Marcelo Bielsa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Torn. The full throttle football could unravel so quickly if started mid season, with players already under pressure. Players and crowd would have a great time, pressing and harrying Arsenal all over the pitch, winning corner after corner. They break up the pitch in the 13th minute in a 7v1 counter attack against Coady, score, heads go down, and we get annihilated.

But the crazy attention to detail in match preparation might show plenty at the club what sacrifices need to be made to compete, which we have clearly forgotten.

If he rocks up to Mosh with a massive dossier showing our strengths and weaknesses, how he would capitalise and negate them respectively, and presentations of how his setup would have worked against Wolves, Southampton etc then sod it, let’s have a go.

If he’s been resting from football since Leeds and turns up not knowing much about the squad and not particularly desperate to join, then massive massive enormous throbbing swerve. Simply not enough time to start from scratch with such a specific and detailed style. I don’t care if he knows anything about the history of the club, or “the type of team Everton fans want.” That’s nonsense if the squad isn’t capable of it. We need the type of team that gets points immediately.

Man Utd - Leeds 5-1
Leeds - Liverpool 0-3
Man City - Leeds 7-0
Leeds - Arsenal 1-4
Everton - Leeds 3-0
Leeds - Man Utd 2-4
Liverpool - Leeds 6-0
Leeds - Spurs 0-4

From his last season only, and what to expect if this "one trick pony" comes anywhere near the club.
All against top class team. The scorelines are just reflective of Bielsa style - Go and attack, regardless of the opposition. We could have gone played 11 behind the ball and lost 2-0 instead, but Bielsa goes out throwing haymakers every game - even if there is a clear weight class issue. Part of the package. 47% win rate with a team consisting of Liam Cooper, Luke Ayling and Adam Forshaw, playing aggressive entertaining football. To put that into perspective, thats better than any manager in Evertons history except Howard Kendall and some guy called D*ck who managed you in the 19th century. Not bad for a one trick pony.

Seems like a very insane appointment. For one thing, if Moshiri tried anything he got away with on other managers on Bielsa, Bielsa would walk immediately. Secondly, one wonders why we didn't do this when we had a six week break for him to implement his style, but that would be too forward-thinking for our board. I have no doubt if we went down he could get us back up if he stayed, and he's one of the greatest minds in football history. But he has very high standards. He refused to take the Leeds job unless they invested heavily in their training facilities and he walked away from Lazio after two days when signings were not made on his deadline.

If he’s been resting from football since Leeds and turns up not knowing much about the squad and not particularly desperate to join, then massive massive enormous throbbing swerve. Simply not enough time to start from scratch with such a specific and detailed style. I don’t care if he knows anything about the history of the club, or “the type of team Everton fans want.” That’s nonsense if the squad isn’t capable of it. We need the type of team that gets points immediately.
When Leeds went to talk to them about the job he knew every formation that every Championship team had played the last two seasons. He's an encyclopedia of football knowledge and could transform us, the timing is just awful.

I think we have to be realistic.

We're 19th
Not got much money to spend
Anarchy at the club
A board not fit for purpose

Not many good managers will want this job.

No one wants to hear it but someone like Biesla whilst not great is probably in the higher bracket of managers that we can probably attract currently.

we don’t we’ve the team for his run run play

don’t know what the answer is i think the squads not good enough

So, his teams get hammered by the top clubs in the country.

I think I'll risk that as opposed to:

Bournemouth 4-1 Everton
Bournemouth 3-0 Everton
Everton 1-2 Wolves
Everton 1-4 Brighton
Everton 1-2 Southampton
West Ham 2-0 Everton

From the last two months only...

Bielsa suffered a massive injury crisis in his final season at Leeds. He has actually achieved things in his career - to the extent that he has a stadium in Rosario named after him. I suspect he'd be a slight upgrade on Frankenstein.

The injury crisis was literally a result of his methods!

Everton fans: We need more stability, we can’t keep changing managers, we need to pick a style of play and stick with it instead of always chopping and changing. We need an identity and a connection with fans.

Also Everton fans: Yes, let’s appoint a 67 year old who’s never stayed at a club more than 3 1/2 years, is notoriously volatile, chooses not to speak English, and is totally different in style to the last bloke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back