggled for consistency for 3 seasons now so the gross negligence from those at the top to pin our Premierleague hopes on a player who's body is made of Jenga, whilst selling 2 of our main attacking threats is criminal!

Felt for Simms last night, I assume he was drafted in as he was the closest profile to Dom and Dyche's system replies on that big man upfront. I'm certainly not going to judge the kid on a poor performance in the derby when the seasoned pro's beside him bottled it. If Dom is out for weeks (and let's be brutally honest - even if he comes back he'll only manage a 3 or 4 more games this season) then I think Simms will continue to play but he's going to need the players around him to be flawless and create chances for him. We can't just lump it to him and hope for the best.

Dyche and his team need to learn lessons from last night, move on from it and get the team fully focused on on getting six points off of Leeds and Villa. Do that and we can begin to look at the table and just write last night off as another poor result to an irritable midtable side. We've had plenty of those this season

We really are a gift horse, aren't we?
The RS have been playing very poorly for a while now and look beatable. Enter Everton, here you go lads, have a much needed win.
Salah has hardly had a sniff of a goal.
Enter Everton, here you are lad, grab a confidence boosting goal.
That Gakpo lad looks like a bit of a bad buy.
Enter Everton, here you are lad, you can have one too.
The RS defence has looked suspect for a while.
Enter Everton, don't worry lads, we won't trouble you, have a night off.
The RS midfield is showing its age.
Enter Everton, take it easy lads, we won't trouble you, in fact we'll make you look good.
I could go on.

We really are a gift horse, aren't we?
The RS have been playing very poorly for a while now and look beatable. Enter Everton, here you go lads, have a much needed win.
Salah has hardly had a sniff of a goal.
Enter Everton, here you are lad, grab a confidence boosting goal.
That Gakpo lad looks like a bit of a bad buy.
Enter Everton, here you are lad, you can have one too.
The RS defence has looked suspect for a while.
Enter Everton, don't worry lads, we won't trouble you, have a night off.
The RS midfield is showing its age.
Enter Everton, take it easy lads, we won't trouble you, in fact we'll make you look good.
I could go on.
If your playing terrible and have a striker who can’t score u want to play us

Far too much backward passing again last night. Lack of responsibility from players to try and effect the game. One game and they revert back to the levels that got a manager the sack.

When was the last time these lads bothered to perform 2 weeks in a row? You can almost be sure they will not turn up the week after a good result. I don't know what it is but they seem to get far too carried away based on one game.
I could not understand that...against Arsenal ball back to front with as few passes as possible, and it worked compared to our previous matches, what I call "Frankball"...

Tonight we went back to Frankball...just strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back