Martinez Mayhem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would be a crazy decision to be honest. He has been managing for a year, done well at Derby no doubt but all it takes yet again is a couple of bad results and our saviour is turned into our judas.

Or he does well and then Manchester United need a new manager next season...

I mean I get it, but it would be incredibly risky again. I want a manager who has not treated us like crap in the past.
Who? I’m not keen on any of Potter,Santo,Kovac or Martinez. Lampard wouldn’t be a good fit. If I went for experience I’d go for the Denmark manager mainly because players and managers from that part of the world, do seem to be very dedicated. Not say that others aren’t but they do things it with a sort of calmness and are usually very good tacticians.

He wasn’t really given a chance to IMO. He had a bad start to the season at Southampton as well in his second season and turned it around.
Not that it matters and just my opinion.
Koeman was and looked a broken man at the end, there was no coming back from that, he even needed Niasse to try and save him, his ending seemed worse of the lot. Though Benitez I think has topped that now.

If not then give it to Big Dunc. Martinez is an accident waiting to happen he can’t setup a defence.
Martinez would be an utterly ridiculous appointment and I like the bloke! If we appoint him then we may as well lash the new stadium in the sea and all give up. The club will have learnt nothing (yet again).

I would like to think we have more options that just Martinez or Ferguson though. If not, then we should have and questions need to be asked.

We had a concede less goals problem under Moyes.

In the two seasons before Martinez we conceded 40 goals each season. Martinez first season 39. The next one was 50, the one after 55. Koeman came in and initially at least got them defending again, 44 and back up the table.

I didn't actually say all was well under Moyes and I'm no fan of his but it would take a special kind of fool to not acknowledge that first time around Martinez had a decent platform to build on. Whomever comes in now will not. This is not all down to Benitez but we are in a worse position than when he took over.
What's that got to do specifically with problems from set pieces?

We've had that problem for ages.

Martinez would be an utterly ridiculous appointment and I like the bloke! If we appoint him then we may as well lash the new stadium in the sea and all give up. The club will have learnt nothing (yet again).

I would like to think we have more options that just Martinez or Ferguson though. If not, then we should have and questions need to be asked.
Fair enough. As fans we all want the best for Everton. Must get this appointment right this time we can’t afford to go down.

Who? I’m not keen on any of Potter,Santo,Kovac or Martinez. Lampard wouldn’t be a good fit. If I went for experience I’d go for the Denmark manager mainly because players and managers from that part of the world, do seem to be very dedicated. Not say that others aren’t but they do things it with a sort of calmness and are usually very good tacticians.
What is wrong with Kovac? He did a brilliant job at Frankfurt, a club with a lot of parallels with us. Potter is also a really good manager who took a Swedish pub team from the 4th division into Europe. I just wouldn't bring him in until the summer if we had a chance of him.

I wouldn't entertain the others. The Danish bloke has had one decent high profile job at Mainz and absolutely tanked. He would be a risky one.

My choice would be Rudi Garcia, has been my choice for about 10 years now! I would also be tempted by Marcelo Gallardo but he would be far too exotic for our board. Favre is available too. There are options if we look further than just former players and managers.

Koeman was and looked a broken man at the end, there was no coming back from that, he even needed Niasse to try and save him, his ending seemed worse of the lot. Though Benitez I think has topped that now.
I don't think it helped that he looked like he had been sleeping under a bridge in his last couple of weeks here. Seeing Koeman unshaved was really jarring as he always keeps himself quite neat and tidy!

This is it. This is the season that all the years of horrendous mismanagement comes home to roost. You can't keep getting away with unbelievably bad appointments like this an expect it to go any other way in the end. Martinez ffs?! The man who couldn't work with a defensive set up that had prime Baines and Jags in there, is being pared with the likes of Keane?! This is a match made in hell, we'll be losing games 10-3 most weeks!

This is it. This is the season that all the years of horrendous mismanagement comes home to roost. You can't keep getting away with unbelievably bad appointments like this an expect it to go any other way in the end. Martinez ffs?! The man who couldn't work with a defensive set up that had prime Baines and Jags in there, is being pared with the likes of Keane?! This is a match made in hell, we'll be losing games 10-3 most weeks!
Mate I’ll say 6-3 and we will have to [enjoy] the crap he spouts out in the interviews.

What's that got to do specifically with problems from set pieces?

We've had that problem for ages.
Do only goals conceded from set pieces count? We've had it for ages, what about last season?

The next manager will inherit a team that has conceded more than it has scored.

So far this season....

20 conceded from open play
8 from set pieces
3 counter attack
2 OG
1 penalty

Yep set pieces account for less than quarter of our goals conceded in the league this season. It needs to be addressed and you'd think it would be an easy win for anybody coming in that could coach a defence e.g. ditch zonal marking and get people on the post.

Sadly there is much more to do than just worry about set pieces.

I don't see this as an appointment that needs to be rushed.
Duncan Ferguson is already at the club and wants to be considered for the job.
Appoint Duncan on an interim basis and see how he gets on.
It will act as a job interview for him and allow the board to sit back and consider who they want as their next manager.
None of us know if Duncan Ferguson has the potential to be a good manager as we have only seen him in charge for a small handful of game. However, he has worked under several managers and does know the players very well so there is no settling in period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back