Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Job is on the line this summer, no doubt.

Steve Walsh first season - 61 points
Marcel Brands first season - 54 points

Steve Walsh second season - 49 points
Marcel Brands second season - 44 points with 3 games remaining.

Seen as though our squad looks like it has completely given up, there's every chance that we may do comparatively worse for a second straight season under Brand's stewardship compared to Walsh's.

It may be an overly simplistic way of looking at things, but the bottom line is that we have not improved under him. He was dealt a very bad hand coming into this club with what Walsh and Koeman had left behind, but in another way improving on what Walsh did at Everton should have been easily achievable. Walsh was completely new to the DoF role as well and Brands came with a very good reputation.

I'm willing to give him another season but my confidence in his ability to get this right has been shaken enormously.

It may be an overly simplistic way of looking at things, but the bottom line is that we have not improved under him. He was dealt a very bad hand coming into this club with what Walsh and Koeman had left behind, but in another way improving on what Walsh did at Everton should have been easily achievable. Walsh was completely new to the DoF role as well and Brands came with a very good reputation.

To be honest, if he was going the way it looked like - selling off the rot and getting the wage bill down - people would forgive him quite a lot. But the Iwobi signing shows lessons just haven't been learned.

GK
2 x CB (can’t trust Mina with injuries)
2 x CM

They would be the 3 main areas I’d look at. I think we may also need full back covers if Kenny doesn’t come back, we don’t take up the option on Sidibe (which is likely) and Baines doesn’t re-sign. A left footed RW or a right footed LW possibly and another striker wouldn’t go amiss either but the back and middle are the top priority

To be honest, if he was going the way it looked like - selling off the rot and getting the wage bill down - people would forgive him quite a lot. But the Iwobi signing shows lessons just haven't been learned.

This is the problem. We were supposed to be past paying over the odds just to get someone in at the last minute. Hopefully it won't happen again.

As for making signings in January, we simply couldn't afford it unless we got someone out. Our wage bill is through the roof - signing a player of significance in Jan without making space for them first would have been taking a huge risk financially.

As for making signings in January, we simply couldn't afford it unless we got someone out. Our wage bill is through the roof - signing a player of significance in Jan without making space for them first would have been taking a huge risk financially.

We had just posted loses of 112m, we had 8 midfielders on our books, yet people are shocked we didn't sign Bruno Fernades for 80m.

Job is on the line this summer, no doubt.

Steve Walsh first season - 61 points
Marcel Brands first season - 54 points

Steve Walsh second season - 49 points
Marcel Brands second season - 44 points with 3 games remaining.

Seen as though our squad looks like it has completely given up, there's every chance that we may do comparatively worse for a second straight season under Brand's stewardship compared to Walsh's.

I'm willing to give him another season but my confidence in his ability to get this right has been shaken enormously.
Your last paragraph is telling. I was on the fence but I’m moving more towards a change. Too late for 5pathos window I suspect though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back