Marcelo Bielsa

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I've heard is, this man consumes unhealthy amounts of football.

If there's anybody that's going to come in and have a good understanding of exactly where we're at and what needs to change, it's this guy.

He'll know the learning curve required for his style of play and I trust that he's a smart enough guy to be able to train that into the players in a realistic time-frame.
Given I keep hearing Leeds fans say he isn’t motivated by money and lived in a bin, with his vast experience of trying to implement his methods, you’d hope that if he looked at the squad and said it just can’t be done, he’d be open and tell Moshiri it can’t be done. Being a maniac doesn’t make him stupid.

Given I keep hearing Leeds fans say he isn’t motivated by money and lived in a bin, with his vast experience of trying to implement his methods, you’d hope that if he looked at the squad and said it just can’t be done, he’d be open and tell Moshiri it can’t be done. Being a maniac doesn’t make him stupid.
He'll get a bed at FF and make players pick trash around the stadium again lol

His first job was taking over a team bottom of the German 2nd division and keeping them up. That's a plus as it shows he had an instant impact (6 wins, 2 draws, 3 losses)

2nd job was Schalke who'd finished 10th the previous year - they finished 2nd in his first season. In his 2nd season, dealing with the added exertions of playing in the CL, they were struggling and he got binned after City webbed them 7-0.

Went to Spartak Moscow - took over a team who were in 12th place on a run of 5 consecutive defeats and got them up to 7th. Following season he got them into 2nd place and CL qualification, he then didn't want to renew his contract

Went to Leipzig after Jesse Marsch got sacked - Leipzig were in 11th place. He got them up to 4th place that season, getting to the EL semi finals and winning the German cup. Got sacked this season after only 5 league games (won 1, drew 2, lost 2) but lost one CL game at home against Shakhtar (4-1) which got him the bullet. Maybe they were right, but 6 games into the season that feels a little bit premature to me.

I can't claim to know everyone who's out there, but this fella has instantly improved every team he's walked into, regardless of their status - he's not wedded to one style or system. He speaks fluent English and he's still only 37. Of the available candidates that we've seen mentioned, he seems to have the most relevant CV for what we need right now.

He's the one.

My issues with Gallardo:

1) Only ever managed a top side in Argentina. Does that translate to the situation we're in? Dunno
2) Speaks v poor English - that's never a plus
3) Strangely enough (and I had to Google this to check it out), his name is pronounced "Gashardo" and I cba with the jokes

1: Also Nacional in Uruguay who he won the league with :)

2: Same could be said of several managers who first came over.

3: Its Guy-Ard-o

He's literally made subs and told the sub what to do and in 30secs they score. In the exact place he was gesturing.

Also, hes had to sell players from under him...done very well in the continental competitions and comes with an elite pedigree.

Would be a massive coup.

Athletic, 90mins, Daily Fail...all saying we're speaking/gonna speak and he's very keen on the job.

Id guess thats where Prentice feeds from the trough.

What is so special about Tedesco? And what makes him a good candidate for Everton?

See top post.

Ok, know too little about him. What can be objected to is the chiropractor phenomenon when it comes to children with colic. Teams that have underperformed will usually reverse the trend sooner or later, and it could be argued that Tedesco has been lucky with the timing. Both in Schalke 04 and Leipzig he was fired in his second season. On average, he has 45 games for the teams he has coached. But as I said, I know too little about him.

The thing with Bielsa is that he's a project man - he'll do well if he has a full year or two, but short term is a bit iffy. We're halfway doomed anyway so at any rate we might get some youths to play kamikazeball. You get some variety of formations but not to a tinkering extent and he's very clear about what he wants from his players (and also is one of those managers who actually value fans). Utter tosh about 'no defense' - problem is he needs defenders who can play football as well as be athletes and we have 0 of those, 1 if you count Godfrey and that's at a push. The season before it all went sour and they had about 73 injured players at the same time he had them midtable with the 5th best defense after coming straight up from the Championship.

He's also an absolute lunatic and I honestly love him as a character and think he'd fit well with us and our fan base. We still talk about Stracq because he gave it his all - Bielsa knows fans like that and will aim to have people at least putting the effort in every game.

Tedesco who people like is even more of a 1trick pony and when it doesn't work he gets fired lol Short term - a solid maybe. 3-4-2-1 or, get this, if it fails - 3-4-1-2! Practicality is out of the window and if it doesn't work - boy is it dire. His final games at Schalke were prime Lampardian Everton.

As far as choices go, Bielsa for me because he'll stay with us and has the potential (and mindset) to build a team that gives it 100%.

Trivia: Tedesco means "German" in Italian.
Branthwaite comes back next year, he could potentially step into one of those CB roles - we’ll be in the championship too so it’ll give him a chance to grow into the role (I’m coping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back