Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dissagree massively over some of the points there:

1. Playing possession based football and putting emphasis on pressing is NOT a bad thing, and most of the best managers in the world (right now) currently don't play with a plan "B" Infact the whole notion of a plan B is a load of crap. and in terms of how he was criticized for playing a possession based football and pressing football, Man city and liverpool have done alright this season haven't they! playing with that emphasis.

Clubs don't often changed their entire style of play based on certain opposition, well most top clubs don't, They tinker with their Plan A and continue to improve it.

2. the high back line - Again most top clubs with top players play this style of football and defensive unit, because it often cuts out chances before they happen unlike a more deeper formation.

Martinez's problem was at the time he didn't have the players to implement his style of football, which is failing as a manager for not either buying the right players, or not adapting his "Plan A" to suit the players he had.

If Martinez had the money fat head was given, I'm 100% he would have succeeded, simply because his tactics, training methods etc are the same as other coaches that have won a crap load of trophies.

Also, Martinez placed absolutely no emphasis at all on pressing. When we didn't have the ball we just dropped off.

I would suggest that “just another” Roberto Martinez is exactly what we need.

Just one who is capable of keeping the back door shut while the offensive players are swarming all over the opposition defence.

If Silva can be that man then we are in business again.

The mistake we made in 2016 was we chucked the baby out with the bath water and ended up with dinosaurs like Koeman and Allardyce.

I’m sure he will win a lot of support if he
1. Plays Lookman week in week out
2. Never let Martina and Williams get close to first team ever again.
3. Drop Bolasie, Schneiderlin, Rooney
4. Play high tempo high pressing and pacy counter attack.

I’m sure any half decent manager can improve this team better than fat sam. The final judgement will be how close can Silva push our team towards TOP 4.

And finally, don’t ever expect any loyalty from Silva.

I tried watching that Marco Silva Tifo Tactics thing on YouTube, essentially it was a 4-5-1 built around Snivelley, so I had to turn it off
Around about this time of the proceedings before a new manager is installed @MoutsGoat has provided a tactical analysis of the manager in question. TBF to him he does a decent job. I'm hopeless at that stuff. I would like to read/see stuff about the new leader.

I'm a bit confused from what I've read so far - given that he conceded so many goals whilst in England it sort of snags with the analysis I read that he focuses on keeping a tight defensive unit. I know his teams get done on the break a lot and that might be the difference he's found since coming to the PL. Hopefully we get the manager who has learned his lesson and tweaks his game plan accordingly. Really looking forward to see how he goes about getting the CM pairing sorted. He looks for a dynamic pairing with at least one a box to box player.

It'll be fascinating to se how it unfolds and who avoids the cull in this squad.

All Evertonions that I know feel really good at the moment, but we all think that Silva will kill this good feeling. Let the new
director of football choose someone, because on this site we can't agree, the Chairmen chose Koeman last year.
If all goes wrong by October, we sack the new manager and the new D.O.F. and get the Sams back!

I think Brands has picked Silva, we wanted Fonseca back in October but didn't even interview him while he was over here, don't forget Brands has known for a few months that he's coming here and I'm sure we would of asked him which manager of those available do you think will fit your style, it's pointless having a great DOF in place then bringing in a big ego manager who will clash

I would suggest that “just another” Roberto Martinez is exactly what we need.

Just one who is capable of keeping the back door shut while the offensive players are swarming all over the opposition defence.

If Silva can be that man then we are in business again.

The mistake we made in 2016 was we chucked the baby out with the bath water and ended up with dinosaurs like Koeman and Allardyce.
Exactly.

"Just" another Martinez. The utter stupidity of that statement. "Just" someone who goes out to win games against all teams in the PL; "just" a manager who racked up 72 points, 21 wins out 38 games and had us fifth; "just" a manager who can get us in the latter stages of cup competitions.

Unreal the level of delusion that goes on.

