Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair though, he doesn't actually say 'I'm leaving and joining Everton' does he?

Seems like a reinterpretation of much older quotes.
I’d agree. It’s a well written article that manipulates the facts but doesn’t actually say anything.

We need it. But one thing Allardyce has actually got spot on, is the squad we have is huge and there’s an awful lot of trimming that needs to be done. We can’t keep adding to it without getting the deadwood out the door also. That’s easier said than done and is even more tricky than recruiting!

We may have to cut our losses on some and accept offers below their true value just to shift them. You’d hope the Likes of Williams for example, might interest a newly promoted side because of his premiership experience. We can only hope!
This gets mentioned a lot - especially by Sam himself. Having just looked at the squad though I think it would be pretty easy to reduce the numbers. For example, there are loads who don't get near the team and they need to be loaned or moved - just make the decision and get on with it.
Tarashaj, Browning, Galloway, Dowell (very least another loan), Garbutt, Pennington, Martina, Besic, Stekelenburg, Mirallas & Mangala. There's 11 there without going near the first 11! Add into the mix Williams, Niasse, Jags etc the trimming should be the least of our worries. We just need some strong leadership to make the decisions. Hopefully Brands can do that.

Do we really want to be signing more players from that Dutch league? What happens if they turn out to be just as crap as Klaassen?

To be fair though, he doesn't actually say 'I'm leaving and joining Everton' does he?

People desperate to believe anything good and not believe anything bad.

Been the GOT way as long as I can remember.

Do we really want to be signing more players from that Dutch league? What happens if they turn out to be just as crap as Klaassen?
I agree .If he just an expert in Dutch footy then what's the point? You wouldn't get Terry Butcher and buy a load of Scots .

Exactly my thoughts. Carefully worded article that makes those quotes of last week sound like they were taken from a goodbye speech.

This gets mentioned a lot - especially by Sam himself. Having just looked at the squad though I think it would be pretty easy to reduce the numbers. For example, there are loads who don't get near the team and they need to be loaned or moved - just make the decision and get on with it.
Tarashaj, Browning, Galloway, Dowell (very least another loan), Garbutt, Pennington, Martina, Besic, Stekelenburg, Mirallas & Mangala. There's 11 there without going near the first 11! Add into the mix Williams, Niasse, Jags etc the trimming should be the least of our worries. We just need some strong leadership to make the decisions. Hopefully Brands can do that.

that's the main point, we have all those players to ship before we even get to the first XI which we need to add 4 or 5 too, which would then mean needing to ship off a few more. When we have mirallas, lookman, sandro, onyekuru and dowell returning from their loans, that means we will have 8 wingers when we use siggurdsson and DCL mostly for one of the wide positions anyway. You see someone like mirallas going to greece and struggling and you realise it is a lot harder than it seems to offload a player because he's not going to want to sink too low regarding a club and there's a lot of suitors who won't be able to pay his wage. You see instances like klassen's loan failing because of image rights and crap like that always affects us.

We do need to ship about 20 players if we're being honest, all in a few months, it's no easy feat, especially if we're having to whore them out just to get someone interested. Williams' performances over the last year are hardly going to have teams interested.

There are risks with any signing. Personally I think Lozano is very very good and would fit in well in the premiership. Ziyech I’d have concerns about - could be too lightweight (see Klaassen).

There are risks with any signing. Personally I think Lozano is very very good and would fit in well in the premiership. Ziyech I’d have concerns about - could be too lightweight (see Klaassen).

There are risks with any signing, but there are good reasons why we tend to give the Scottish League 2 a swerve when scouting and signing new players.

If the first two signings he green lit where Lozano and Ziyech it'd be a great start mate, wanted Ziyech when he was still at Twente - he was the lad who came in to replace Tadic there and exceeded him - when still only about 22.

Kicked on since then as well, both him and Lozano are good on the ball, both hard working and both have pace, get those two in - and I'd actually be surprised if we didn't see Klassen given a genuine shot next season btw, they are the types of players (one the exact player - and Lozano a better player than the one at Ajax he had) that he had around him at Ajax when he played really well.

Lozano just signing with Raiola - if true is a very interesting development also, worth noting that the Raiola links to the club could imo have some serious traction behind them - he has basically through his actions over the years - pissed off some managers and teams, don't think any of City (Pep), Milan (Donnaruma stuff), Madrid or Barca will effectively deal with him these days, probably a fair few other clubs as well that i haven't seen as public a falling out as with those ones.

..had a look at both players earlier, Ste, and both have quality and are at a good age. I suppose the standard of the league is a factor but they can do no more than they are. Ziyech looks a good runner with the ball in central areas which is what we need and lefties just give you something different. Both have decent statistics from what I see.

As you say, the Raiola links are very interesting given the players at his disposal. I suppose he’ll be wanting a step up in standard and salary for his clients as well as a % for himself and I have no problem with us facilitating that if we have an ‘in’ on a productive market.

There are risks with any signing, but there are good reasons why we tend to give the Scottish League 2 a swerve when scouting and signing new players.

Bit of a difference between those 2 leagues to be fair.

I could point out some amazing signings that have come from the Dutch league and others could point out some total flops.

Just like when we signed the Spanish u21 number 9 who ripped up la liga last season I thought we’d struck gold. Didn’t quite work out that way though.

Do we really want to be signing more players from the PL? What happens if they turn out to be just as crap as Cleverly/Bolasie?

Do we really want to be signing more players from La Liga? What happens if they turn out to be just as crap as Sandro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back