Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said it before on here Dave, I think what it was with Bobby's first season was the change of style, any breath of fresh air is good for a while.

We had Moyes for 11years, it's like eating vanilla ice cream for 11 years, then someone comes along and gives you mint chocy chip.
At first it's great, but once you get used to it and realise it's not all what it's cracked up to be you soon start losing faith.

Martinez is a bad Manager, no ifs or buts. He's too autocratic to be a good football Manager. When your fitness coach decides to walk there is something wrong.
People say his style would work well abroad, I don't agree, he's simply not a good football Manager anywhere.
It wasn't just a change of style mate, it was substance too. 21 wins out of 38 games. I'll repeat that: 21 WINS FROM 38 GAMES.

Until this club is taken over by a billionaire who actually spends cash rather than talks about spending cash that season will not be bettered by any Everton manager. Not at all.

It wasn't just a change of style mate, it was substance too. 21 wins out of 38 games. I'll repeat that: 21 WINS FROM 38 GAMES.

Until this club is taken over by a billionaire who actually spends cash rather than talks about spending cash that season will not be bettered by any Everton manager. Not at all.

Wasn't even bettered or matched by the man himself

image.webp

What Moyes left him was unfit for purpose for the way he wanted us to play...he had to adapt everything, which is why it's always amusing to read the numb nuts conclusions that Moyes had ANYTHING whatsoever to do with that first season record of Martinez's.

Belgium last night? WTF has that got to do with anything? A BS international circus game shines zero light on anything.

Koeman: I see, Martinez's first season here had everything to do with Moyes squad he bequeathed Martinez...but no mention of the squad and system Pochettino bequeathed to Koeman?

Right, I get it.

Mate, you have to admit that Moyes at least left a solid defence, with some good players in attack that needed a manager like Martinez to get the best out of them. He added in some superb signings like Barry, Rom and McCarthy and that gave us the impetus to improve, but the foundations at the back were in place.

And it shows that he is stuck in his ways. He has one of the most highly-rated squads in world football at his disposal and, while they flatter to deceive at times, they literally played in the EXACT same way that we did last season towards the end.

Flat, no craft or guile or defensive organisation. When in possession they simply went sideways. The man can't change - and I really hoped he would to prove a lot wrong who wrote him off completely.

No, Koeman inherited a good squad - but only half of it. Lallana, Lovren, Lambert etc - all key players under Poch, went. He built on that and added some in and improved - just like RM did. My argument was that you are putting RM on a pedestal for doing it with a NEGATIVE NET SPEND of £13M. Koeman did it with a NEGATIVE NET SPEND OF £39M. Your argument would stand more ground if Martinez had had to cope with Fellaini, Baines, Coleman, Jagielka etc leaving in that first summer.

Second season, once again S'ton lost two big players - Clyne and Schneiderlin. Again, they improved.

Martinez lost one key player during his time here (Fellaini). A testament to our refusal to budge yes, but also proving that Koeman had to deal with a higher squad turn-around yet still got the results, adapting his style on a needs-be basis. Something Martinez has proved time and time again he is incapable of (and I'm not going on about the free-flowing stuff, I'm talking about the turgid sideways stuff).

I'll never knock the good things RM did for us. He improved us at first but ultimately, took us backwards - that cannot be argued.

Yes, it was brilliant that first season. Nobody will argue that.

Yeah, Nigel Adkins has done wonders in League 1 too

I won't hold grudges mate.

The good things that RM did aren't changed by the bad.

Just like how our good business this summer doesn't change because of a crap end to the window.

But yeh, he soured massively towards the end and based off last night's display, hasn't (and probably won't) learned.

I could argue his last season was the worst home record any Manager has overseen.
I don't think we'd ever agree on him mate, but that's what forums are for.

Take it easy

Mate, you have to admit that Moyes at least left a solid defence, with some good players in attack that needed a manager like Martinez to get the best out of them. He added in some superb signings like Barry, Rom and McCarthy and that gave us the impetus to improve, but the foundations at the back were in place.

