Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silva will have to be handed a lot more slack than the free-spending Koeman was handed, that's for sure. If he's managing an Everton cutting costs then we cant be expecting a good top half finish next season.

I think he'll do well with whatever he has to work with, but I think a club looking to claw money back in is going to make a bare mid-table position acceptable.

I think people need to be realistic about expectations. You can cut costs and work in the long run, but in the short term there will be a hit.

I understand that, which is why I say "if" that's to be the plan adopted.

I'm responding to the continually underlined message from Brands since even before he arrived officially here: that costs are coming down and wages are going to bear the strain of much of that cost cutting.

He's here to weild the axe, no question about that and he doesn't bother dressing wis words up and hiding that message either. I think most of us will be of the mind that "yeah, there's been wastage here over the last 2 years so I dont mind that". However, an eye needs to be kept on just how much he's cutting. If it's to the bone then we dont have the academy players or scouting network to make up the shortfall in intended spending...and I sense that others on this forum are making that calculation too.
39 first team squad players Dave
39 let that sink in.

Has it sunk in.
He could get rid of 13 , buy no one , save us a 5/600 thousand a week in wages and the squad would still be big enough to go through a non European season.

I think the way it will work is Silva will tell Marcel he wants a player for a certain position with certain attributes.
Marcel will then give Silva a list of options and they will go through them and decide on a player
If Silva wants a player not on the list then he will have to put up a bloody good argument as to why we should sign him
And he's not going to. Silva may know a bit about some players based on past experience, but it's not like he's going to be out there doing scouting. He needs to be focused on training and evaluating the current team and making sure we are successful on matchday. That's plenty.

He can tell Marcel whether someone can or cannot fit into his scheme and the overall club vision. That's it.

If he goes for cheap buys that's fine but he needs 1 decent midfielder/leader that can take the game by the scruff of the neck.
Also in a 4-4-3 the work rate of the players is going to have to increase by at least another 20%, a
It will be interesting to see how the players respond to his tactics

That's a great point. Silva teams work. They run a ton.

And he's not going to. Silva may know a bit about some players based on past experience, but it's not like he's going to be out there doing scouting. He needs to be focused on training and evaluating the current team and making sure we are successful on matchday. That's plenty.

He can tell Marcel whether someone can or cannot fit into his scheme and the overall club vision. That's it.

Silva will be like every other PL manager
He will watch games from all over Europe and make his own mind up on certain players.
Wether Brands takes any notice is anybody’s guess

If he goes for cheap buys that's fine but he needs 1 decent midfielder/leader that can take the game by the scruff of the neck.
Also in a 4-4-3 the work rate of the players is going to have to increase by at least another 20%, a
It will be interesting to see how the players respond to his tactics
I see your point,but this type of player costs the sort of money it seems he won't have to spend.

The point is that no one NEEDS to say it out loud. Just do it and stop telling everyone your thoughts on it. It has the effect of undermining a manager.

People moan when they hear nothing from the club. Brands is signalling intentions, keeps fans in the know, trying to bring the fans back together after what happened last season, when the club and fans were so distant!

I'm impressed with what brands is saying, but I'm sure once the season starts hell let the results/silva do the talking.

But for the off season, let him continue to talk and inform us fans.

Silva will have to be handed a lot more slack than the free-spending Koeman was handed, that's for sure. If he's managing an Everton cutting costs then we cant be expecting a good top half finish next season.

I think he'll do well with whatever he has to work with, but I think a club looking to claw money back in is going to make a bare mid-table position acceptable.
BFS managed 8th comfortably playing horrid footy with the same group of players. I expect 8th as bare minimum and I also expect current players to improve under the new approach

Silva will be like every other PL manager
He will watch games from all over Europe and make his own mind up on certain players.
Wether Brands takes any notice is anybody’s guess
If he seriously has the time to do that considering the overhaul in front of him at Everton, he'll be fired within 6 months.

Bare minimum must surely be 7th. What our management team and owner, there can be no excuse to finish behind anybody such as Leicester or Burnley.
Leicester will lose Mahrez and wether Evans can step up to replace Morgan is anybody’s guess
Burnley have Europe to contend with.
I can see Wolves if the get their signings right being in the 8-12 position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back