Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the way 72 points is turned into a negative.

More historical examples of this phenomena:

That Churchill divvy led the country to victory in a world war but lost the election that followed...'kin fraud!

That David Bowie, ok he left a massive collection of great songs - but The Laughing Gnome?! WTF....the 'kin fraud!!!

I can't defend the indefensible but I defend your right to try.

I love the way 72 points is turned into a negative.

More historical examples of this phenomena:

That Churchill divvy led the country to victory in a world war but lost the election that followed...'kin fraud!

That David Bowie, ok he left a massive collection of great songs - but The Laughing Gnome?! WTF....the 'kin fraud!!!

This example would work if Martinez had a back catalogue of excellent seasons with one awful one amongst them. Unlucky David x

The Bard said it best.

Marc Antony, at Ceasar's funeral.

"The evil that men do lives after them.....the good is oft interred with their bones"

And so it goes that the Cavalier spirit and unbridled optimism of 2013/14 is expunged from out history.

The great European run the following season never happened.

The fantastic, flowing football in the first half of last season is completely overlooked and only the dark says that were the last few months remain.

Bobby is not to be given any credit for signing Lukaku, Barry, Holgate, Jimmy Mac, Galloway or the rapidly coming into vogue Joel.

Oh no.....he only signed McGeady, Cleverly, Kone and Omar.

He never gave John Stones his break and netted us a profit of around £45 million.....or made Ross a permanent fixture in his starting XI.

No, sir.

It was three years of unremitting doom and gloom :mad:

The revisionists tell us this.....so it must be true.

Because Brutus is an honourable man :p
Bullseye.

Their bitterness is killing them. And it leads to all kinds of mistakes: like standing by this season whilst trash was served up with a side order or muck, and they had to hold their noses and say it tasted great...because not to would be to admit that his replacement was hopelessly outdated as a footy manager and a mistake had been made....which led into them turning 180 degrees on their previous shibboleth that 'this is the best squad since the 80's being squandered by Martinez lad...' by slating the squad as hopeless and that they were the reason for the muck...until we found some recent run of results...then they were fit for purpose again.

They're not to be taken seriously.

Meanwhile Martinez takes one of the best international teams there is to the World Cup and the battery acid continues to eat away at his critics.

Life's not fair.

I can't defend the indefensible but I defend your right to try.
I know. How on earth can anyone defend a manager who got was here less than three seasons, got us a record PL season and two cup semi finals and had us playing our best football since HK went to Spain to manage 30 years ago?

It's forlorn. Obviously.

The And so it goes that the Cavalier spirit and unbridled optimism of 2013/14 is expunged from out history.
How could the 2013-14 season ever be expunged from our history? Its all people ever talk about when they try to defend Martinez?! Nobody has ever denied it was a good season but it's been so horribly overrated that it's become embarrassing for a lot of us who just see the bottom line that we only finished fifth and won noting. Was Martinez's opemisem and positively refreshing after Moyes? Yes at first but it got old very quickly once it became clear that it was his defence mechanism to avoid reality.
The The great European run the following season never happened.
You mean the run were we crashed out in the last 16 with an embarrassing defeat against Dynamo Kiev? You'll have to forgive me if I don't consider reaching the 16 of any competition the end of the rainbow! We did that under Moyes to and it was just as much as a non-achievement then as it was under Martinez but at least we weren't embarrassed when we crashed out that time.
The fantastic, flowing football in the first half of last season is completely overlooked and only the dark says that were the last few months remain.
People simply look at the bottom line of last season and see the fact that we won only five pathetic home games in the league all season under Martinez and the same amount on the road. Free flowing football is useless and forgettable if we're loosing almost every week, nobody cares about the style of play if it means us losing. Yes it would be nice to win while playing well but I'll take bad football and a win over good football and defeat any day as would any sane person. Our style epitomizes everything that was wrong with Martinez all style no substance and delivers nothing. The whole of that season and the one before we're awful with only a few bright spots in them.
Bobby is not to be given any credit for signing Lukaku, Barry, Holgate, Jimmy Mac, Galloway or the rapidly coming into vogue Joel.

Oh no.....he only signed McGeady, Cleverly, Kone and Omar.

He never gave John Stones his break and netted us a profit of around £45 million.....or made Ross a permanent fixture in his starting XI.
We all know Martinez made some good signings here. It's just that his bad one are laughably bad that it's impossible to ignore. Lukaku and Barry were both class signings. McCarthy I wouldn't put anywhere near their bracket. Holgate and Galloway? Time will only tell but I'm afraid that when your team is only delivering 12 home league wins over two seasons you don't deserve anymore time. Joel, I'm still far from convinced and I still feel we need a new number one this summer. His bad signings were just bad they were horrendously bad, all manager's but some duds but to buy that many over a three year period with six transfer windows is a joke.

Stones went back rapidly as a player under the guidance of Martinez, if it wasn't for the media overhyping English players as normal people would see a defender who doesn't actually defend all that well. We robbed Man City who once again proved they have more money then sense. Barkley is another player who went backwards under Martinez and has been overhyped, hopefully under the guidance of Koeman he'll become the player we all want him to be.
No, sir.

It was three years of unremitting doom and gloom :mad:

The revisionists tell us this.....so it must be true.
I wouldn't say it was three year of doom and gloom, more like one year of overhype during a fluke that has been horribly overrated by revisionists who would have us believe we won the lottery finishing fifth and winning nothing. The following two seasons were drudgery with only the odd bright moments to lift the mood. The true revisionists are the Martinez loyalists who are still heartbroken that their beloved was finally shown the door.