And it shows that he is stuck in his ways. He has one of the most highly-rated squads in world football at his disposal and, while they flatter to deceive at times, they literally played in the EXACT same way that we did last season towards the end.

Flat, no craft or guile or defensive organisation. When in possession they simply went sideways. The man can't change - and I really hoped he would to prove a lot wrong who wrote him off completely.

No, Koeman inherited a good squad - but only half of it. Lallana, Lovren, Lambert etc - all key players under Poch, went. He built on that and added some in and improved - just like RM did. My argument was that you are putting RM on a pedestal for doing it with a NEGATIVE NET SPEND of £13M. Koeman did it with a NEGATIVE NET SPEND OF £39M. Your argument would stand more ground if Martinez had had to cope with Fellaini, Baines, Coleman, Jagielka etc leaving in that first summer.

Second season, once again S'ton lost two big players - Clyne and Schneiderlin. Again, they improved.

Martinez lost one key player during his time here (Fellaini). A testament to our refusal to budge yes, but also proving that Koeman had to deal with a higher squad turn-around yet still got the results, adapting his style on a needs-be basis. Something Martinez has proved time and time again he is incapable of (and I'm not going on about the free-flowing stuff, I'm talking about the turgid sideways stuff).

I'll never knock the good things RM did for us. He improved us at first but ultimately, took us backwards - that cannot be argued.

All this really

Moyes left Martinez a very strong foundation, which he duly built on, but then Martinez showed he simply didn't have a Plan B and, after very good first season, teams sussed us out and he didn't have the ability or impetus to adapt.

He'll do much better for Belgium, this result aside, because he's a decent cup manager. But he had one good season in the Premier League in 13/14 and every other season with both us and Wigan were not good in the slightest. He took Wigan down, a club who had been secure in the top flight when he came in, and took Everton backwards from a solid top half team pushing for Europe to lower table also rans

He did all this while having quite excellent cup runs of course, so I think he'll still do well for Belgium

He's a good cup manager, and should be capable of getting that Belgium side to the latter stages of tournaments

In no way is he the best Everton manager of the PL Era though. That's either Royle or Moyes, depending on what weight you put winning a Cup and building a very good side in the form of The Dogs of War Vs Finishing in the Top 4, re-establishing the team as a top half of the table side after years of relegation battles and reaching a Cup Final

He's above Walker, Smith and Kendall MKIII, for sure, but not any higher

Bloody hell mate, he's been with Belgium for one meaningless game. I'll hold on a while longer before passing judgement on his career as international manager.

Koeman: he didn't achieve with Southampton what Martinez did in his first season here. Nowhere near it. Yes,. he coped well with sales of players, and that was his big achievement. But he has it all to prove here. He's getting the plaudits now, but that needs backing up with results and points on the table.

He's superior to what's departed we're told...so you wont mind me expecting to see evidence of that, will you?

Bloody hell mate, he's been with Belgium for one meaningless game. I'll hold on a while longer before passing judgement on his career as international manager.

Koeman: he didn't achieve with Southampton what Martinez did in his first season here. Nowhere near it. Yes,. he coped well with sales of players, and that was his big achievement. But he has it all to prove here. He's getting the plaudits now, but that needs backing up with results and points on the table.

He's superior to what's departed we're told...so you wont mind me expecting to see evidence of that, will you?

Apart from 2013/14, Koeman has battered Martinez in absolutely every aspect of football and indeed life in general both past and present. Why do you hold one season 3 years ago up as the holy grail? To defend one man who means nothing to you. That's weird mate

Apart from 2013/14, Koeman has battered Martinez in absolutely every aspect of football and indeed life in general. Why do you hold one season 3 years ago up as gospel? To defend one man who means nothing to you. That's weird mate

How has he? What's Koeman done exactly? A couple of worthless Dutch titles that even McClaren can achieve. An FA Cup win trumps those two with ease.

At present Koeman has nothing on his CV of any merit in managerial terms. let's not confuse his playing record with his managerial one. It doesn't bear comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back