Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if we bottled it so much as teams figured we could only play one way (or Martinez would only let us play one way) and came up with an effective plan to stop us. They definitely had us figured out by the start of the following season.

This 100%

Martinez's Plan B of doing "Plan A Better" was nullified once the rest of the League had been given a chance to adapt, and at that point his goose was cooked, just as it will if he ever comes back to the Premier League

In a lot of ways we did the right thing morally in giving him that third season, but we were equally justified in canning him once the third season showed which of the first two seasons was the aberration

We got a EL spot, which is the apparent stated objective of this season by the current manager.
Well we also got a CL qualifying spot from 4th which sadly only led to a EL spot, so your previous claim of getting nothing from 4th is incorrect.

If we got 'nothing' from 4th, then we got nothing from 5th as the outcome was the same - elimination from EL.

You can't say Europe from 5th is better than Europe from 4th. That's bizarre, especially seeing as 4th enabled a shot at CL, something which 5th does not. At worst it's equal.

Well we also got a CL qualifying spot from 4th which sadly only led to a EL spot, so your previous claim of getting nothing from 4th is incorrect.

If we got 'nothing' from 4th, then we got nothing from 5th as the outcome was the same - elimination from EL.

You can't say Europe from 5th is better than Europe from 4th. That's bizarre, especially seeing as 4th enabled a shot at CL, something which 5th does not. At worst it's equal.
A CL qualifying round is nothing, 5th is nothing, and 7th defo is nothing.

And that's why position has never been my argument - PL points have been, and that's because every season we need to lay down a marker further in the sand to ensure we eventually get a CL place. That comes by getting 70+ points, unless it's a freak season - and there haven't been many of them.

That season of 2013/14 we took a massive step forward then fell back badly. It's no use reducing it's importance or ridiculing someone who sees it as a significant season - it should be seen as a level of performance we must emulate if we are to get back to being truly competitive again.

A CL qualifying round is nothing, 5th is nothing, and 7th defo is nothing.

And that's why position has never been my argument - PL points have been, and that's because every season we need to lay down a marker further in the sand to ensure we eventually get a CL place. That comes by getting 70+ points, unless it's a freak season - and there haven't been many of them.

That season of 2013/14 we took a massive step forward then fell back badly. It's no use reducing it's importance or ridiculing someone who sees it as a significant season - it should be seen as a level of performance we must emulate if we are to get back to being truly competitive again.
It would only qualify as a significant season if it had been followed up and built on rather than squandered.

As it is, 2013/14 matters not.

And not once have I ever ridiculed you.

It would only qualify as a significant season if it had been followed up and built on rather than squandered.

As it is, 2013/14 matters not.

And not once have I ever ridiculed you.
No, you haven't. It wasn't aimed at you.

As for that season: how can it stand or fall in relation to successive seasons? It's like saying Everton's 1969/70 title winning team should be demoted in its importance because the early 70s were appalling.

Season's stand alone.

Season's stand alone.

They do. And it was a fantastic one. Really enjoyable, and sadly just a few points shy, ironically, of a top 4.

The next 2 less so unfortunately, but hey, thats life.

Hope Martinez makes a decent fist of the Belgium job. Like I have said, a cup/tournament enviroment plays to his strengths. League management unfortunately does not.

They do. And it was a fantastic one. Really enjoyable, and sadly just a few points shy, ironically, of a top 4.

The next 2 less so unfortunately, but hey, thats life.

Hope Martinez makes a decent fist of the Belgium job. Like I have said, a cup/tournament enviroment plays to his strengths. League management unfortunately does not.

You say that but the facts dont stack up. Along with the Wigan relegation he's been a manager for barley 10 years. In that time he resurrected a football club from obscurity, won a trophy with another, proved himself at the biggest club he's been at that he can put together a very good campaign.

The signs are there that he easily has the ability to be a PL manager and he will be again. No question about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back