Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
New style of play; more emphasis on playing youngsters - a transition like that isn't happening overnight.

I'd take anywhere between 12th and 9th as a reasonable first season.
Silva wouldn’t survive his first season if we finished 9th-12th. It’s 7th as the bear minimum. Too much rubbish it this league to be finishing lower than that.

We went through 3 managers with 3 different approaches and still managed 8th. So in some respects we will have less change this season (hopefully!). We had some players who were so bad we may as well not had them on the pitch, we had a hugely negative environment at Goodison and I just think with some positivity and only a couple of decent signings we’ll be lots better off.
I think there\s more continuity from Koeman to Allardyce than from Allardyce to Silva, tbh.

You might be right about a home crowd more willing to forgive errors. That could be worth a few more points.

I think there\s more continuity from Koeman to Allardyce than from Allardyce to Silva, tbh.

You might be right about a home crowd more willing to forgive errors. That could be worth a few more points.
That’s a fair point. I just think, bizarrely that the players we have are better suited to Silva - certainly in attack. Defence and midfield needs attention but I’m hoping Brands has clocked that!

Spot on Dave, I think we have been too impatient though there is some argument for that, however moving forward I think we are in the situation now where we have to get behind Silva and cut him plenty of slack.

First of all getting back to an attractive playing style might be a slightly bumpy road, us as supporters let alone the players will have to get used to the new management set up after all those who are hyper negative will have to know who to boo.

If Silva can improve the playing style, bring some respectability back to the management side of things, avoid us being dragged into a relegation battle, stabilise and improve the quality of the squad then that will be good foundations to build on for the following season.

I hope I don't sound negative here but last season was dreadful for so many reasons and really put us back on the seat of our pants

We are not going to turn into world beaters overnight, I really don't know if Brands/Silva is the answer but they are a far better proposition than Allardyce and I for one will get behind them and give them the time and space they will need.

Spot on Dave, I think we have been too impatient though there is some argument for that, however moving forward I think we are in the situation now where we have to get behind Silva and cut him plenty of slack.

First of all getting back to an attractive playing style might be a slightly bumpy road, us as supporters let alone the players will have to get used to the new management set up after all those who are hyper negative will have to know who to boo.

If Silva can improve the playing style, bring some respectability back to the management side of things, avoid us being dragged into a relegation battle, stabilise and improve the quality of the squad then that will be good foundations to build on for the following season.

I hope I don't sound negative here but last season was dreadful for so many reasons and really put us back on the seat of our pants

We are not going to turn into world beaters overnight, I really don't know if Brands/Silva is the answer but they are a far better proposition than Allardyce and I for one will get behind them and give them the time and space they will need.
Mate, when Martinez tipped up I said his main task was to persuade a generation of Everton fans raised on the muck served up by Smith and Moyes that football was played on the ground and had technique...re-learning the code, in effect, that this club was built upon playing wise.

There are defo a lot of people still knocking about who (even after the calamity of the last two seasons and the embarrassingly outdated rubbish football served up) will be waiting to denounce a manager trying to get us playing football again. Thankfully the club hierarchy will not listen to them again...principally because the price of changing managers is an unbearable burden.

Last edited:
I see your point,but this type of player costs the sort of money it seems he won't have to spend.
he has to do it tho.
you have seen what not having lukaku and barkley has done to the team. the stlye of play is going to be changed completely, if it doesent go to plan he needs players that can win him games.

the lack of quality in the team is there for all to see.

he has to do it tho.
you have seen what not having lukaku and barkley has done to the team. the stlye of play is going to be changed completely, if it doesent go to plan he needs players that can win him games.

the lack of quality in the team is there for all to see.
A lot will depend on who and how many we can move on,and how much Moshiri will free up.

Mate, when Martinez tipped up I said his main task was to persuade a generation of Everton fans raised on the muck served up by Smith and Moyes that football was played on the ground and had technique...re-learning the code, in effect, that this club was built upon playing wise.

There are defo a lot of people still knocking about who (even after the calamity of the last two seasons and the embarrassingly outdated rubbish football served up) will be waiting to denounce a manager trying to get us playing football again. Thankfully the club hierarchy will not listen to them again...principally because the price of changing managers is an unbearable burden.

Ground Zero, if you like.

Are Brands and Silva going to Russia to watch any of the games? I've not seen anything about this.
Personal opinion is that a lot of players seem to have blinding World Cups but don't reproduce it in the league when they're signed on the back of it. Ardiles being the only example I can think of who did have a great English career. There must be more (?) but I can't think of any.

Are Brands and Silva going to Russia to watch any of the games? I've not seen anything about this.
Personal opinion is that a lot of players seem to have blinding World Cups but don't reproduce it in the league when they're signed on the back of it. Ardiles being the only example I can think of who did have a great English career. There must be more (?) but I can't think of any.

Unless I'm remembering wrong I think we signed Yobo on the back of WC 2002.

Amokachi too after 1994 - although but for his cup semi goals I'm not sure you could say he had a great English career.

Besic may still come good......lol

Unless I'm remembering wrong I think we signed Yobo on the back of WC 2002.

Amokachi too after 1994 - although but for his cup semi goals I'm not sure you could say he had a great English career.

Besic may still come good......lol
I'd not realised that about Yobo, thank you. I do remember that Everton paid for Moyes to attend some World Cups with a purpose of spotting talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back