Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at Kane, Sterling, Luke Shaw last season, Mason & Bentaleb, Clyne, Alberto Moreno, Coutinho, Emre Can, Ibe, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Coquelin, Bellerin, Berahino to name a few who I think put more of a shift in on a consistent basis.

Theres a list of the players you can even mention in the same breathe as Lukaku with regards to quality; i'd take top quality and massive potential over 'puts a shift in' any day of the week.

No, I'd prefer it if he would put in performances like Thurdays every week but there are reasons he might not be able to and so cut him some slack because of those.

There are genuine issues at times with Lukaku but he seems to get disproportionate criticism in comparison to some of our other players which I feel is unfair.

For instance you have claimed that Rom is lazy and suggested he may only be playing for himself. Couldn't you make the same accusations about Kev - who hasn't had anywhere near the workload over the past 18 months and who should be in his peak performing years. And yet the only comment you have made about him on his thread is that he blows hot and cold.

I appreciate that we paid considerably more for Rom than Kev but shouldn't their performances be judged more on whether they are delivering close to their best and Lukaku is doing that far more often than Kev this season and yet getting considerably more abuse.

Mate, this isn't a thread about Mirallas or else if it was I'd tell you he blows hot and cold and doesn't always play well. I'm not signalling Rom out on purpose, I see him perform differently to you clearly. And yes, I am saying that the majority of the time he is lazy. On Thursday night, the way he played, playing like a proper center forward, is how I expect him to try and play like every week, is that seriously too much to ask of him?!

I get that circumstances in your personal life can effect performances but that can only be used as an excuse for so long! Is that his excuse for times when he was lazy and playing bad at times last season? Will that be an excuse to cut him some slack next season when he as more bad games?!

And I've not once said he's playing for himself either. To me, that's striker who gets the ball in and around the penalty box and tries to work the shot for himself everytime, even though there's the better option of a pass on to a team mate to possibly score. Rom does do it but not everytime and that's a good thing for me so in that sense, I don't think he plays for himself.

I'd agree he's not necessarily putting himself about like Naismith or McCarthy but he's also not standing around like a Balotelli or Berbatov. His work rate is fine for a center forward IMO

Don't get me wrong, he's no Balotelli or Berbatov by any means but there's times where he won't close people down, doesn't attempt to go for headers, gives up on things pretty easily and he doesn't always stay on his toes off the ball and make runs.

I know you can't keep up that energy and tempo for the 90 but for prolonged spells in games, he does slack off, and like I've said before, that's why our play gets stifled, cos he doesn't offer himself enough as an out ball by being on the move, running the channels and in behind, which forces our FB's and midfielders to go back or square. If he keeps on his toes and runs more towards the oppositions goal, we have a forward pass on and are able to get up the pitch and possibly do damage.

When he played like that Thursday, and against Young Boys (H&A) & Lille (H), we was more on the front foot and looked a more dangerous team for it!

Theres a list of the players you can even mention in the same breathe as Lukaku with regards to quality; i'd take top quality and massive potential over 'puts a shift in' any day of the week.

Can't mention them in the same breath, have a day off pal! Haha, I've not once said Lukaku hasn't got the potential, we're talking about work rate. There's no point having all the talent in the world if you don't work hard, just look at the likes of Ronaldo & Messi!

Everyone one of those you've highlighted I'd have at Everton! And I know he plays for those over there but Coutinho is a class above Rom mate, imo anyway. The lad is quality, unbelievable touch and control, skill, eye for a pass/assist, gets goals. I'd bet the majority of blues who support us would have him anyday as our No.10, assisting Rom!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back