Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you need to get back to cloud cuckoo land mate

It's a positive spin I'll grant you that, but the post I quoted from seemed incredible to me. Surely it's not an unreasonable assertion to say, young players may get better? Thats not to say they will be good enough, but to say they are likely to improve doesn't seem a bolt from the blue.

Likewise, whether people like it or not, Calvert Lewin performed very well at the back end of last season against top 6 teams. People might not like him, which is their right, but you can't deny that reality.

`Holgate will likely get better' - on what basis, he was average in the championship.
`Mina dominated in the World Cup' - bizarre statement. He scored a couple of goals from corners.
`Dominic Calvert Lewin will start the season, the lad who dominated some of the leagues leading defences at the back end of the season' - good grief, he has never shown anything to suggest he will ever be a regular top 8 prem striker with decent strike rate.
`We can't sign players who are good enough for the top 6 currently, they won't come' - just utter nonsense. Weve bought Awobi/Richarlison/Kean - we just need a lot more like them.

We got crazy lucky to have a great manager at the time in the 80's and bought excellent players who were all leaders. That = success.
But the culture of the club and supporters helped and allowed that to happen. That led to a culture within that
dressing room similar to United under Ferguson and for so many times at the kopites.
We need that culture back. Accepting responsibility, expecting success.
Just look at Silva in the press conference today. If I was one of his players I would be laughing.
He seems resigned to his fate, talking up players that have left more than the ones here.
<stands up and applauds>

`Holgate will likely get better' - on what basis, he was average in the championship.
`Mina dominated in the World Cup' - bizarre statement. He scored a couple of goals from corners.
`Dominic Calvert Lewin will start the season, the lad who dominated some of the leagues leading defences at the back end of the season' - good grief, he has never shown anything to suggest he will ever be a regular top 8 prem striker with decent strike rate.
`We can't sign players who are good enough for the top 6 currently, they won't come' - just utter nonsense. Weve bought Awobi/Richarlison/Kean - we just need a lot more like them.

We got crazy lucky to have a great manager at the time in the 80's and bought excellent players who were all leaders. That = success.
But the culture of the club and supporters helped and allowed that to happen. That led to a culture within that
dressing room similar to United under Ferguson and for so many times at the kopites.
We need that culture back. Accepting responsibility, expecting success.
Just look at Silva in the press conference today. If I was one of his players I would be laughing.
He seems resigned to his fate, talking up players that have left more than the ones here.

Gosh Dave for me you come out with some guff. How long has Brands been here and where was he before?

Also good points missing out on Rojo and Smalling (HAH) good job on that. Watford were never going to let there player go, missed out on Zouma no chance when Lampard came in and as for Zaha this was all down to CP messing about. Good points = rubbish.
Good work done not signing two poor players we didn't need? Another Brands miracle. Spent all summer waiting for a player who Lampard was never going to sell. More miracles.

Nails it. Sadly.
Yep.

"It’s now pretty obvious that there was no depth to Brands’ thinking when it came to the acquisition of another centre half. He wasn’t playing 3D chess. He wasn’t a Dutch galaxy brained transfer guru. He dropped the ball, and injury, poor chemistry, or poor form, could leave our back line with a big hole in it."

OUCH!

I take the criticism over Zouma with a pinch if salt. Had Chelsea been able to sign a CB themselves then the failure to get Zouma would be massive.

We paid 30 of million for a CB 12 months ago, let's see how he goes with a run if games.

the constant negativity in here you wonder whether people actually enjoy the sport at all

the opposite of that is not "blind optimism" either. False dichotomy.
I think the only person to mention "blind optimism" was me, and at no point did I claim that it was the opposite of constant negativity. I was commenting that there are some people (not all) who are being blindly optimistic, ignoring all evidence of issues and just insisting it will all be fine without offering any reasoning or validation. So yes, it is a false dichotomy, there are people in the middle. Like me.

I didn't say relegation did I. I said it's more likely than top 4. This team is based on potential and unplugged gaps. It will yield the odd good result and stink of inconsistency
Hold up, what potential? I hope you aren't talking about Kean, he's already good. Iwobi is also good and won't be a fringe player. Players can get better, but most of these guys are already good.

So its been a good window. We have a good manager, excellent director of football.

Where do you all think we will finish this season and how many points.

All the betting models, firms, analysts think we will stay the same about 8th about 54 points.

I think we will probably be a bit worse than that,
they have underestimated how precarious our centre position is going to become.

Ha Ha Ha

Positive I saw you posting earlier spouting nobody putting forward any real debate with zero thought process behind it; Yet you come out with this ? What a short memory you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back