Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monchi might have a board with players for each position (don't think it's an actual board that was Moyes) but those players need to suit a system.

We've been 4-2-3-1 for years now and as such Brands will have players for that formation not 4-4-2 which you'll agree requires completely different profiles for wide mids and centre mids.
But its something that Ancelotti has played for years and him saying "I need players for this system" should have had Brands do his job in January for a change.

I wrote this in February and still stand by it now:

TL;DR - We’re gonna be just fine.

I’m a big fan of Brands and I’m a big fan of the DoF model but only when it is utilised correctly. I understand the frustrations with some on his transfer business or the business he didn’t do but I think we need to take a few steps back and assess the situation and the bigger picture.

For a DoF to be successful there needs to be a symbiotic relationship between him and the manager but there also needs to be a clear long term plan in place. In my opinion Brands never wanted Silva but Moshiri had the say in that and we’re still paying the price for that and for the Koeman/Walsh era. We currently have a squad assembled to meet the needs of about 3 managers who all play a different style of football which is just a horrid situation to be in.

I honestly believe if we’d have been fortunate enough to be able to bring Ancelotti in when Brands joined our squad would be in much better shape. I think it was actually a really shrewd move holding out on transfers this January because I think they’d have only been short-term solutions that would become a problem further down the line. We forget Ancelotti has only been here 6 weeks ish and his relationship with Brands is at its nascent. They will both still be learning the sort of player required going forward and I don’t think the thorough scouting will have been in place for a manager brought in a couple of weeks before a window opens.

The way I see a DoF working is that he comes into a club alongside a long-term manager who then decides the sort of playstyle and player profile he wants. The DoF then has a clear idea of what to buy/grow to help the manager be successful. If we need a left-back then we’ll have a list of left-back profiles to go for or we look to the academy. If the academy needs a left-back and there’s nothing coming though the age group below: sign a left-back for the academy. The reason them lot, regrettably, work so well is because Klopp enforced 4-3-3 and he is strict in the profile of player he wants. They buy carbon copy replacements and they grow carbon copy replacements in the academy whilst selling those that will never fit Klopp’s plan.

I believe this Summer is going to be the complete wiping of the slate with a lot of players out of contract and a lot that are on their last year. Ancelotti will have had 6 months to imprint his style and Brands will have had 6 months to look for players that fit this style. The likes of Iwobi would not have been bought last year if Ancelotti was in charge as they don’t really fit his system.

It’s a shame the Euros fall when they do but I’m confident we will have a prosperous summer and a great 2020/21 season.

@PhilRegan

Have a read of this and it'll make more sense on why I think no January signings was the right thing to do.

Re: Bruno Fernandes that was just the first thing I found but they were definitely linked long before the Jan window.

But its something that Ancelotti has played for years and him saying "I need players for this system" should have had Brands do his job in January for a change.

To me that's what this Summer's business will be.

Carlo might have thought we needed 2 right wingers but then looked at the squad in training/matches in Jan and thought we were okay there. (Hypothetically)

To me that's what this Summer's business will be.

Carlo might have thought we needed 2 right wingers but then looked at the squad in training/matches in Jan and thought we were okay there. (Hypothetically)
His very first match when Dunc was in charge against Arsenal, there were multiple shots of him absolutely appalled at the players on the pitch. That's literally all you needed to see. He shouldn't have needed 6 weeks to realize that we were beyond awful in a couple positions.

I will acquiesce that it is more difficult to get players in January but not to where refusing to do business at all should be acceptable.

His very first match when Dunc was in charge against Arsenal, there were multiple shots of him absolutely appalled at the players on the pitch. That's literally all you needed to see. He shouldn't have needed 6 weeks to realize that we were beyond awful in a couple positions.

I will acquiesce that it is more difficult to get players in January but not to where refusing to do business at all should be acceptable.

What if Carlo said he didn't need anyone Jan save it for the Summer?

@PhilRegan

Have a read of this and it'll make more sense on why I think no January signings was the right thing to do.

Re: Bruno Fernandes that was just the first thing I found but they were definitely linked long before the Jan window.
I see your point. There's still scar tissue from the previous regime. But we still needed the same positions strengthening way before Ancelotti came into the picture. Regardless of your paper formations a good central midfielder is a good central midfielder etc. Surely he doesn't just make a start on identifying his targets a month before the window opens ? That would be absurd.

I see your point. There's still scar tissue from the previous regime. But we still needed the same positions strengthening way before Ancelotti came into the picture. Regardless of your paper formations a good central midfielder is a good central midfielder etc. Surely he doesn't just make a start on identifying his targets a month before the window opens ? That would be absurd.

But I think we wanted JPG and Gomes together in midfield at the start of the season behind a number 10 (Sig/Iwobi).

JPG and Gomes were unlucky this season but also due back in the New Year so again unlucky when one was injured again. We're also now using a formation that puts more pressure on the central midfielders - I am fully confident Carlo and Marcel know we need at least 2 centre mids.

The Brands "bought our 2 best players" argument only works if the other members of the squad contributing to the problem are not his.
Of the squad today, 4 were home grown, & the other is our main scorer.
Mina, Iwobi. Bernard, Sidibe, Kean and Branthwaite are his. Not one of them have been a success. Then you add in Gomes, Gbamin and Delph who have also done nothing for different reasons
This quickly adds up to Brands being appalling at his job. Walsh got sacked for less

Given the situation with coronavirus and how our squad already have taken on wage deferrals, how much money will actually be available this summer? I can’t see it being enough to actually make enough quality signings.

The journalists (who may not know much, but certainly more than us) are suggesting we have next to nothing to spend this window. Free transfers and loans. Buckle up.

But I think we wanted JPG and Gomes together in midfield at the start of the season behind a number 10 (Sig/Iwobi).

JPG and Gomes were unlucky this season but also due back in the New Year so again unlucky when one was injured again. We're also now using a formation that puts more pressure on the central midfielders - I am fully confident Carlo and Marcel know we need at least 2 centre mids.
But everybody in world football knew that we didn't have what was on paper available to play on the pitch. Why couldn't we sign somebody who was better than what we had ? Instead we crossed our fingers and hoped for the best. I think Ancelotti is certainly aware.

But everybody in world football knew that we didn't have what was on paper available to play on the pitch. Why couldn't we sign somebody who was better than what we had ? Instead we crossed our fingers and hoped for the best. I think Ancelotti is certainly aware.

I think with Schneids, Davies, Sig and Gomes back shortly they must have thought that's enough to get through the rest of the season.

I mean it's all irrelevant now let's just see who comes in/leaves this window.

I think with Schneids, Davies, Sig and Gomes back shortly they must have thought that's enough to get through the rest of the season.

I mean it's all irrelevant now let's just see who comes in/leaves this window.
Again though that's hope. He should of signed somebody better.

I don't think it is irrelevant he needs to be held accountable. He seems to be getting a free pass for his mistakes.

The journalists (who may not know much, but certainly more than us) are suggesting we have next to nothing to spend this window. Free transfers and loans. Buckle up.
I’ve never expected anything but this except maybe balancing incoming fees with outgoing but that’s gonna be difficult , we are making a big loss again so can’t see a big spend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back