Marcelo Bielsa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would have fancied our chances of Bielsa keeping us up if he came in before the WC, which funnily enough is when Frank should have been sacked.

Pretty much this.

My gut feeling is that the board are hedging their bets on us going straight back up so the new stadium is back for the Premier League, and Bielsa is the man to do that, isn’t he?

Leeds fan who's lived in Liverpool for 30 years. This would kill me inside if this happened.

That said, If he fancies it then I hope he makes it a success for his sake. We sacked him out of a kneejerk reaction. Leeds fan love Bielsa - and it goes beyond the football. Having a guy who makes clubs sign contracts which have, in effect, integrity clauses, who see's his real boss as the fans of the club, who doesn't give a hoot about money and trappings of success (at Leeds he lived in a 1 bedroom flat above a sweet shop near Wetherby town centre and had a battered old fiat) is such a breath of fresh air in these days of hypocritical football greed that its hard not to get onboard with the guy.

You may or may not get relegated with him, he's a sh*t or bust type but you would certainly get::

1 - A clear footballing style, no plan B - just do plan A better.
2 - Totally honest and forthright, does what he says - says what he does type. No bullshit at all.
3 - A manager who wouldn't touch the Liverpool job with a barge pole. He wouldn't be interested in all that, he'd fancy the Everton job (if the board relinquish just about all control to him - which would be a clear requirement) - right up his street
4 - A manager who does speak perfectly good English, he just doesn't like speaking to the media and is wary of being misinterpreted if he makes an error in language.
5 - A manager who gets fined every week for refusing to do the contracted 7 interviews after a game. Bielsa caps out at 3 and pays a fine instead.
6 - He makes players do manual work for 3-4 hours a week, to simulate the effort most fans have to go through to earn enough money to buy a ticket to the match.
7 - How you do things are more important than what you do. Winning games is probably about number 6 on his priority list. Sounds weird, but is surprisingly easy to get your head around when you get into it - Leeds fans cheered and supported him madly, even when City where sticking 7 past our kids during the injury crisis that got him sacked. I can confirm we never did that for Neil Warnock....
8 - He would place more importance on how your academy kids where developing on loan at Accrington Stanley than whether or not you got relegated. Winning games, going up or down - to him its all part of the process and the process is the important thing - the outputs are peripheral.

You lot would love him and he'd make you proper proud to be Evertonians. If anyone in world football comes close to your motto, then its him.

Like a cult, but a good one with a kindly old man who just wants everyone to enjoy playing and watching football.

Reading that and you just know he'd be a great fit. Would hopefully get rid of a few bell fans along the way too

Pretty much this.

My gut feeling is that the board are hedging their bets on us going straight back up so the new stadium is back for the Premier League, and Bielsa is the man to do that, isn’t he?

Bielsa would be the man to get the club back up were it to go down. Not sure he's the man for a dogfight at the bottom.

He's pretty much the opposite of a firefighter type like Pulis or Allardyce.

Bielsa would be the man to get the club back up were it to go down. Not sure he's the man for a dogfight at the bottom.

He's pretty much the opposite of a firefighter type like Pulis or Allardyce.

Just don’t see how Dyche gets us out of danger. Feels like the club are waving the flag and giving Bielsa time to look at the players… if that’s the route we’re going down.

Carlos Corboran would be a much safer bet imo and obviously he is somewhat cut from the same cloth as Bielsa. Plus he is younger so could be here for a complete rebuild to bring the club forward and he is hell of a lot cheaper. I can't see him wanting to stay at the Baggies if Everton comes calling. He was Bielsa's number 2 at Leeds and the Baggies Board and owner make Moshiri & Co look like a top-class group of professionals. Also, Corboran has no money to spend

All against top class team. The scorelines are just reflective of Bielsa style - Go and attack, regardless of the opposition. We could have gone played 11 behind the ball and lost 2-0 instead, but Bielsa goes out throwing haymakers every game - even if there is a clear weight class issue. Part of the package. 47% win rate with a team consisting of Liam Cooper, Luke Ayling and Adam Forshaw, playing aggressive entertaining football. To put that into perspective, thats better than any manager in Evertons history except Howard Kendall and some guy called D*ck who managed you in the 19th century. Not bad for a one trick pony.
What you fail to mention, is that the win rate includes 2 seasons in the championship. The number for his tenure in the Premier league is 34%.

I agree that the one trick pony phrase was rather harsh, but then again quote "go and attack, regardless of the oposition" sounds rather one trick if you ask me.

If it is Bielsa this squad is defo not upto his methods and would need quick , forward thinking players.
Danjuma would be a start , maybe getting in the likes of Djed Spence ( on loan ) and a few others.Of which I have no clue.

Bielsa and these players without additions gets relegated.

Sick of the mundane passing side to side while opposition get back in shape , agst West Ham was a prime example.
We won't get that with his style of football there'd be no place for slugs like Davies , McNeil , Maupay even Dom would struggle.

Thelwell best start earning his corn very quickly if Bielsa is the one to come in.

I think (know) Moshiri is deluded if he thinks Bielsa comes here without significant promises, and that he won't just resign if promises aren't fulfilled. He did it to far more attractive jobs than this one, and he likely isn't short of options.

While it would be fun to watch Biesla coach Gordon and watch him blowing chunks after 10 seconds, I don't think he's what we need.
A bit alarming that Mr White reckons he's the favourite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back