Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joey, it wasn't Howard's fault. He was past it and was a liability at times but its hardly his fault if the manager keeps selecting him to play is it? Even if all our problems at the time were all down to somthing as simple as just the keeper alone (and its not close to being true) it's still on Martinez for selecting him.
You have to ponder why he was selected v a backup keeper who kept ten clean sheets with the same defence in front of them both ........

You have to ponder why he was selected v a backup keeper who kept ten clean sheets with the same defence in front of them both ........
So you agree with me? Martinez's decision to select Howard as first choice keeper was baffling and stupid? How then can you blame Howard for costing Martinez his job? Martinez only has himself to blame since he didn't drop him.

For man who apparently was so dead-set in his "principles" it would say an awful lot about him as a person if he went to manage Madrid. The same bloke who always requested to be referred too in journalism pieces as a Catalan and not a Spaniard, managing the club that, despite all its' allure and prestige, is seen as the main symbol of Spanish nationalism. During a time as well when the independence movement is struggling to legitimise itself in the eyes of the eyes of the world's media and superpowers.

Honestly don't buy all this "he was a lovely guy who loved the club but just didn't have the right ideas" malarkey. He was out for himself and lied through his teeth whilst smiling all to buy himself more time from the most gullible. If he somehow lands the job then whatever, it doesn't affect any of us. Honestly don't see him staying there long though because personalities like Ramos and Benzema will walk all over him. Plus imagine him trying tell to tell the Madrid extremists, who demand heads after they draw a match, that scoring goals in games isn't as important as completing a certain amount of passes. That and his Catalan background would see him chased quicker than Lopetegui was.

Last edited:
So you agree with me? Martinez's decision to select Howard as first choice keeper was baffling and stupid? How then can you blame Howard for costing Martinez his job? Martinez only has himself to blame since he didn't drop him.
I was astounded he was selected ...... it was as if he had a contract to play however crap he was.......

You are focusing on one player instead of the absolute and complete failings of the manager, which I find very, very strange Joey.

The same player kept us in games in his time at Everton.

Shall we list all of Martinez's failings or would we be here all night?

I’m m not stalking you at all mate because I’ve liked almost all your posts, but my god you talk sense.
You seem to see things the same way as normal human evertonians see them, and I like that you can write that in such a way.

Clap, clap,

The legacy lives on: after RM was sacked the club tried to go back to hoofball and were hammered for it. There was no mileage in that. They had to turn to the football template as laid down by Martinez. We now have a Martinez-type manager back again: one who wont revert to the hoof, one who wont see certain fixtures as unwinnable. Brave football where we get on the ball and aren't afraid of a side pressing. That's the Martinez legacy. He lost the battle and won the war.

Marvellous dtuff, Dave :)

Joey, it wasn't Howard's fault. He was past it and was a liability at times but its hardly his fault if the manager keeps selecting him to play is it? Even if all our problems at the time were all down to somthing as simple as just the keeper alone (and its not close to being true) it's still on Martinez for selecting him.
Yeah, what's Howard supposed to say? 'Please don't select me, I suck, choose that Spanish fella with the teeth instead'?
For man who apparently was so dead-set in his "principles" it would say an awful lot about him as a person if he went to manage Madrid. The same bloke who always requested to be referred too in journalism pieces as a Catalan and not a Spaniard, managing the club that, despite all its' allure and prestige, is seen as the main symbol of Spanish nationalism. During a time as well when the independence movement is struggling to legitimise itself in the eyes of the eyes of the world's media and superpowers.

Honestly don't buy all this "he was a lovely guy who loved the club but just didn't have the right ideas" malarkey. He was out for himself and lied through his teeth whilst smiling all to buy himself more time from the most gullible. If he somehow lands the job then whatever, it doesn't affect any of us. Honestly don't see him staying there long though because personalities like Ramos and Benzema will walk all over him. Plus imagine him trying tell to tell the Madrid extremists, who demand heads after they draw a match, that scoring goals in games isn't as important as completing a certain amount of passes. That and his Catalan background would see him chased quicker than Lopetegui was.
I did wonder. I mean, they are the Franco team...and he supports Catalan independence. He's not as loud about it as Guardiola, but he does. The Guanyarem site no longer works, but he was on it, along with Guardiola.

I’m m not stalking you at all mate because I’ve liked almost all your posts, but my god you talk sense.
You seem to see things the same way as normal human evertonians see them, and I like that you can write that in such a way.

Clap, clap,

Thank you kind sir.

Sadly a few posters on here tend to want to be controversial, not sure if it’s just blatant attention seeking or just a bizarre way of looking at things.

Thank you kind sir.

Sadly a few posters on here tend to want to be controversial, not sure if it’s just blatant attention seeking or just a bizarre way of looking at things.
They just disagree profoundly when a poster called Tommy off the internet believes he knows better than FIFA, the Belgium FA, and Real Madrid.

An entirely understandable reaction, IMO.

They just disagree profoundly when a poster called Tommy off the internet believes he knows better than FIFA, the Belgium FA, and Real Madrid.

Do you mean like when Dave off the internet thinks he knows more on transfer policy than the current Everton DoF?

Like GOT's most knowledgeable football fan who insists that the RS are crap whilst every proper football expert seems to think that they are wonderful and will push City all the way. You can't normally have it both ways although I'm sure that you think you can.

Like GOT's most knowledgeable football fan who insists that the RS are crap whilst every proper football expert seems to think that they are wonderful and will push City all the way. You can't normally have it both ways although I'm sure that you think you can.
When have I said they're crap?

Caricature.

I say they're not in City's class, or Chelsea's for that matter.

Sorry for injecting reality into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back