Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he can add 20 'controls of a football' to go with his 20 goals next season then we might get some big bids.

It's all about goals in the Premier League. Roms goal scoring tally last season was more impressive than it was this season even though he scored less, because they were mostly scored in the league. Whereas the Europa League is a bit of a joke, especially in its earlier stages.

Yep correct.

Five goals over two games against Young Boys alone. Impressive in its' own right, but if you can't follow that up with goals in the league it's ultimately as meaningless as netting a bagful in a pre-season friendly.

Lukaku is weird in that most players score in European competition as an indication that they're on fire domestically - at Everton, that doesn't seem to happen. Anichebe was similar - a powerhouse who absolutely murdered European lightweight defences, yet did nothing whatsoever in the league in comparison.

He is a young player with a fantastic goalscoring record. Benteke is in a purple patch currently, but when you compare his scoring record to Lukaku, Lukaku outscores him season in season out as well as being 2 years younger.

We will not want to sell him. I don't think he's desperate to leave, but another mid table finish and he will go. If someone comes in with an offer we can't refuse then I suspect he will go. If not 40 million will be what we will need to consider selling.

I have doubts about this, tbh. Lets be really honest here - he's not good enough for England's CL sides. He's certainly not good enough for Spain's top 2 and probably not their other CL sides either. Germany? Probably not. France? Perhaps. One of the lesser CL nations, like Turkey or Russia? More likely.

Putting aside this season's pitiful showing, we're a 2nd tier club side - regularly in and around the EL spots. Lukaku has not shown he is of CL quality. He has not greatly improved (some would say hasn't improved at all) since he joined us on loan, and there's no evidence to prove he hasn't already peaked (not to say he's going to start declining, but merely may not get any better).

I'm just not buying it that the future is super-bright for Lukaku and he will definitely get his wish for regular CL football.

he's good enough for 3 of the sides in the top seeds alone, hes good enough for the 2nd, 3rd & 4th best sides in Germany, the 4th best side in Spain.

Thats before you even get to the lesser nations.

It's all about goals in the Premier League. Roms goal scoring tally last season was more impressive than it was this season even though he scored less, because they were mostly scored in the league. Whereas the Europa League is a bit of a joke, especially in its earlier stages.

even though he scored most if his goals in the knockouts!!

Belgium started to fall to bits last night shortly after Rom came on. 4-1 up to scraping a 4-3 win in the end. One wonders if Belgium missed Benteke's superior ability to lead the line? If I was one of these "top" clubs interested in a centre forward this summer, it's Benteke's direction I'd be looking in. Not only does he have a release clause but he's also more suited to the job right now.

I'm sure the "top" clubs are aware of this, though, and they won't be swayed by Rom's agent and mates spitting superlatives about him.

Benteke was not good yesterday. Lukaku looked more alive when he came on, and actually passed the ball around pretty wel and hit the post for 1-5. But then more players were substituted and the overall game got messy.
This really was not due to Lukaku. It's all in the eye of the beholder: if Lukaku played like Benteke the first half, everyone would comment how bad his first touch was and his terrible header; if Benteke played like Lukaku he would get praise for his one touch passes.

saha on Rom:

Louis Saha says Romelu Lukaku must prove he’s capable of scoring 30 goals a season at Everton before he can talk about playing for a club in the Champions League.

Lukaku has admitted his desire to play in Europe’s premier club competition, but former Everton striker Saha says the Belgian has a lot of work to do to prove he’s among the best.

He said: “He’s a massive talent, he’s huge and got an immense physique. What I’ve heard about him is he can be a really top player.

“But there’s more of an issue getting him to score above 30 goals, because it is way above a number of (other) players and he should be doing it week in week out. That’s the little push he needs.

“Maybe at some point he is willing to go to a different level, I think any player of this calibre will think about moving to a Champions League club, but I think he needs to score more goals for Everton.”

Saha, who scored 35 goals in 115 games for the Toffees, believes Lukaku is one of a few strikers capable of beating teams single-handedly, but he says the 22-year-old must add more aggression to his game in order to realise his potential.

He explained: “Maybe he just needs to work a little bit harder in terms of aggression and the type of qualities a number nine needs to be on top. But definitely he’s one of the best strikers in the league.

“You have a few strikers who can completely destroy a team on their own , and he’s one of them. There is no doubt about it.”

I still love how Rom is to blame for his lack of prem goals.....has anyone actually watched out attackers this season??? The lad fed on scraps ffs.

saha on Rom:

Louis Saha says Romelu Lukaku must prove he’s capable of scoring 30 goals a season at Everton before he can talk about playing for a club in the Champions League.

Lukaku has admitted his desire to play in Europe’s premier club competition, but former Everton striker Saha says the Belgian has a lot of work to do to prove he’s among the best.

He said: “He’s a massive talent, he’s huge and got an immense physique. What I’ve heard about him is he can be a really top player.

“But there’s more of an issue getting him to score above 30 goals, because it is way above a number of (other) players and he should be doing it week in week out. That’s the little push he needs.

“Maybe at some point he is willing to go to a different level, I think any player of this calibre will think about moving to a Champions League club, but I think he needs to score more goals for Everton.”

Saha, who scored 35 goals in 115 games for the Toffees, believes Lukaku is one of a few strikers capable of beating teams single-handedly, but he says the 22-year-old must add more aggression to his game in order to realise his potential.

He explained: “Maybe he just needs to work a little bit harder in terms of aggression and the type of qualities a number nine needs to be on top. But definitely he’s one of the best strikers in the league.

“You have a few strikers who can completely destroy a team on their own , and he’s one of them. There is no doubt about it.”

Saha should know all about destroying teams all on his own. He destroyed ours for about 2 years.

I still love how Rom is to blame for his lack of prem goals.....has anyone actually watched out attackers this season??? The lad fed on scraps ffs.

....he did but there is still room for improvement. There were a few occasions last season where we needed one of our top players to score something out of nothing, that's what the very best are capable of. I like Lukaku, he's what we've needed for a long time, hopefully he will be even better next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back