Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Belgium started to fall to bits last night shortly after Rom came on. 4-1 up to scraping a 4-3 win in the end. One wonders if Belgium missed Benteke's superior ability to lead the line? If I was one of these "top" clubs interested in a centre forward this summer, it's Benteke's direction I'd be looking in. Not only does he have a release clause but he's also more suited to the job right now.

I'm sure the "top" clubs are aware of this, though, and they won't be swayed by Rom's agent and mates spitting superlatives about him.
Roms not a finished product yet so I agree he has flaws to his game. However I think you're reading way too much into a friendly match. Mertens, felli, witsel, and one of their starting CBs all came off before France's last two goals. After a bunch of subs in friendlies teams get complacent.

It's purely an attitude issue imo. I wish he would just belt up and do the talking by scoring goals. Sick of hearing players whining about always looking to progress...not in the teams theyre in mind you..oh no...looking to progress for a move elsewhere.

It's purely an attitude issue imo. I wish he would just belt up and do the talking by scoring goals. Sick of hearing players whining about always looking to progress...not in the teams theyre in mind you..oh no...looking to progress for a move elsewhere.

He got 20 of them though.

I think the majority of us are content with him, and ideally would like proper support for him.

I can't fathom how someone can be perceived to be a bad player when he's got 20 goals in a badly performing side.
Like you say to score 20 goals in a bad performing side that didn't create that much for him is a good effort from him.
Hopefully after resting this summer he will come back firing for next season.

Everton's a stepping stone for him... I get that and accept it. If however, he wants to move to one of the big boys, he's gonna have to step up to the plate and start putting away 20+ league goals. He can't just big himself up and run his mouth without producing the goods.

I have doubts about this, tbh. Lets be really honest here - he's not good enough for England's CL sides. He's certainly not good enough for Spain's top 2 and probably not their other CL sides either. Germany? Probably not. France? Perhaps. One of the lesser CL nations, like Turkey or Russia? More likely.

Putting aside this season's pitiful showing, we're a 2nd tier club side - regularly in and around the EL spots. Lukaku has not shown he is of CL quality. He has not greatly improved (some would say hasn't improved at all) since he joined us on loan, and there's no evidence to prove he hasn't already peaked (not to say he's going to start declining, but merely may not get any better).

I'm just not buying it that the future is super-bright for Lukaku and he will definitely get his wish for regular CL football.

I have doubts about this, tbh. Lets be really honest here - he's not good enough for England's CL sides. He's certainly not good enough for Spain's top 2 and probably not their other CL sides either. Germany? Probably not. France? Perhaps. One of the lesser CL nations, like Turkey or Russia? More likely.

Putting aside this season's pitiful showing, we're a 2nd tier club side - regularly in and around the EL spots. Lukaku has not shown he is of CL quality. He has not greatly improved (some would say hasn't improved at all) since he joined us on loan, and there's no evidence to prove he hasn't already peaked (not to say he's going to start declining, but merely may not get any better).

I'm just not buying it that the future is super-bright for Lukaku and he will definitely get his wish for regular CL football.

It's a stepping stone for him as in in his own head.

There's absolutely no way at all a top club in Spain or even England would spend the money on him. That's why only Wolfsburg were interested last summer. He has simply too many faults to his game to be considered by a top club.

He still has to have a consistent, brilliant season, not just in terms of goals, but in terms of performance. Scouts aren't stupid when it comes to judging whether a player is worth a £30m+ punt for any club.

We are a stepping club for him though because of his age though. Not that his future is 'super bright' but he is going to improve with time barring major injuries. I'd wager, by the age of 26 (the end of his contract with us - though we will most likely sell him before that), he'll be at a club bigger in stature than Everton - or at least more successful at that point. Maybe not Real or Barca or Bayern, but PSG, Juve etc.

It's all about goals in the Premier League. Roms goal scoring tally last season was more impressive than it was this season even though he scored less, because they were mostly scored in the league. Whereas the Europa League is a bit of a joke, especially in its earlier stages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back