• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Man City to sue PL

Football has always allowed unlimited spending, it's only changed very recently. I don't agree with faking sponsorship deals but I don't see why clubs can't spend whatever they like on players if they can afford it.
We didn't have oil rich murdering states with unlimited funds to finance such ventures before.
It's ridiculous to not have restraints on spending if the funds have not been commercially earned by the clubs. We'd end up with 6 teams all owned by America and the assorted gulf states paying whatever it takes not only to buy all the best players but also price anyo other competitor out of the market. I wouldn't wanna play monoploy with someone who had their own bank.
City must be punished - but I fear the PL hasn't got the guts to take them on. Bought and paid for.

We didn't have oil rich murdering states with unlimited funds to finance such ventures before.
It's ridiculous to not have restraints on spending if the funds have not been commercially earned by the clubs. We'd end up with 6 teams all owned by America and the assorted gulf states paying whatever it takes not only to buy all the best players but also price anyo other competitor out of the market. I wouldn't wanna play monoploy with someone who had their own bank.
City must be punished - but I fear the PL hasn't got the guts to take them on. Bought and paid for.
They got unlimited money and army of lawyers, they just gonna drawn this out.

Pl didn't really learn their lesson anyway with allowing fricking states to own the clubs, because if they did they wouldn't allow Saudis too to buy a club. I guess all that sweet money and bribes did their thing

If you were a top player now and had City after you, wouldn't it be a pretty bad time to join them seeing as there's at least still a small chance of them being kicked out the league, etc? The wise decision would be to wait another year and see what the outcome is.

I think Guardiola will jump ship very quickly if it looks like they're about to be smashed as it'll mean all of his work and success was attained through cheating.

I think this time next year we'll know football is officially finished or back on the path to some kind of fairness - very likely the former.

If you were a top player now and had City after you, wouldn't it be a pretty bad time to join them seeing as there's at least still a small chance of them being kicked out the league, etc? The wise decision would be to wait another year and see what the outcome is.

I think Guardiola will jump ship very quickly if it looks like they're about to be smashed as it'll mean all of his work and success was attained through cheating.

I think this time next year we'll know football is officially finished or back on the path to some kind of fairness - very likely the former.
Not really, as they will get a big payday, and then another big signing bonus after their contract with city is voided following any kind of expulsion from the league.

(Not that it will happen, they’ll just long it out until it goes away.)

European Super League with unlimited spending.
Relegation terrifies me, but if we were left alone in a financially smaller league because the so called top 6 have buggered off then I'd be fine with that, and would likely start to enjoy it quickly. That of course is if we could survive the fallout of TV money etc being withdrawn

I mean just the thought of a league allowing clubs to essentially fake sponsorship deals in order to invest unlimited money is insanity.

If City win this it guarantees them success for decades to come. Our new stadium will count for nothing and any faint hope of a decent new owner arriving and increasing our chances of success is finished.

City and Newcastle will have unlimited money to dominate the league and cups every season, and Europe doesn't matter for us anyway as we're nowhere near and even if we snook in in the future you'd have to come across one of them anyway, so European success is also off the cards.

Liverpool would end up state owned in a matter of seasons, and that's the top three spots and domestic cups locked out forever.

It'll make it very easy to walk away from Everton and football once and for all.

The one positive is that the Premier League's rules can be changed by 14 teams voting in favour of a proposal - and there are definitely more than 14 extremely anti-City clubs in the league right now.
Exactly, the bigger picture in a nutshell 👍

If City want to destroy the whole thing I’ve got no problem with it. Do people think the alternative is some utopia where Everton get a fair crack of the whip? Of course it isn’t. The alternative is a league completely owned by the sky six, especially United and Liverpool, with points deductions galore for any team that dares try to break in. Spending profiled by revenue will keep every club in their lane and Everton will never win anything ever again.

If City destroy the whole thing then it opens up billionaires buying Everton and having a chance to compete again. Under the current format we have no chance.

What’s embarrassing is how meekly Evertonians accept their lot under the PL rather than all this faux moral opposition to City fans on the internet. I wish we’d won 4 PLs in a row and still had the stones to sue the premier league rather than us being pleased with the PL for saying we didn’t act in bad faith when they changed our points deduction from 10 to 6 then gave Forest 4 for good behaviour which they then appealed against.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back