Last edited:
How could the 2013-14 season ever be expunged from our history? Its all people ever talk about when they try to defend Martinez?! Nobody has ever denied it was a good season but it's been so horribly overrated that it's become embarrassing for a lot of us who just see the bottom line that we only finished fifth and won noting. Was Martinez's opemisem and positively refreshing after Moyes? Yes at first but it got old very quickly once it became clear that it was his defence mechanism to avoid reality.

You mean the run were we crashed out in the last 16 with an embarrassing defeat against Dynamo Kiev? You'll have to forgive me if I don't consider reaching the 16 of any competition the end of the rainbow! We did that under Moyes to and it was just as much as a non-achievement then as it was under Martinez but at least we weren't embarrassed when we crashed out that time.

People simply look at the bottom line of last season and see the fact that we won only five pathetic home games in the league all season under Martinez and the same amount on the road. Free flowing football is useless and forgettable if we're loosing almost every week, nobody cares about the style of play if it means us losing. Yes it would be nice to win while playing well but I'll take bad football and a win over good football and defeat any day as would any sane person. Our style epitomizes everything that was wrong with Martinez all style no substance and delivers nothing. The whole of that season and the one before we're awful with only a few bright spots in them.

We all know Martinez made some good signings here. It's just that his bad one are laughably bad that it's impossible to ignore. Lukaku and Barry were both class signings. McCarthy I wouldn't put anywhere near their bracket. Holgate and Galloway? Time will only tell but I'm afraid that when your team is only delivering 12 home league wins over two seasons you don't deserve anymore time. Joel, I'm still far from convinced and I still feel we need a new number one this summer. His bad signings were just bad they were horrendously bad, all manager's but some duds but to buy that many over a three year period with six transfer windows is a joke.

Stones went back rapidly as a player under the guidance of Martinez, if it wasn't for the media overhyping English players as normal people would see a defender who doesn't actually defend all that well. We robbed Man City who once again proved they have more money then sense. Barkley is another player who went backwards under Martinez and has been overhyped, hopefully under the guidance of Koeman he'll become the player we all want him to be.

I wouldn't say it was three year of doom and gloom, more like one year of overhype during a fluke that has been horribly overrated by revisionists who would have us believe we won the lottery finishing fifth and winning nothing. The following two seasons were drudgery with only the odd bright moments to lift the mood. The true revisionists are the Martinez loyalists who are still heartbroken that their beloved was finally shown the door.

You are trying too hard.

The Martinez era wasn't as bad as you chaps would have us believe.

Thankfully there are those among us who see through the revisionism and won't be bullied into toeing your line.

Sorry :p

You are trying too hard.

Thankfully there are those among us who see through the revisionism and won't be bullied into toeing your line.

Stop trying to be dave mate, you are better than this.

We had one very good season, 2 appalling season and he left us in a shocking and backwards condition than when he took us over. Hence now the new manager having to weed the squad of players such as Niasse, McGeady, Kone etc.....we don't need to state the obvious to you.

I'm all for a bit of banter, but being the forum WUM's sidekick and partner in drudgery is not something a grown man should be aspiring to.

You are trying too hard.

I really didn't try a that hard to write that mate. It's just genuinely how I feel about Martinez, I hate him more then any Everton manager we've had in my lifetime. It was an awful period in the club's history, it was a return to the Walter Smith days (Smith never had money to spend like Martinez though). Most of us could see the slow decay of the club that long term would of seen us relegated had it not of been stopped when it was.

You can believe whatever you want mate. Your perfectly entitled to do so and I have no desire or interest 'bullying you' and I suspect you know as much.

As I said before the revisionists in all this are the Martinez loyalists and as long as they continue to try and make Martinez time here seems better then it was me and others will continue to say why it was awful.

Fair play for still defending him though mate, you and Dave are like soldiers hiding in a foxhole months after the war ended and the cause lost. ;)

I really didn't try a that hard to write that mate. It's just genuinely how I feel about Martinez, I hate him more then any Everton manager we've had in my lifetime. It was an awful period in the club's history, it was a return to the Walter Smith days (Smith never had money to spend like Martinez though). Most of us could see the slow decay of the club that long term would of seen us relegated had it not of been stopped when it was.

You can believe whatever you want mate. Your perfectly entitled to do so and I have no desire or interest 'bullying you' and I suspect you know as much.

As I said before the revisionists in all this are the Martinez loyalists and as long as they continue to try and make Martinez time here seems better then it was me and others will continue to say why it was awful.

Fair play for still defending him though mate, you and Dave are like soldiers hiding in a foxhole months after the war ended and the cause lost. ;)

IMG_4229.webp
IMG_4228.webp

You are trying too hard.

Come on mate, Roberto took us from 5th to 13th, that isn't revisionism, it's undeniable fact. That trend continues and we get relegated, it's as simple as that. Luckily our beautiful Iranian prince came along.

I know. How on earth can anyone defend a manager who got was here less than three seasons, got us a record PL season and two cup semi finals and had us playing our best football since HK went to Spain to manage 30 years ago?

It's forlorn. Obviously.

Record points haul in a PL season is something to be proud of, two cup semi's less so. But surely, if you wish to defend someone, you have to defend their complete record. You shouldn't choose to ignore that he dabbled in a couple more records.
Harping back to the record points haul while not mentioning the two following seasons is a bit like saying "Mrs Caolam is a wonderful driver, she drove out of the drive excellently, just before she hit that pedestrian".
She didn't hit a pedestrian by the way. Don't call the police.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back