Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't really agree with that mate. First half of last season are attacking play was as good as we've seen in a long time. Nothing boring about it. It was the defence that was letting us down.

We'll have to disagree mate. Every match I watched in Martinez's last season, I thought we looked doomed from the outset due to his stubbornness with regards to his tactical set-up. Every team set up to play against us in the same high-pressing/counter-attacking manner, and it stifled us. Made the games real chores to watch.

It was a way of playing football that we haven't seen at the club since the glory days: on the ball, controlling the tempo of games and constructing passing moves. That was a major shift in emphasis from the crude direct football we'd seen in the decade or so before it...the muck you no doubt prefer.

See above, you may have watched Martinez's last season through the rose tinted spectacles of his first, but I thought we looked in awful shape for most of it.

However, don't let that stop you branding me "bitterati" though (that's a poor one Davek, even for you).

You're living in a world of caricatures mate.

We played probably some of our best stuff under Martinez in the first half of last season when we had very good form. And the second season up until the away game at Spurs was very acceptable form given we were also juggling the EL campaign.

It was a way of playing football that we haven't seen at the club since the glory days: on the ball, controlling the tempo of games and constructing passing moves. That was a major shift in emphasis from the crude direct football we'd seen in the decade or so before it...the muck you no doubt prefer.

We were 13th on 44 points when Martinez was fired.He had us in 13th in a season when Man United Man City Arsenal and Chelsea weren't at the races.At the end of the day it's a results based business and Martinez just wasn't getting them.

Martinez left us with utter garbage.

We're 11th in the league, with a squad of players who most teams would kill for. It takes a special kind of bad manager to get a squad like this in the bottom half.

Besic and Mori are good signings

McCarthy and Besic will tear the league up

Keep: Besic, Deulofeu, Barkley, Stones & Lukaku

We have some really good, young players that we could build a future team around:

Coleman, Stones, Besic, McCarthy, Barkley, Lukaku

Holgate and Galloway should be starting for us

Really starting to like Robles as our No.1.

without Lukaku we would be in a relegation battle

We were 13th on 44 points when Martinez was fired.He had us in 13th in a season when Man United Man City Arsenal and Chelsea weren't at the races.At the end of the day it's a results based business and Martinez just wasn't getting them.

Fortunately there is no tyrant in this matter otherwise he is going to rewrite the history book. How on earth there is valid point to argue in connection with the crappy tactics and the inability to setup a defence. 21 league wins in 75 games in 2 seasons combined. This is madness someone actually came out and is arguing that this is controlling pocession football. Ridiculous.

We'll have to disagree mate. Every match I watched in Martinez's last season, I thought we looked doomed from the outset due to his stubbornness with regards to his tactical set-up. Every team set up to play against us in the same high-pressing/counter-attacking manner, and it stifled us. Made the games real chores to watch.
I understand this but from a defensive viewpoint. We must have been watching different matches mate as far as the boring part goes.

As I say, I'm talking of the first half of the season

I understand this but from a defensive viewpoint. We must have been watching different matches mate as far as the boring part goes.

As I say, I'm talking of the first half of the season

Winning games is the problem. A season is not counted through 19 games but 38. Two seasons in a row filled with ultmost naive tactics and defensive displays. This is non defensible.

Winning games is the problem. A season is not counted through 19 games but 38. Two seasons in a row filled with ultmost naive tactics and defensive displays. This is non defensible.
I wasn't defending the tactics, the results or the defensive displays. I was simply answering a post that claimed our last 2 seasons were full of totally boring football. I refuted this because I remember the first half of last season and a great deal of matches where myself, most of the posters on here and the national and local media were creaming themselves over our attacking displays.

In the end the last 2 seasons were bad enough for us all to be glad there behind us without making them out to be even worse than they were

Ha ha ha ha.

@GwladysBlue

No coming back from that.
Really?

Opinions change throughout seasons. Naturally.

My point that Koeman won't keep the names I highlighted stands, and his is the only opinion that matters.

Look at where Cleverly, Niassé ended up and who McCarthy and Koné were linked.

Martinez deserves no credit at all for Lukaku, everyone knew how good he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back