Also, Martinez placed absolutely no emphasis at all on pressing. When we didn't have the ball we just dropped off.
Exactly. Martinez equated laziness with quality, which was his fatal flaw. That's why his Everton team looked like they didn't train He was more Wenger than Cruyff/Guardiola, and Wenger's approach has long been outmoded.

Football has reached a point where the players are so rich and powerful that every managerial appointment now represents something of a risk. Silva has shown flashes of real talent, and so I'm optimistic that this could be a good fit for him. Having a director of football with a decent track record of buying players to suit a specific style is also massively encouraging.

I’m sure he will win a lot of support if he

And finally, don’t ever expect any loyalty from Silva.

Football and loyalty are at complete odds with each other, so its daft to expect that from anyone. And as long as they don't demand it with clichéd lines when it goes wrong, give me time to implement my ideas etc...it will be just fine.

Exactly. Martinez equated laziness with quality, which was his fatal flaw. That's why his Everton team looked like they didn't train.

Football has reached a point where the players are so rich and powerful that every managerial appointment now represents something of a risk. Silva has shown flashes of real talent, and so I'm optimistic that this could be a good fit for him. Having a director of football with a decent track record of buying players to suit a specific style is also massively encouraging.
"Looked like they didn't" being the key words.

Koeman's first season (the one he "solved" our lax fitness regime) it was shown our team ran less in games than under Martinez.

An utter fallacy repeated ad nauseam.

He is obviously desperate to come to us. He wanted to leave Watford mid season and he must have been offered many other jobs since, but he's waited for us. Can't understand why some people are being so negative. Silva's points tally at Hull would have equated to about 47/48 points over a full season which would have been a mid table finish. Incredible, considering the squad that he inherited. Keep the faith.

Football and loyalty are at complete odds with each other, so its daft to expect that from anyone. And as long as they don't demand it with clichéd lines when it goes wrong, give me time to implement my ideas etc...it will be just fine.

It’s fine for him to be flattered when a bigger team had interest, but when it reaches a point of massively affecting his concentration on his current job, thats crosses the red line.

Dissagree massively over some of the points there:

1. Playing possession based football and putting emphasis on pressing is NOT a bad thing, and most of the best managers in the world (right now) currently don't play with a plan "B" Infact the whole notion of a plan B is a load of crap. and in terms of how he was criticized for playing a possession based football and pressing football, Man city and liverpool have done alright this season haven't they! playing with that emphasis.

Clubs don't often changed their entire style of play based on certain opposition, well most top clubs don't, They tinker with their Plan A and continue to improve it.

2. the high back line - Again most top clubs with top players play this style of football and defensive unit, because it often cuts out chances before they happen unlike a more deeper formation.

Martinez's problem was at the time he didn't have the players to implement his style of football, which is failing as a manager for not either buying the right players, or not adapting his "Plan A" to suit the players he had.

If Martinez had the money fat head was given, I'm 100% he would have succeeded, simply because his tactics, training methods etc are the same as other coaches that have won a crap load of trophies.

I somewhat agree with you here - if you're a club with ambition, you look to impose your plan rather than adapt to others. That's fine.

However, the problem with Martinez was the complete reluctance to accept that Plan A wasn't working.

The top clubs and managers have a degree of pragmatism; they'll change when change is needed. Not their whole philosophy, but they'll change what is needed to make that philosophy work. Martinez didn't; he plowed on doing the exact same thing over and over again.

With Silva, I find the "another Martinez" comments borderline racist personally - the only comparison I can see is that they're both Hispanic and enjoy possession based attacking football. If Eddie Howe was coming, the "another Martinez" comments probably wouldn't be made, despite him being even more comparable to Martinez than Silva is.

I have no problem with Silva coming in at all, and for him to be given time, as we don't know whether he will be a success or not, whereas we knew exactly what we were getting with Allardyce. I'm bored of Everton - I want to see some attempt at ambition, having a plan whilst also taking chances; sacking Allardyce and bringing in Silva is the start of that for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back