2021/22 Lucas Digne

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot to do with managers wanting quick fixes, they don't get long to get it right, so obviously it suited the likes of Koeman for instance to want to buy players at their peak 27/28. One good thing about Benitez, if there was one, he's took a chance and bought two young fullbacks. ( if it was Benitez who bought him)

The problem with this strategy is that when managers inevitably fail and get sacked, that the next manager ends up with their expensive ageing dregs and we can never get rid of them. Like Silva ended up with Schneiderlin, Walcott and Tosun, Carlo was saddled with Delph and Bernard, Benitez has been saddled with Allan. These are players bought with no resale value in order to make an instant impact, they never made that instant impact and now every one of them will have left on a free despite costing us combined about £100m. The point in having a director of football was to stop managers bringing in these short term fixes, yet we’ve allowed every manager to do it. Our player trading strategy has been appalling.

Age is still a factor. Look at the young players we bought that were never part of our first team, players like Vlasic, Lookman and even that Onyekuru. We still managed to make a marginal profit on them even though they barely ever played for us. Teams will pay money for potential, teams will never pay money for a 32 year old.

Of course. But that isn't how you build a team, that's how you run a business. Moyes never did that and he was hamstrung with sell to buy for his whole tenure.

I get we have to do that but that's only 1 part of the game.

Again, I just disagree with the whole age thing. You buy right, age doesn't matter.

Of course. But that isn't how you build a team, that's how you run a business. Moyes never did that and he was hamstrung with sell to buy for his whole tenure.

I get we have to do that but that's only 1 part of the game.

Again, I just disagree with the whole age thing. You buy right, age doesn't matter.

That is how you build a team in the long run. Look around at the top clubs, how many 28 year olds do they buy? Bar the very occasional exception they don’t do it, they buy younger players with the intention of having them grow into a cohesive team by the time they’re that age. Whether we like it or not, Liverpool are the perfect example of how you properly build a team, apart from Thiago they haven’t spent money on anyone over 27 under Klopp. I don’t know how you can disagree with that model tbh.

Digne didn’t need 3 or 4 months to settle, its been one game so far for our new left back and he did ok. We have Godfrey as cover if that’s the case. The ideal centre back partnership at the moment is Mina and Keane if fully fit anyway
Tbf to the new lad, Digne had played in top leagues for top teams before coming here and was also a member of arguably the best international setup at the time.

If the new kid can come in and remain a steady presence whilst he gets up to speed, I’ll be happy.

Fair comment but I worry about the severe lack of pace in the middle with them two in and we have to give up a lot of the pitch because we have to defend deep.

We haven’t got pace anywhere in the team, Digne not got massive pace either. We have let better players go and we have survived. Remember when Jeffers was awesome with us, Rodwell as well and they went on to do nothing. We are bigger than one player. I think if Rafael wasn’t the manager and the same thing happened they nobody would have an issue

The problem with this strategy is that when managers inevitably fail and get sacked, that the next manager ends up with their expensive ageing dregs and we can never get rid of them. Like Silva ended up with Schneiderlin, Walcott and Tosun, Carlo was saddled with Delph and Bernard, Benitez has been saddled with Allan. These are players bought with no resale value in order to make an instant impact, they never made that instant impact and now every one of them will have left on a free despite costing us combined about £100m. The point in having a director of football was to stop managers bringing in these short term fixes, yet we’ve allowed every manager to do it. Our player trading strategy has been appalling.

Spot on that, if that is your strategy, the only way it's going to work is it you can afford or attract the top of the range players at their peak like, dare I say it VanDyke.

Spot on that, if that is your strategy, the only way it's going to work is it you can afford or attract the top of the range players at their peak like, dare I say it VanDyke.

Even he was 26 when they bought him, just entering his peak and not ready to come out of it. Plus he’s a centre back who has never relied on pace, so they would always get that extra few years out of him. I’d have no problem if that was the profile of player we were spending the money on. Apart from the injuries Mina would’ve been our version of that, I don’t have any problem with that signing in theory, it’s just been incredibly unfortunate that he’s so injury prone.

Digne's best by a long way was when he had Bernard in front of him and they linked up like Pienaar and Baines did. Thats how good teams set up with players designed to get the best out of eachother not just sticking 11 players on the pitch but after Silva left we abandoned that plan and Digne's never been as effective since.

First season i thought Bernard was fine played really well, then he tailed off spectacularly, but I thought that pairing did not create enough goals or score enough between them. Though this could be my memory failing me. I know I did enjoy watching Bernard play that first season, though I feel there was never enough end product no matter how pretty it looked.

Hope the lad goes on to enjoy his football wherever it may be. Cant be arsed with the noise and conjecture about how this has come about. Dirty washing doesn't need to be aired in the media, in fact I think it's a very P poor way of doing things.

Benitez was the one airing the dirty washing in the media, Digne said nothing.

First season i thought Bernard was fine played really well, then he tailed off spectacularly, but I thought that pairing did not create enough goals or score enough between them. Though this could be my memory failing me. I know I did enjoy watching Bernard play that first season, though I feel there was never enough end product no matter how pretty it looked.
He tailed off because we stopped picking him really but i agree he wasn't the answer as a first choice pick but thats not really the point instead of getting a better version of Bernard we just changed the whole thing and stopped playing that way. Silva had a lot of faults but when we were good in his first season we played football 10 times better than anything we've played since and thats when Digne was flying because he's a player who suits that style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back