Lucas Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing that gets me is that if he gets £40k, this is another 2 million per year, plus image rights etc for his wages, and we hummed and harred over a million and lost out on Naughton, who would have cost considerably less in wages.

I thought we did try to increase our offer but Spurs wanted the package deal with Walker for £8mill and give Walker back on loan. I dont think we'd want to pay £8mill just for Naughton or both, and Sheff Utd wouldnt let him speak to us apparantly.

As for Neil. I think Hibbertle will still be 1st choice RB compared to the people he's brought in. I know Moyes I tells ya.

hello lads.

i think the way phil neville is going to be out for a while its a very good signing by moyes because there isnt a better out of contract defender out there at the moment.

add to that he knows the premiership inside out then thats the added bonus for you because he can hit the ground running and he can fill in at midfield aswell as centreback.

i know he aint everyones favourite player but at least its an extra player you have got in the squad even if moyes only signs him for the one season with a new contract pending ?

I thought we did try to increase our offer but Spurs wanted the package deal with Walker for £8mill and give Walker back on loan. I dont think we'd want to pay £8mill just for Naughton or both, and Sheff Utd wouldnt let him speak to us apparantly.

As for Neil. I think Hibbertle will still be 1st choice RB compared to the people he's brought in. I know Moyes I tells ya.

I agree, though I also rate Hibbert a lot higher than most, particularly in his defensive capabilities.

I tend to agree with KB...dont see what extra Lucas Neil can bring to the party?

But it will increase competition for that spot and keep Hibbo on his toes
who knows he could even go on to pop one in the net this season

With Hibbertle I think...he's changed a fair bit, more into a wing back. Back in the day, he was just your normal right back, there to defend. Now because the game is all about the overlapping defender, he's moulded into that. But being that he's never had a proper right winger to help him out, half his game is missing and he cant get forward as much. I dont think he had much time with Arteta on the right, Neville was preffered at RB over him. And he's had to play with Ossie stuck out there.
Ossie pushes in the middle too much and there's not partnership or synergy with him and Hibbo.

Untill Hibbo has a proper winger as a partner and they click, I wont write him off completely. He's a confidence player. He was playing the best he has done last season untill Ashley Young tore him a new arse late in the season, and he never recovered.

I do think its his last season though...as in, we'll get a replacement for him.

I tend to agree with KB...dont see what extra Lucas Neil can bring to the party?

But it will increase competition for that spot and keep Hibbo on his toes
who knows he could even go on to pop one in the net this season

A bit of physical presence. We need it (within reason and no silly reds) because we are prone to back off against a team willing to use muscle. Heitinga also hopefully can help in that respect.

A bit of physical presence. We need it (within reason and no silly reds) because we are prone to back off against a team willing to use muscle. Heitinga also hopefully can help in that respect.

Good post Dave. Nice and positive. A new you?

Look- Lucas Neill has been captain at whatever club he has played at, he is an Aussie international and a solid defender. Hes also a free! We would be stupid not to look at him.

Im actually quite excited by this signing, I rate him as a right back- much better than anything we already have. If Billy boy can get his act together quickly- a wing pairing of Baines-Pienaar and Neill- Bill could go down a storm.

Yeah ...Thinking about it there is that advantage.(y).

I mentioned after the Fulham game that we've lost a bit of bite. Fulham out-bullied us. That used to make us angry and we gave as good as we got, now....I dunno, not so much anymore.

With Hibbertle I think...he's changed a fair bit, more into a wing back. Back in the day, he was just your normal right back, there to defend. Now because the game is all about the overlapping defender, he's moulded into that. But being that he's never had a proper right winger to help him out, half his game is missing and he cant get forward as much. I dont think he had much time with Arteta on the right, Neville was preffered at RB over him. And he's had to play with Ossie stuck out there.
Ossie pushes in the middle too much and there's not partnership or synergy with him and Hibbo.

Untill Hibbo has a proper winger as a partner and they click, I wont write him off completely. He's a confidence player. He was playing the best he has done last season untill Ashley Young tore him a new arse late in the season, and he never recovered.

I do think its his last season though...as in, we'll get a replacement for him.

Hibbo was once voted 'the best right back in the country'.

Sorry - no matter what some might think of Neill (and clearly a lot don't like him) I can't see him warming the bench. Moyes would have had to be talking more than that for Lucas to sign on. Also, I know he has a name for being a mercenary but before the uproar over him snubbing Liverpool for West Ham he was with Blackburn for years and was a fans favourite (until he left). He also clearly has strong leadership skills. He's rated highly by the managers he's worked with and was captain at Blackburn (before Nelson returned from injury), captained West Ham and ditto the Socceroos. That sort of experience is invaluable. The issue of him conceding a lot of fouls is a throwback to his Blackburn days and let's face it that was the sort of football they played/play. Finally, when he's on his game he is more than a decent defender. Of course he might take some time to reach that after missing a whole preseason - although he has been keeping physically fit if not match fit. He reads the game well, is relatively calm under pressure, has great positioning and good distribution. He set up some great attacks for West Ham. I can't help thinking that a lot of the stick he gets emanates from the Liverpool controversy. He was a huge Liverpool fan (I'm sure he's exorcised that particular demon) as a kid but Benitez wasn't offering regular football. So yeah, he's pretty keen on the financial rewards - that doesn't make him a freak among footballers. But he's also highly motivated to succeed and I think that makes him a good signing for the Toffees. (Sorry for the rant....):D

Sorry - no matter what some might think of Neill (and clearly a lot don't like him) I can't see him warming the bench. Moyes would have had to be talking more than that for Lucas to sign on. Also, I know he has a name for being a mercenary but before the uproar over him snubbing Liverpool for West Ham he was with Blackburn for years and was a fans favourite (until he left). He also clearly has strong leadership skills. He's rated highly by the managers he's worked with and was captain at Blackburn (before Nelson returned from injury), captained West Ham and ditto the Socceroos. That sort of experience is invaluable. The issue of him conceding a lot of fouls is a throwback to his Blackburn days and let's face it that was the sort of football they played/play. Finally, when he's on his game he is more than a decent defender. Of course he might take some time to reach that after missing a whole preseason - although he has been keeping physically fit if not match fit. He reads the game well, is relatively calm under pressure, has great positioning and good distribution. He set up some great attacks for West Ham. I can't help thinking that a lot of the stick he gets emanates from the Liverpool controversy. He was a huge Liverpool fan (I'm sure he's exorcised that particular demon) as a kid but Benitez wasn't offering regular football. So yeah, he's pretty keen on the financial rewards - that doesn't make him a freak among footballers. But he's also highly motivated to succeed and I think that makes him a good signing for the Toffees. (Sorry for the rant....):D

Welcome to GOT Lucas hope you get you're chance in the first team(y)

Welcome feetfirst. Just a tip, if you want people to read your opinions best to use paragraphs ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back