Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think early days given he needed to shift a lot of players.

He's also had one managerial appointment, and that was Carlo Ancelotti.

[EDIT] Although that said, he persevered for well too long with Silva and ended up sacking him, without a clue either given Ancelotti was still in a job at that point.

Im not sure hes done either to be honest, recruited well or shifted players. I was watching today and thinking - all the money spent and the kids are our best players. Bernard and Iwobi coming of the bench, my heart just sank knowing they would make no impact or be effective and so it was. Its just not good enough mate, its to much money wasted. Cost/benefit. I have all the patience in the world, but we have been overtaken by Wolves, Sheff Utd and Burnley.

I'll strive to be as righteous as you and hopefully stick to the path of light.

Maybe one day I'll make it to the lofty heights of self-appointed Forum Police like your good self.

I get temp bans every 5 minutes so not sure you've got the right image of me. Perfectly happy to have annoyed you by reporting someone joking about arson.

No better than the Reds.

I get temp bans every 5 minutes so not sure you've got the right image of me. Perfectly happy to have annoyed you by reporting someone joking about arson.

No better than the Reds.
I'm not sure you have the right image of me either as I'm not annoyed, merely midly amused.

Let's leave it there anyway.

Think this City ruling tomorrow is going to be key, if they win it then take any losses you can and get shut of Pickford, Sigurdsson, Mina, Delph and Davies then spend big. If they lose then do it anyway and take the consequences

"The Architect"

OIP.webp

I wrote this in February and still stand by it now:

TL;DR - We’re gonna be just fine.

I’m a big fan of Brands and I’m a big fan of the DoF model but only when it is utilised correctly. I understand the frustrations with some on his transfer business or the business he didn’t do but I think we need to take a few steps back and assess the situation and the bigger picture.

For a DoF to be successful there needs to be a symbiotic relationship between him and the manager but there also needs to be a clear long term plan in place. In my opinion Brands never wanted Silva but Moshiri had the say in that and we’re still paying the price for that and for the Koeman/Walsh era. We currently have a squad assembled to meet the needs of about 3 managers who all play a different style of football which is just a horrid situation to be in.

I honestly believe if we’d have been fortunate enough to be able to bring Ancelotti in when Brands joined our squad would be in much better shape. I think it was actually a really shrewd move holding out on transfers this January because I think they’d have only been short-term solutions that would become a problem further down the line. We forget Ancelotti has only been here 6 weeks ish and his relationship with Brands is at its nascent. They will both still be learning the sort of player required going forward and I don’t think the thorough scouting will have been in place for a manager brought in a couple of weeks before a window opens.

The way I see a DoF working is that he comes into a club alongside a long-term manager who then decides the sort of playstyle and player profile he wants. The DoF then has a clear idea of what to buy/grow to help the manager be successful. If we need a left-back then we’ll have a list of left-back profiles to go for or we look to the academy. If the academy needs a left-back and there’s nothing coming though the age group below: sign a left-back for the academy. The reason them lot, regrettably, work so well is because Klopp enforced 4-3-3 and he is strict in the profile of player he wants. They buy carbon copy replacements and they grow carbon copy replacements in the academy whilst selling those that will never fit Klopp’s plan.

I believe this Summer is going to be the complete wiping of the slate with a lot of players out of contract and a lot that are on their last year. Ancelotti will have had 6 months to imprint his style and Brands will have had 6 months to look for players that fit this style. The likes of Iwobi would not have been bought last year if Ancelotti was in charge as they don’t really fit his system.

It’s a shame the Euros fall when they do but I’m confident we will have a prosperous summer and a great 2020/21 season.

What I don't get is that Ancelotti was hired on Dec 21st. They had the entire month of January to bring in SOMEONE who would fit the Ancelotti mold yet Marcel doesn't like the January window and thats that? Why on Earth would you hire one of the most accomplished managers in the world and not bring in ANYONE in their first window?

What I don't get is that Ancelotti was hired on Dec 21st. They had the entire month of January to bring in SOMEONE who would fit the Ancelotti mold yet Marcel doesn't like the January window and thats that? Why on Earth would you hire one of the most accomplished managers in the world and not bring in ANYONE in their first window?

Ancelotti's first month here to evaluate the squad up close was also the window. Signing anyone in that window would have just been a Tosun/Walcott band aid fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back