Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember the way he used to stand on the edge of the technical area arms folded for the full 90 minutes to try and look like he was studiously examining the game? When in reality this was happening inside his head

giphy.gif

He was standing and thinking "God, i never did the dishes, my missus is gonna leather me everywhere"

The ripe plum

I don't hate Martinez

I don't rate him that much as a manager either though

Good cup manager, little more really

I think history backs that up

Had a couple of good cup runs with Wigan and Everton, including winning it once, but outside of one season in 13/14, every Premier League campaign he took part in was utter rubbish, including relegating Wigan and almost relegating Everton at one point

But yeah, I have no real hatred for him, I just found him severely wanting as a manager and felt his Everton side of the past two seasons were utter pants outside of a handful of good performances

It was getting painful going to Goodison near the end, so crap were his tactics and team selections

Not a far comparison though is it Dave?

You've put together 3 seasons of work against less than one whole season

Martinez crashed us out of the cups at the first time of asking in his second season and almost got us relegated, how come that didn't make it into your sample?

About as fair as dismissing a points record breaking manager who has a very decent CV as 'a fraud', perhaps. :coffee:

Dave wanted us all to follow Martinez, down to The Championship

What Dave has never been prepared to admit to himself is that his man-crush, and the man who really "Got Everton", would have left us the second he relegated us. If you had gone to Martinez and offered him the FA Cup but for us also to have gone down, he would have bitten your arm off and then left us high and dry whilst he took a new job, just like he did at Wigan

He was a managerial locust

His method of playing was in the School of Science tradition. We all knew that and all were on board with it - in fact, I think some songs and banners celebrated that re-embracement with the club's traditions.

Then it all went pear shaped and we were stuck at a point of mediocrity again and he had to go.

But bitter people who were all of the 'Bobby's opened the school of science' opinion felt themselves let down and embarrassed by their earlier identification with the Martinez method and haven't stopped using abuse about him to cover their tracks since he was ousted.

I think that covers it.

About as fair as dismissing a points record breaking manager who has a very decent CV as 'a fraud', perhaps. :coffee:

Yeah, I wouldn't call him a fraud

I'm fine with calling him a locust though

He enters a club/team, drains it and then moves on leaving it weaker, all the while saying he did a great job and pointing to the one or two good things he did whilst there

Maybe Swansea is the only exception, and even that's debatable

Remember the way he used to stand on the edge of the technical area arms folded for the full 90 minutes to try and look like he was studiously examining the game? When in reality this was happening inside his head

giphy.gif
i also remember every time there was a set piece he would be straight back to his seat whilst graeme jones would make his touchline appearance, waving his arms around frantically to try and make it look like he knew what he was doing.

what a pair.

Yeah, I wouldn't call him a fraud

I'm fine with calling him a locust though

He enters a club/team, drains it and then moves on leaving it weaker, all the while saying he did a great job and pointing to the one or two good things he did whilst there

Maybe Swansea is the only exception, and even that's debatable

Resurrected a whole football organisation from the doldrums and facing oblivion and practically single-handedly places them in the PL by laying down a method of playing that stuck for years after he left. Yes, I think you could say that was value added.

Oh, and handing the Dog & Duck their one and only major football trophy in their history by beating Everton and the all-conquering billion quid assembled Man City along the way. That's maybe another in the plus column, eh?

And giving us our best season of football and results since we won the title last 30 years ago. Yep, I'd just about squeeze that in the 'good things' department too.

Admittedly, its not getting us to 7th place and ending our season by the first week in January class.

I don't hate Martinez

I don't rate him that much as a manager either though

Good cup manager, little more really

I think history backs that up

Had a couple of good cup runs with Wigan and Everton, including winning it once, but outside of one season in 13/14, every Premier League campaign he took part in was utter rubbish, including relegating Wigan and almost relegating Everton at one point

But yeah, I have no real hatred for him, I just found him severely wanting as a manager and felt his Everton side of the past two seasons were utter pants outside of a handful of good performances

It was getting painful going to Goodison near the end, so crap were his tactics and team selections

Having one of the worst records of any manager to grace the Premier League over 7 years says it all as well.

Resurrected a whole football organisation from the doldrums and facing oblivion and practically single-handedly places them in the PL by laying down a method of playing that stuck for years after he left. Yes, I think you could say that was value added.

Oh, and handing the Dog & Duck their one and only major football trophy in their history by beating Everton and the all-conquering billion quid assembled Man City along the way. That's maybe another in the plus column, eh?

And giving us our best season of football and results since we won the title last 30 years ago. Yep, I'd just about squeeze that in the 'good things' department too.

Admittedly, its not getting us to 7th place and ending our season by the first week in January class.

They were a stable Premier League team went he went in there and they haven't been back since he relegated them

The fact he chickened out of trying to get them back up says everything

He had what he wanted and he moved on, leaving barren ground behind him, just like the locust he is

As a matter of courtesy he should have stuck around and tried to get them promoted again

More proof that had he taken us down, he wouldn't have been able to get out of the door quick enough

They were a stable Premier League team went he went in there and they haven't been back since he relegated them

The fact he chickened out of trying to get them back up says everything

As a matter of courtesy he should have stuck around and tried to get them promoted again

More proof that had he taken us down, he wouldn't have been able to get out of the door quick enough
"Stable"?

Lol. I'd hate to see your idea of an unstable club if you though the trap door dancing Wigan were stable.

Whelan was sitting them on a tree branch and asking his managers to saw through it whilst remaining up the tree. It was always going to happen sooner rather than later.

They got their cup of a lifetime before they fell from grace...and, after all, it is only Wigan, so no harm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back