Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Watford might be inadvertantly be doing us a massive favor. Hopefully they stubbornly play hardball, costing them compensation they would earn otherwise, and forcing us to sign another manager whos better than Silva.

I just cant get past his track record of relegation and fired after only half a season in just 2 seasons. Why cant we bring in winners, theres plenty out there?

It's a tenuous shout at best, the burden of proof would be with Watford to prove it was our fault and I'd find that is going to be pretty difficult no matter how dodgy it looks. They should be quiet, they bloody sacked him, they could have stuck with him but they chose not too.
this is a team that has had something like 8 managers in 4 years. They can hardly claim the moral high ground with something like this.

I'd love to know how it is actually provable and not merely coincidence that Watfords poor form happened after our approach, even though we had taken our rebuttal and moved on. I'd argue Watfords team was due a bad run, it's not going to stand up in any court of law in the country.

Thought it was odd in Watford’s statement when they sacked him that they were explicitly and solely blaming us for his sacking.

Seems that was very deliberate now. Playing the long game for compensation.

Let’s call their bluff I say.

Thought it was odd in Watford’s statement when they sacked him that they were explicitly and solely blaming us for his sacking.

Seems that was very deliberate now. Playing the long game for compensation.

Let’s call their bluff I say.

100% call their bluff, it just won't stand up as it's impossible to prove either way, they could have been just as bad regardless, I see no way they can prove otherwise.

Why should Silva be first choice now?
Correct me if I am wrong, but at the time of Koeman's dismissal, the choices for replacement were very limited. We could not realistically attract any of the top continental names away from their respective CL playing teams midseason. Hard enough in the off season!
The only heads we could turn at the time were the mid table over-achievers like Silva. Watford were flying high (for them), and they suddenly found themselves with a flavor of the month boss.
Watford got greedy, Silva got distracted, time was passing too fast and we were getting that sinking feeling. Then, out of the dark foreboding mist, like an old barnacle covered ghost ship, came HMS Allardyce. We knew it would be a rough, scurvy riddled ride. The reputation of the pirate crew was known far and wide, but it looked like the only way out. And so our journey continued in the ships stinking brig, with many falling foul to sickness and starvation. Many more were just bored, and became as listless as the thick gravy ocean in which the ship floated.
Now, finally back in the safety of port (Midtablesville), we can rid ourselves of the rat infested wreck and look to boarding one of the many shiny new ships now moored at the dock.
Silva is there, of course, but no longer looking like the over-achieving cabin boy, and more like a drowned rat, having been kicked overboard for acts of mutiny.
So the question remains, do we give the lad a chance (very wet behind the ears, but packing lots of ambition), or do we raid the treasure chest and try and bag us someone with proven ability on the high seas of European footy?

So in short
Emery

We've 2 months before the start of training and less than 3 months before the first game of 2018/19.
If we are aspiring to be a competent and successful club we *should* have a football management organisation (not just a manager but coaching staff) in place this week, who have already assessed the current squad, who have identified targets to sign and have a board which is moving efficiently to get them whilst getting the chaff offloaded.
There's a lot to do, and not a lot of time.
These next couple of weeks will be the acid test of whether we have a significant change for the better in how our club is run or whether we are still rank amateurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back