Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's one of my favourite day vek moments for sure
Nah still nowhere near the top for me.

Top 1:
iru3JaT.png

How has he? What's Koeman done exactly? A couple of worthless Dutch titles that even McClaren can achieve. An FA Cup win trumps those two with ease.

At present Koeman has nothing on his CV of any merit in managerial terms. let's not confuse his playing record with his managerial one. It doesn't bear comparison.

Compare their PL records. Koeman must have some negative net spend at Soton as well.

Belgium fans would turn against him soon if he does not deliver results. The dressing room too. The Beligian FA just can't be arsed to get a good manager.

No it's not. The game has changed is the only caveat - three seasons ago Leicester, West Ham, Stoke were not as good as they are now.

However, I do believe we've got a better squad than the latter two, and can easily be competing for top 8 based on the players we have at our disposal.

Hopefully Koeman proves the theory right and gets us top six, but I will not be 'expecting' it. I expect a top 8 finish.

That's a valid point actually

The gulf between the top 6-7 of the Premier League and the rest of the League in the 13/14 season compared to now was much bigger. A lot of teams have now strengthened considerably, so the gulf isn't as big as it once was. Once the other sides strengthened, Martinez never got close to 72 points again, which I think is very telling

You really can chalk up that initial good season to us having an element of surprise in what was a pretty poor league. The fact Liverpool almost won the whole thing by having one good player really says it all. Once the other teams got stronger and Martinez was tactically sussed out, it was curtains

Doesn't change the good he did, but it does mitigate it somewhat

This club's most successful PL manager.

Pretty much unanswerable that.

Let's hope Koeman gets near his record. I can't see it, but maybe he can get 60 odd points for us like Moyesie used to get on occasion.

What's the obsession with points? Points are not a good barometer as the league shifts every season. 3 teams leave and 3 new ones join. Countless players are bought and sold. Managers come and go. There are seasons when 61 points gets you 4th and seasons where it gets you 8th. Seasons where 70 odd wins the title and others where it doesn't even let you crack the top 4.

All that matters is league position. Every team plays every other team twice, and the table doesn't lie. If you're 4th you're the 4th best, whether it's 61 points or 80.

If Koeman can get top 7 or 8 it's a step forward. Whether that's 70 points or 50 I'm not bothered.

I dont believe it was Martine's signing.

Why would he sign a player for £13M and refuse to play him?

No chance it was his decision. Look elsewhere to put the blame for him.
I think it was.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/02/oumar-niasse-romelu-lukaku-everton
Oumar Niasse not signed to be Romelu Lukaku’s back-up, says Martínez

Roberto Martínez has insisted Oumar Niasse is not a back-up option for Romelu Lukaku followingEverton’s late move for the Senegal international striker.

Everton made the second most expensive signing on deadline day, the third in their history, when paying £13.5m for the 25-year-old who has scored 13 goals in 23 games for Lokomotiv Moscow this season. Martínez admits Everton had to move fast for Niasse, who had attracted interest from Chelsea, Manchester United, Tottenham Hotspur and several Premier League sides, and also release two first-team players – Steven Naismith and Aiden McGeady – to accommodate the new signing.

4928.jpg

But the Everton manager denied Niasse has been brought to Goodison Park as cover for Lukaku, who has scored 19 goals in all competitions this season and been linked with a summer move to a Champions League club.

“We’re very pleased because he’s someone we have been tracking for a while,” Martínez explained. “The first time we saw Oumar was in the first week of September. Since then we have been trying to find out about his character. He has a specific family situation as his wife is from England, from the north-west, and he’s been following our team and how we play and had a real conscious desire to join us.

“When we saw he was available we moved very quickly, we moved two from the squad and brought someone at 25 who’s been successful in two European leagues [Turkey and Russia] with a real hunger who will fit in well into the dressing room.

“He’s not back-up for anyone. He has his own ability, his own conditions and he is someone who can stretch defenders. He can cope with the physical nature of the Premier League but his last game in the Russian league was 10 December and he’s been on a mid-season break so we need to get him back to fitness as fast as we can.

“He can open space and has a real intelligent way of combining for others. He can fit in different formations – on his own, with another, out wide. He’s flexible and at 25 it’s the perfect moment for coming to the Premier League.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back