2021/22 Lucas Digne

Status
Not open for further replies.
It should always have been the way we grew the squad, selling 1 and buying 2 or 3, instead of spunking 10s of millions on every signing. Will not have done us any favours though with a fall out - will only have lowered his price.

Everything is up in the air at the club at the moment. Digne being left out wont influence that. It didn't the other night v Arsenal.

No crisis should go unexploited. Benitez has used the one we've been through (and is hopefully behind us) to cut through a lot of dead wood.

He just wants to get to January and get another three in who are his players, then get to the summer and make the majority of the first teamers his players. He can work with a solid base of loyal players from there.

I remember Carragher saying at some point that he thought Benitez used to play him (as in Carragher himself) at left back because he liked his aggression and just wanted to get him in the team somewhere, even though he preferred other centre backs. Wouldn't surprise me if he's doing the same with Godfrey. He's clearly not arsed about having two attacking full backs, regardless.

If he can’t get on with the manager, it is better to take a fee. There is no sense keeping a player that the manager won’t play.

I like Digne a lot, but Godfrey has also done well in that position. He is better at LB than CB, that is for sure.
We'd need to reinvest a chunk of the money in a left-back in the middle of the season...

Maybe our manager should stop being such a massive prat?

I remember Carragher saying at some point that he thought Benitez used to play him (as in Carragher himself) at left back because he liked his aggression and just wanted to get him in the team somewhere, even though he preferred other centre backs. Wouldn't surprise me if he's doing the same with Godfrey. He's clearly not arsed about having two attacking full backs, regardless.
That's fine.

Don't drop the only left-back from the squad entirely.

Godfrey should have been sent off on Monday. Mina got injured. Who would genius Benitez had played at left-back then?

Agreed, unless we have a replacement lined up.
Why should we be looking to replace one of the best left-backs in the league midway through the season?

Benitez's whole plan he keeps banging on about is going to rely on DCL. I know, let's sell one of the best crossers of the ball in the squad because he dared to challenge a manager who had taken us on our worst run since 2005.

Spot on.

And Id say that Godfrey is a way better LB than he is a RB.

Strangely yes. I dont know why that is either. He is very Lescott like in that position.

I love his aggression in that position. Dont get me wrong, at times he had to channel it properly, but I like the aggression. This team needs a bit more of that.

I saw someone the other day say, that while Benitez preached a calmness at Liverpool he had Gerrard, Carragher, Leiva etc to do the dirty work for him. We need one or two to step up and do that.

Why should we be looking to replace one of the best left-backs in the league midway through the season?

Benitez's whole plan he keeps banging on about is going to rely on DCL. I know, let's sell one of the best crossers of the ball in the squad because he dared to challenge a manager who had taken us on our worst run since 2005.

Just to give the other side, because we are up against FFP and to get to the right side of it, certain sacrifices may have to be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.