Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure about the love for Fellaini on here.
I can recall some harsh posts when he was with us.
Big, ineffectual so-and-so! Get yer hair cut Fellaini and you might see the ball better! Oh yes.....

Still a crap league manager, but always been good at cup runs and he is in charge of an outstanding, hugely talented squad.
21 wins from 38 games suggests you're wrong.

Anyway, we'll soon find out how crap he is or not as a league manager when a top Euro club poaches him after this WC.

Martinez managing a Euro power house....Moyes managing in League One, Koeman not managing to find his flip flop order.

The natural order has been re-established.

If he was to navigate a QF against Brazil, semi against France and final against, let's say England to win the world cup, it'd be an absolutely outstanding achievement. Japan proved they were no mugs either the other day.

I like Bobby and will be made up if they win the WC - if Pickford can't win it of course. Could go on for hours about defences and fitness and lack of plan B but that first season was easily the best Everton I've seen in my life (not quite old enough to have seen prime Kendall), and he's just so damn nice lol

I know mate, I'm just putting the view @mkrudden and others had: wanting the manager gone but only with reservations and a sadness it didn't work out.
Spot on D. How could he stay in the end? Banners from fans / protests, no money to bring in quality reinforcements (hence the Niasse purchase as the last throw or the dice) and a stubbornness to see us succeed on the front foot- even without the tools required.
He had to go because he couldn't save the situation. But make no mistake though, he isn't and has never been a bad manager.
Klopp has a different style but the purpose is the same- attack. Klopp gets pelters for the inability to defend but is given 80m to buy one of the league's elite CBs, a CB who helps the RS reach the CL final. When RM was given pelters, he was sacked.
You need money if you want to play good, attractive football and be near the top of the division. Money for quality players.
Martinez proved last night what he can do with quality players playing well. Just like in his first season with us.

He's seen off Brazil, is in the semis and no doubt clicked on more than a few bonus payments on the way.
So 2 gash managers both with teams made up more from Individuals rather than team units are in the semis.
I'd like to see him in the final and wouldnt care either way if he won it...think of the fume

#gash is as gash does

Spot on D. How could he stay in the end? Banners from fans / protests, no money to bring in quality reinforcements (hence the Niasse purchase as the last throw or the dice) and a stubbornness to see us succeed on the front foot- even without the tools required.
He had to go because he couldn't save the situation. But make no mistake though, he isn't and has never been a bad manager.
Klopp has a different style but the purpose is the same- attack. Klopp gets pelters for the inability to defend but is given 80m to buy one of the league's elite CBs, a CB who helps the RS reach the CL final. When RM was given pelters, he was sacked.
You need money if you want to play good, attractive football and be near the top of the division. Money for quality players.
Martinez proved last night what he can do with quality players playing well. Just like in his first season with us.
It's just a pity that he didn't benefit from the massive extra cash virtue of the tv deal increase and the sales of Stones and Lukaku. Imagine if he'd had the £200M the real fraud koeman had to spend?

People who want to deny Martinez is "not a good manager" are welcome to their view. They are way out of step with most other people now (regardless of what Belgium do or dont do in the rest of the WC) and they cant deny his CV - where everywhere he's been he's provided great performances and in most cases the best period in a team's recent history: Swansea taken from the abyss and set on its way to the PL via the football template he created there; Wigan with their one and only trophy; Everton's best football and points haul since the 80s teams; Belgium's best ever run of internationals and best ever WC campaign.

The jury is in on those people who deny Martinez's credibility....they have no credibility themselves...and they know it.

He's seen off Brazil, is in the semis and no doubt clicked on more than a few bonus payments on the way.
So 2 gash managers both with teams made up more from Individuals rather than team units are in the semis.
I'd like to see him in the final and wouldnt care either way if he won it...think of the fume

#gash is as gash does
Degsy. You lost. You know you've lost. Just like the rest of the anti-Martinez circus act. Accept it.

I've nothing against him doing well with Belgium but it doesn't change the fact that his Everton reign fell apart. It's something that happens to many managers at all levels.

Club and International are two different beasts as you can be handed some of the worlds best players at international level and nobody can take them from you. There isn't the same constant day to day workload outside tournaments and even then you have the players in an artificial "Busman's holiday" environment where football is the absolute focus, they're in a hotel living with the team and their outside lives are kind of suspended or set aside bar extraordinary events.

There's a good fly-on-the-wall to be had with that Belgium side as Martinez seems to be very separate from his players in a way I've not seen him. Whether it's a professional distance or a sense of exclusion from the players would be interesting to know.

21 wins from 38 games suggests you're wrong.

Anyway, we'll soon find out how crap he is or not as a league manager when a top Euro club poaches him after this WC.

Martinez managing a Euro power house....Moyes managing in League One, Koeman not managing to find his flip flop order.

The natural order has been re-established.
I foresee a golden window of opportunity to have a good gloat coming your way. Use it wisely.

Degsy. You lost. You know you've lost. Just like the rest of the anti-Martinez circus act. Accept it.
Lost?
I didnt know there was a competition
He's a short burst manager, not Saturday Wednesday Saturday etc manager.
His league results over time dont stand up
The story so far is his KO tournament / International play 3 games in Sept and 3 in Nov, form is much better than his league form...

He took over a lower mid table Bruce Wigan, danced around the plug hole of relegation for a couple of seasons, then fell in.
He was what he was for us...peaked early then slowly down hill...without a sign of an upward direction
He is what he is now for Belgium

League Vs KO/International
Not strictly Apples Vs Apples.

Edit; rumour is he may be offered the Spain job, he may be offered a Club job somewhere while his stock is high
Then we'll see if hes learned form his past efforts

Lost?
I didnt know there was a competition
He's a short burst manager, not Saturday Wednesday Saturday etc manager.
His league results over time dont stand up
The story so far is his KO tournament / International play 3 games in Sept and 3 in Nov, form is much better than his league form...

He took over a lower mid table Bruce Wigan, danced around the plug hole of relegation for a couple of seasons, then fell in.
He was what he was for us...peaked early then slowly down hill...without a sign of an upward direction
He is what he is now for Belgium

League Vs KO/International
Not strictly Apples Vs Apples.

Edit; rumour is he may be offered the Spain job, he may be offered a Club job somewhere while his stock is high
Then we'll see if hes learned form his past efforts
He can get players to play who are professional and want to play.

I dont think there's any doubt that a top club would place their team in his hands gladly.

There isn't too many past Everton managers we can say that about really, is there?

He can get players to play who are professional and want to play.

I dont think there's any doubt that a top club would place their team in his hands gladly.

There isn't too many past Everton managers we can say that about really, is there?
We shall see....
a) if anybody does snap him up.
b) we may also see if they rue the day too
c) who knows, he may have learned from his mistakes and do a good job...for more than 6mths.

Oh and
d) Moyes - United *reconsiders; no you're right on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back