Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where we are now.

Clean your glasses Dave we are better than how we were before Moshiri, the squad is way better, at least the stadium looks more presentable, land and plans are afoot for a new stadium (would never have happened with just BK) The management is lot better as well or happen you would have preferred to stay with RK and BFS!

As I said the points you raised were nothing to do with Brands so why raise them in his thread?

Clean your glasses Dave we are better than how we were before Moshiri, the squad is way better, at least the stadium looks more presentable, land and plans are afoot for a new stadium (would never have happened with just BK) The management is lot better as well or happen you would have preferred to stay with RK and BFS!

As I said the points you raised were nothing to do with Brands so why raise them in his thread?
Fantasy.

Substantially there is no difference.

In case some of you DON'T know what Dave's problem is, it's because he doesn't like the D of F position. It's nothing else. Nothing to do with Brands or anyone else.

In case some of you DON'T know what Dave's problem is, it's because he doesn't like the D of F position. It's nothing else. Nothing to do with Brands or anyone else.
That's right.

It's a layer of bureaucracy a club of this size doesn't need.

But taking him on his performance so far, it's unreasonable to suggest he has done anything more than a fairly reasonable job. He certainly doesn't deserve any plaudits, not when he left an under fire manager to enter the second half of the season without a cutting edge striker. He has to make that ground up in the summer and attend to Silva's other requests to strengthen. I'm afraid any excuse that he cant do that because he cant shift players out for a fee wont be acceptable.

That's right.

But taking him on his performance so far, it's unreasonable to suggest he has done anything more than a fairly reasonable job. He certainly doesn't deserve any plaudits, not when he left an under fire manager to enter the second half of the season without a cutting edge striker. He has to make that ground up in the summer and attend to Silva's other requests to strengthen. I'm afraid any excuse that he cant do that because he cant shift players out for a fee wont be acceptable.

What would he have had to have done in the Summer/January for you to applaud him?

That's right.

No he did not, Silva wanted to bring in Richarlison when he joined, that used up the money we had put aside for a striker. Silva has also stated he was happy with the options he had. No doubt we need to bring someone in upfront, i don't think anyone is going to disagree with that but as far as this season goes that is how Silva wanted it. As for the DOF position, we do need someone to do that job due to the mess left by the previous regime, we could bring the best manager in the world in and there is no way anyone could sort all that out and focus on the team at the same time.

Banno is correct on removing the deadwood as you agree, we are stuck with them which is what I have maintained in the past and tried to point this out to DaveK.. I dread to think of all the deadwood out on loan and still on our books. For me with Brans and Silva we have at last a team who for me can plan forward and avoid the rubbish signings by the previous managers back to when Moyes left.

Its all more complicated then that though mate and every case is individual.

Mirallas and McCarthy are out of contract in 2020, so if they go on loan next season they are free agents, via a loan fee and someone else picking up their wages, if that happens their Everton careers are over so they are unlikely to block the squad.

Someone like Schenderlin and Bolaise are different, in short we still owe money to Utd and Palace for thier transfer fees, those fees are generally paid annually over the length of the contract. In very simple terms and not exact figures if we paid 25 mill for Morgan, over a five year contract we pay Utd 5 mill a year in a transfer fee, thats our liability. If he is 2 and half years into a five year deal then our liability is half the transfer fee, so say approx 12.5 mill. Essentially we need to sell him for 12.5 mill to break even. Its similar with Bolaise, Tosun, Walcott etc. Now thats a bit simplistic because sometimes a tipping point comes with wages added. But the concept is generally true. We have many players also called dead wood like that. If we sell for nominal fees we still owe the club we signed them from money, thus we crystallize a loss that comes of our bottom line, we did that with Klassen.

Its actually sometimes handy to keep lads like McCarthy and Mirallas around even Baines and Jags, because they have been here so long we dont have a transfer fee liability on them just wages. However if we were to replace them by going into the market we start the whole process again and take on the transfer fee liability. essentially they fill spaces in the squad either starting or as cover or rotation and we dont need to go into the market and take on liability for a bit, it can save the club money.

Young players are different, they are pure profit as they dont have a book price, its why we gave Pennington a deal, its why Davies, Dowell and the other loan lads are often kept on. You need them as a financial tool in squad building, either in the squad or sending out to generate income.

Its much more complicated then looking at the squad and saying we need to clear the dead wood. these are the types of equations that Brands will be looking at and deciding on with any potential out deals.

Last edited:

Maybe. He has only a year left on the contract. He’s gone for little regardless. Clearly Marco doesn’t rate Schneiderlin or McCarthy as this side has been crying out for a pnother decent defensive mid all season.

Clearly doesn't rate Schneiderlin? I know it's not really the thread for it, but he made a huge thing about keeping ahold of him in the summer and has given him plenty of opportunities, despite a difficult few months for Scheniderlin personally, to prove his worth - including starts only a few games ago.

Clearly? No, not so clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back