Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roberto's Red Devils v Estonia 7.45 KO

....another step to Moscow.

So far he's doing good with the Belgian team. It's more fun to watch the Belgian team now. I quite like his brand of football. Don't want to criticize Koeman but so far this season it was quite boring; with Martinez there is always some form of excitement.

Unlike under his predecessor (Wilmots) there are clear tactical ideas. Also he has found a way to fit most of the good attackers into the team. They are also able to play multiple formations and they train on set pieces, also something that didn't happen under the predecessor. He pegged Naingollan down a notch, arrogant bugger from time to time. He also uses friendlies to experiment, something I like seeing. Oh and Hazard likes him, which is good because Hazard in the national team is like a frigid woman with migraine.

Against Holland he was unlucky not to win; Lukaku missing open chances (his passing and first touch was good though), not given penalty, Hazard missing in a one on one with the keeper. And the most important factor; the absolute arrogance of the Belgian players, they behaved like show ponies an absolute disgrace. They only sort of committed themselves for one half.

Tonight he has a bit of a challenge on his hands because every decent CB is injured. Kompany, Alderweireld, Engels, Kabasele, Lombaerts, Vermaelen; all injured. He only has Vertonghen and Ciman. Complemented with Simons (39) and Dendoncker (good player but a DMC). So it will be interesting to see if he'll play three at the back.

So far he's doing good with the Belgian team. It's more fun to watch the Belgian team now. I quite like his brand of football. Don't want to criticize Koeman but so far this season it was quite boring; with Martinez there is always some form of excitement.

Unlike under his predecessor (Wilmots) there are clear tactical ideas. Also he has found a way to fit most of the good attackers into the team. They are also able to play multiple formations and they train on set pieces, also something that didn't happen under the predecessor. He pegged Naingollan down a notch, arrogant bugger from time to time. He also uses friendlies to experiment, something I like seeing. Oh and Hazard likes him, which is good because Hazard in the national team is like a frigid woman with migraine.

Against Holland he was unlucky not to win; Lukaku missing open chances (his passing and first touch was good though), not given penalty, Hazard missing in a one on one with the keeper. And the most important factor; the absolute arrogance of the Belgian players, they behaved like show ponies an absolute disgrace. They only sort of committed themselves for one half.

Tonight he has a bit of a challenge on his hands because every decent CB is injured. Kompany, Alderweireld, Engels, Kabasele, Lombaerts, Vermaelen; all injured. He only has Vertonghen and Ciman. Complemented with Simons (39) and Dendoncker (good player but a DMC). So it will be interesting to see if he'll play three at the back.
Thanks for the feedback mate, very interesting.

I notice he got knocked in the English press for starting Hazard up front in a false nine rather than either starting with Lukaku or Origi or whomever. I take your attitude though: it's a friendly so make use of it and experiment. I'm surprised to learn set pieces are being worked on...I can only think you mean for the opposition box!

The lack of CBs makes that an interesting fixture tonight then.

I notice he got knocked in the English press for starting Hazard up front in a false nine rather than either starting with Lukaku or Origi or whomever. I take your attitude though: it's a friendly so make use of it and experiment. I'm surprised to learn set pieces are being worked on...I can only think you mean for the opposition box!

Tears in my eyes.

In Belgium he's not under a lot of criticism. People like him, because well even his critics have to agree he's a sympathetic character.. He doesn't ask a lot of money, which our FA doesn't have, he works for a performance related contract. He also pays some of his staff out of his own pocket. Also the fact that he brought Henry was very popular; for a lot of young people the French team is like our second national team. He goes to see all the teams in our domestic league; good players but they all disappear very quickly (some too quickly like David Henen and Mathias Bossaerts). Apparently he works 7/7 and long hours. Oh and something that always makes you popular in Belgium; he's learning both Dutch and French. If not you're an easy target for the press.

The only criticism he received so far is the non-selection of Naingollan; but even here the opinion is split because a lot of people understand the fact that Naingollan isn't exactly a good professional: he smokes, very big ego... . Nobody really cared about the Spain debacle or such, since well he has to try new things. Wilmots beat France and such in friendlies; but he always played in the same -boring- way. He didn't have an answer against certain formations; see the Wales humiliation in the EC.

Hazard complimented him on this and said that Martinez is able to adapt in a match; something that is very good. He also likes the fact that we are playing with more attackers since it brings more movement which is much easier for him.

