Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the obsession with points? Points are not a good barometer as the league shifts every season. 3 teams leave and 3 new ones join. Countless players are bought and sold. Managers come and go. There are seasons when 61 points gets you 4th and seasons where it gets you 8th. Seasons where 70 odd wins the title and others where it doesn't even let you crack the top 4.

All that matters is league position. Every team plays every other team twice, and the table doesn't lie. If you're 4th you're the 4th best, whether it's 61 points or 80.

If Koeman can get top 7 or 8 it's a step forward. Whether that's 70 points or 50 I'm not bothered.
If you're not bothered that we could get 50 points in a season then that severely limits your ambition. That wont get us where we want to go will it?

Points matter. The ability to consistently get into the 70 odd point bracket will ensure that CL qualification looks after itself. It's such a prosaic point that it almost need not be highlighted.

...I'd laugh along with you mate, however we haven't managed to win it for over 20 years.

Btw, Harry Redknapp has coached a team to the CL KO stages. When Koeman does the same maybe the laughter will be warranted.

To be fair mate, Koeman has won titles in 3 different leagues. I had this argument the other night with a R's who tried telling me he was mediocre. I pointed out he has won 4 times the number of managerial honours Klopp has. No 8th place trophy though or relegation on his CV like Fuhrer Klopp has though. Definitely mediocre!

To be fair mate, Koeman has won titles in 3 different leagues. I had this argument the other night with a R's who tried telling me he was mediocre. I pointed out he has won 4 times the number of managerial honours Klopp has. No 8th place trophy though or relegation on his CV like Fuhrer Klopp has though. Definitely mediocre!
???

Just the Dutch title, surely?

If you're not bothered that we could get 50 points in a season then that severely limits your ambition. That wont get us where we want to go will it?

Points matter. The ability to consistently get into the 70 odd point bracket will ensure that CL qualification looks after itself. It's such a prosaic point that it almost need not be highlighted.

You're obviously not bothered either seeing as we got under that total twice in a row with your hero at the helm

Martinez had good points. I really think he had a good idea about how to crack the top 4 without large funding. He absolutely improved our youth development (or maybe Rhino did, but Martinez certainly didn't get in the way of that), and clearly had a vision for growing a team from young, raw players.

It's a good idea.

Too bad it would require a manager with an ounce of tactical awareness.

Poor Belgium. Stuck with the bad bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back