2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ideally we signed and sold everybody 3 weeks ago.

But as long as we get them, thats the important thing.

As I said last week, we can overpay for 2 signings tomorrow or we can wait and get 4 in.

Players dont gel in training, they gel on the pitch, only playing matches helps the team, proper matches.

I think players actually gel outside of training and matches just as much as in them

They gel on the long coach rides, the plane trips to foreign countries in pre-season, the undercover sneak outs for a bevvy when the manager isn't looking on a pre-season trip (This still happens, mark my words. It doesn't matter how health conscious the modern player gets, a cheeky quick drink run bonds players better than anything), lunches in the canteen, playing 'puter games together etc

That's how you gel, that's how you get team spirit. The stuff on the pitch/training ground will sort itself out if the players and coaching staff are good enough. How you gel, how you build team spirit, how you create camaraderie between everyone is done in between the training and matches, and that's why pre-season is so important and why you should want as many of the new players in for it as possible

I think it says it all that our season turned around with that break and training excursion. It brought everyone together, because stuff like that is how you do it

I think players actually gel outside of training and matches just as much as in them

They gel on the long coach rides, the plane trips to foreign countries in pre-season, the undercover sneak outs for a bevvy when the manager isn't looking on a pre-season trip (This still happens, mark my words), lunches in the canteen, playing 'puter games together etc

That's how you gel, that's how you get team spirit. The stuff on the pitch/training ground will sort itself out if the players and coaching staff are good enough. How you gel, how you build team spirit, how you create camaraderie between everyone is done in between the training and matches, and that's why pre-season is so important

I think it says it all that our season turned around with that break and training excursion. It brought everyone together, because stuff like that is how you do it

The players join cliques depending on what language they speak Mikey.

They arent strangers, most of them know each other anyway.

How did being best mates work out for Pogba and Lukaku?

Anyway, its pointless, neither of us will change our view and neither of us can make the players sign any quicker, but I suggest you look back on past Everton transfer windows, there is zero evidence to suggest getting the players in early helps in any shape or form.

Ideally we signed and sold everybody 3 weeks ago.

But as long as we get them, thats the important thing.

As I said last week, we can overpay for 2 signings tomorrow or we can wait and get 4 in.

Players dont gel in training, they gel on the pitch, only playing matches helps the team, proper matches.

They gel on the long coach rides, the plane trips to foreign countries in pre-season, the undercover sneak outs for a bevvy when the manager isn't looking on a pre-season trip (This still happens, mark my words. It doesn't matter how health conscious the modern player gets, a cheeky quick drink run bonds players better than anything), lunches in the canteen, playing 'puter games together etc

That's how you gel, that's how you get team spirit. The stuff on the pitch/training ground will sort itself out if the players and coaching staff are good enough. How you gel, how you build team spirit, how you create camaraderie between everyone is done in between the training and matches, and that's why pre-season is so important and why you should want as many of the new players in for it as possible

I suppose, like in any job, you have people you get on with better than others.

It's not a myth. It's accepted that the more you integrate a player into a set up the better they play. Ergo: get players late in and you wont get their best form until later that season.

Koaman is no example at all, because he signed a load of one paced donkeys. THAT was the problem, NOT signing players early.
I think Sandro is an example of how to get it 100% wrong.

No integration from the word go and look what happened.

I don't think there is any argument about the benefits of signing players as early as possible in the window.

But...clubs like us are deal takers rather than deal makers and that inevitably shifts things closer to, or at the deadline.

I'll be very happy provided we can get the additional 3/4 players we need, whenever they arrive, by the time the window shuts.

I think we'd all prefer to avoid arriving at deadline day needing to do lots of deals. It's pure Russian roulette at that point and failure can have profound consequences for the outcome of the season. We executed things impressively last year on that front but it is as much a comment about plans not falling into place as it is about succeeding last minute.

In reality I think they are doing their best and will do their best, outside of the genuine criticisms I have in other areas.

Last edited:
Gelling and teamwork off the pitch are really important and I hope not underrated. THe best teams in recent years have had good relationships and a common team spirit
I hope the cliques don't take over and I hope that they work on integration throughout the year - but yes - the mid-season break was a big factor - obviously - in our upturn in form, and the fact that nobody likes January transfers any more shows that you can't integrate a player that well at that time of year.

Gelling and teamwork off the pitch are really important and I hope not underrated. THe best teams in recent years have had good relationships and a common team spirit
I hope the cliques don't take over and I hope that they work on integration throughout the year - but yes - the mid-season break was a big factor - obviously - in our upturn in form, and the fact that nobody likes January transfers any more shows that you can't integrate a player that well at that time of year.

They can talk on the train down to Palace.

We can only buy when clubs want to sell and sell when clubs want to buy, COPA, u23s and AFCON have been/going on.
I believe the number of transfers will grow now from this low level to the end of the window, with clubs hanging on for the best deals in both directions.

Cull a day keeps the Davek away.

Clubs doing loan deals in the PL is going to become known soon as "doing a Brands".

FFS, can this feller cash in on these players for once?

Another year off the wage bill also means another year off their value.

What a caper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back