Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
What 21 year olds do you see doing it then mate and providing similar goals in a team that don't create chances for their striker?

Rom does work very hard and most of the time he's making his own goals.

He is expected to be everything, link up man target man, goal scorer assister
And he does it all whilst running around up top on his own week in week out for 90 minutes that is hard work so to call him lazy is asbolutely stupid.

Read what I've put pal, I'm not on about goals, im talking about work rate, putting a performance in on a consistent basis, not once in every 5-10 games!

Look at Kane, Sterling, Luke Shaw last season, Mason & Bentaleb, Clyne, Alberto Moreno, Coutinho, Emre Can, Ibe, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Coquelin, Bellerin, Berahino to name a few who I think put more of a shift in on a consistent basis.

And name me 5 of Lukaku's goals that he's made himself then?!

And so he should be expected to do everything up front, be a target man and link player, defend from the front and close down, be a goalscorer. When your the lone striker in a system you have to do all those things, you can't just play up there and not do the unselfish stuff and have goals handed to you on a plate, that's not how it works. And don't make me laugh, he doesn't run around a lot through out the 90! I've noticed a lot this season that he hasn't been on the move much and it shows in our play when we look to play into him up top and yet he never makes the run in behind or drops short and we end up going back or sideways with a pass. On Thursday cos he made an effort, ran the channels and showed for the ball, we had an out ball and got forward a lot quicker than usual but he doesn't do those things enough for me and it's shown in our performances.

At end of day, like I said before, I won't get hung up on Rom having a good game once in a while. When he does, yeah, fair enough I'll give credit when it's due but if he's not pulling his weight, which a lot of the time he hasn't this season, then I'll also so say summat.

Read what I've put pal, I'm not on about goals, im talking about work rate, putting a performance in on a consistent basis, not once in every 5-10 games!

Look at Kane, Sterling, Luke Shaw last season, Mason & Bentaleb, Clyne, Alberto Moreno, Coutinho, Emre Can, Ibe, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Coquelin, Bellerin, Berahino to name a few who I think put more of a shift in on a consistent basis.

And name me 5 of Lukaku's goals that he's made himself then?!

And so he should be expected to do everything up front, be a target man and link player, defend from the front and close down, be a goalscorer. When your the lone striker in a system you have to do all those things, you can't just play up there and not do the unselfish stuff and have goals handed to you on a plate, that's not how it works. And don't make me laugh, he doesn't run around a lot through out the 90! I've noticed a lot this season that he hasn't been on the move much and it shows in our play when we look to play into him up top and yet he never makes the run in behind or drops short and we end up going back or sideways with a pass. On Thursday cos he made an effort, ran the channels and showed for the ball, we had an out ball and got forward a lot quicker than usual but he doesn't do those things enough for me and it's shown in our performances.

At end of day, like I said before, I won't get hung up on Rom having a good game once in a while. When he does, yeah, fair enough I'll give credit when it's due but if he's not pulling his weight, which a lot of the time he hasn't this season, then I'll also so say summat.
I did read what you said, and Lukakus work rate is actually very high. Which is what i said.

We have been rubbish all season. Maradona would have been off this season at Everton.

I know he would, but I'm talking about putting a shift in, work rate, not a performance where he's scored an hat trick, set another 3 up and been a world beater.

Maybe if he did put a shift in every game like the other night, like against Young Boys, Lille, he might get more goals?!

We have been [Poor language removed] but it hasn't stopped likes of Stones, Besic, McCarthy & Naismith working there bollox off when playing as it!

Of Belgium's 5 games he started twice and was a sub two other times so he did more than hardly play especially when you consider that he had to do all the travelling and training anyhow - tiredness can be mental as well as physical.

If you don't like the Costa comparison how about you use one of the other league strikers who has played as much as Lukaku.....good luck with that as you'll have a tough time finding one. Injuries play a part in that but Lukaku has had his own - he played anyway. He has also had family issues - his Dad is very ill and he lost his childhood best mate - he's still played anyway.

And yet you expect him to be some sort of robot whose performances never vary and to do it at an age very few players have good consistency regardless of how young they were when they broke into senior football.

There has been a noticeable difference between his European form and his league form. That could be down to a lot of factors - less pressure, less pressing by opposition, the extra days rest might even help not to mention the rest of the team's performances. But obviously you'd prefer to wonder if he is just playing for himself.

I'm not arsed about who's played how many mins or whatever, it's about what they do in that time, like work hard every game. I watch every everton game somehow, wether that be at Goodison, away grounds or tv and I know what I see. He doesn't work hard enough every game.

I'm not expecting him to be a robot, but at 21 he should be running all game, there fit enough these footballers these days!

And I get that family issues can take your mind off things and effect your work in all walks of life, the illness his dad had ill give you that but losing his mate, Malanda only died the other month, you can't blame that on his performances before that tragedy!

And maybe he did come back from World Cup late and wasn't fit at start of the season, but Sanchez at Arsenal came back late but look at him, look at the German players at Bayern, didn't the bundesliga start before prem and they went of an unbeaten run at the start of the season?!

Anyhow, my point is, imo I don't think he puts enough of a shift in during games, let alone performances. But your obviously happy with what Lukaku produces every game and that's fair enough.

Yeah, and the rest. Stuff I wasn't taking about. And we have a difference of opinion then cos I don't see an high work rate from him.
I'd agree he's not necessarily putting himself about like Naismith or McCarthy but he's also not standing around like a Balotelli or Berbatov. His work rate is fine for a center forward IMO

In terms of work rate, he's a bit of a weird one. Some times he'll run all game, not score and people won't notice. Then other times he'll do next to nothing, score a goal and people won't care anyway.

He's hit and miss. Personally I rate movement ahead of work rate, and my problem with Lukaku has been poor movement rather than work rate overall.

I'm not arsed about who's played how many mins or whatever, it's about what they do in that time, like work hard every game. I watch every everton game somehow, wether that be at Goodison, away grounds or tv and I know what I see. He doesn't work hard enough every game.

I'm not expecting him to be a robot, but at 21 he should be running all game, there fit enough these footballers these days!

And I get that family issues can take your mind off things and effect your work in all walks of life, the illness his dad had ill give you that but losing his mate, Malanda only died the other month, you can't blame that on his performances before that tragedy!

And maybe he did come back from World Cup late and wasn't fit at start of the season, but Sanchez at Arsenal came back late but look at him, look at the German players at Bayern, didn't the bundesliga start before prem and they went of an unbeaten run at the start of the season?!

Anyhow, my point is, imo I don't think he puts enough of a shift in during games, let alone performances. But your obviously happy with what Lukaku produces every game and that's fair enough.
No, I'd prefer it if he would put in performances like Thurdays every week but there are reasons he might not be able to and so cut him some slack because of those.

There are genuine issues at times with Lukaku but he seems to get disproportionate criticism in comparison to some of our other players which I feel is unfair.

For instance you have claimed that Rom is lazy and suggested he may only be playing for himself. Couldn't you make the same accusations about Kev - who hasn't had anywhere near the workload over the past 18 months and who should be in his peak performing years. And yet the only comment you have made about him on his thread is that he blows hot and cold.

I appreciate that we paid considerably more for Rom than Kev but shouldn't their performances be judged more on whether they are delivering close to their best and Lukaku is doing that far more often than Kev this season and yet getting considerably more abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back