Well he's actually training on set pieces. Both on the defensive side and attacking side. Mignolet commented that he's very impressed with this.

Against Holland Mertens played as a striker; which is an understandable experiment since he plays as a striker in Napoli because Millik is injured. Didn't work out; in my opinion because they behaved like arrogant prats. This should work. Anyhow after the match he said he won't try it again. Also Martinez warned everyone that friendlies are for experiments.

The new system which incorporates: KDB, Carrasco (my personal favorite- beast), Mertens, Hazard, Lukaku is at times a joy to watch. Lots of triangles and overlap and such. He just needs to change the mentality of some. He also has to play an attacking formation; because we have an unbalanced squad; awesome attack, weak defence.

A shame that Fellaini is injured; he gets a lot of stick but at least he's always 110 % committed.

Yes will be an interesting match tonight.

In Belgium he's not under a lot of criticism. People like him, because well even his critics have to agree he's a sympathetic character.. He doesn't ask a lot of money, which our FA doesn't have, he works for a performance related contract. He also pays some of his staff out of his own pocket. Also the fact that he brought Henry was very popular; for a lot of young people the French team is like our second national team. He goes to see all the teams in our domestic league; good players but they all disappear very quickly (some too quickly like David Henen and Mathias Bossaerts). Apparently he works 7/7 and long hours. Oh and something that always makes you popular in Belgium; he's learning both Dutch and French. If not you're an easy target for the press.

The only criticism he received so far is the non-selection of Naingollan; but even here the opinion is split because a lot of people understand the fact that Naingollan isn't exactly a good professional: he smokes, very big ego... . Nobody really cared about the Spain debacle or such, since well he has to try new things. Wilmots beat France and such in friendlies; but he always played in the same -boring- way. He didn't have an answer against certain formations; see the Wales humiliation in the EC.

Hazard complimented him on this and said that Martinez is able to adapt in a match; something that is very good. He also likes the fact that we are playing with more attackers since it brings more movement which is much easier for him.

Well he's actually training on set pieces. Both on the defensive side and attacking side. Mignolet commented that he's very impressed with this.

Against Holland Mertens played as a striker; which is an understandable experiment since he plays as a striker in Napoli because Millik is injured. Didn't work out; in my opinion because they behaved like arrogant prats. This should work. Anyhow after the match he said he won't try it again. Also Martinez warned everyone that friendlies are for experiments.

The new system which incorporates: KDB, Carrasco (my personal favorite- beast), Mertens, Hazard, Lukaku is at times a joy to watch. Lots of triangles and overlap and such. He just needs to change the mentality of some. He also has to play an attacking formation; because we have an unbalanced squad; awesome attack, weak defence.

A shame that Fellaini is injured; he gets a lot of stick but at least he's always 110 % committed.

Yes will be an interesting match tonight.
Much appreciated appraisal mate. Thanks. All we get here is Martinez in Belgium reported through the prism of reporters who have a jaundiced view of Martinez due to his last few months here.

I think he's a fantastic attacking coach and is very brave and innovative in that respect. He gave us our best football in his first season many of us had seen since the 1980s. Obviously that standard fell off, but I'm glad to see RM find his feet over there and hope he can do well at the WC, which I'm sure is going to be qualified for.

Good luck tonight.

Much appreciated appraisal mate. Thanks. All we get here is Martinez in Belgium reported through the prism of reporters who have a jaundiced view of Martinez due to his last few months here.

I think he's a fantastic attacking coach and is very brave and innovative in that respect. He gave us our best football in his first season many of us had seen since the 1980s. Obviously that standard fell off, but I'm glad to see RM find his feet over there and hope he can do well at the WC, which I'm sure is going to be qualified for.

Good luck tonight.

He gets paid less a year than Koeman spends on his drivers.

Good luck tonight.

Said it before, I think with a talented group of players, he is well suited as an International boss.

Dont take this the wrong way, but he will not be given the time with them to destroy their defensive abilities that their clubs would have drilled into them.

Wouldnt fall off my stool if he takes them well into the later stages of the WC.

He gets paid less a year than Koeman spends on his drivers.
Disgusts me that feller.

Serves up one of the worst post war defeats....then goes off and tells journalists that the club who pays him £6m per year aren't a club that any decent player will end up playing their best days at.....then tweets a photo of himself with his £60k Jaguar boasting of his 'UK ambassadorial role'.

He's just not an Everton man. Never will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back