Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't talk about Martinez ever. I respond to the blackguarding of the man which is entirely OTT for someone who was here three seasons and left us with a first season that no manager since the 80s has produced in terms of style of play and winning football (and that no manager for the foreseeable will produce either) and took us to a couple of SFs along the way and a very decent journey in Europe. It's ridiculous the stick he gets. That's much more the actions of people who wont give up on an old flame who's kicked them in the balls for daring to have given them hope.

As for Koeman and his antics: well, I never thought Id see the day when an Everton manager dressed in women's clothes (not that there's anything wrong with it) and was a boyhood Kopite (not that there's anything wrong with it).

I suppose it's a sign of enlightened times that our supporters can accept that with a shrug. Progress of a sort. Probably.
Firstly if the stick Martinez gets is OTT, then so is your defence of him based on one season out of three. His first season was good yes, but if Koeman finishes 5th with 73 points will you adulate him as much? Moyes got 4th which was better than Martinez efforts, but you never liked him.

Secondly, surely even you can see the Koeman video is for a laugh (God forbid).

I wouldn't talk about Martinez ever. I respond to the blackguarding of the man which is entirely OTT for someone who was here three seasons and left us with a first season that no manager since the 80s has produced in terms of style of play and winning football (and that no manager for the foreseeable will produce either) and took us to a couple of SFs along the way and a very decent journey in Europe. It's ridiculous the stick he gets. That's much more the actions of people who wont give up on an old flame who's kicked them in the balls for daring to have given them hope.

As for Koeman and his antics: well, I never thought Id see the day when an Everton manager dressed in women's clothes (not that there's anything wrong with it) and was a boyhood Kopite (not that there's anything wrong with it).

I suppose it's a sign of enlightened times that our supporters can accept that with a shrug. Progress of a sort. Probably.

I bet the majority don't care. He got 5th in his first season and he is more remembered as a deluded individual who spouted loads of nonsense and took this club backwards in his 2nd nnd 3rd season.

Mate, I like your trenchant prose; you write well. But your obsession with Martinez is suggesting an unhinged cult-like idolatry. Perhaps you might step back a little from febrile 'keyboard warrioring'...and just take in a little air.
I thought Martinez did some good things but ultimately proved to be 'not all that'. But you exalt him as the second coming.

He wasn't.

Move on.

Firstly if the stick Martinez gets is OTT, then so is your defence of him based on one season out of three. His first season was good yes,
I dont support him solely on that. I supported his time here because he had the right principles to play football and those principles are in line with the club's traditions to get on the ball and play attractive football. It couldn't wortk out in the end but at the very least he underscored that we can still reach those heights when we want to. An oasis in a desert of tripe football served up since the 80s.

but if Koeman finishes 5th with 73 points will you adulate him as much? Moyes got 4th which was better than Martinez efforts, but you never liked him.

If Koeman surpasses that total he will deserve all the plaudits that can be bestowed. He wont though, because to get a club that's under funded into that 70 points plus company is almost impossible to do unless you go out and fight for ewvery three poiunts available. We know Koeman doesn't fancy that with these players as he's proven on a few occasions this season. And the quality he'll need to feel confident to do that he isn't getting. Chalk that milestone off the wish list.
Secondly, surely even you can see the Koeman video is for a laugh (God forbid).

I'm unmoved by it either way, tbh. My point on that is can you imagine the reaction if Martinez had tipped up as a boyhood Liverpool supporter and a youtube video emerged of him cross dressing in whatever context? The stick he'd have got would have been off the charts.

I bet the majority don't care. He got 5th in his first season and he is more remembered as a deluded individual who spouted loads of nonsense and took this club backwards in his 2nd nnd 3rd season.
I wonder what the Dutchman will be remembered for in his time here?

I still consider it a bottling of fourth place rather than getting fifth and agree with the rest

Definitely a guess mate.

Well I don't know a lot of fellow Evertonians but to be honest who would like him and think he is not bang average after the last 2 seasons? If one believes that Martinez had taken this club forward then that's ok because strange thing happens.

Well I don't know a lot of fellow Evertonians but to be honest who would like him and think he is not bang average after the last 2 seasons? If one believes that Martinez had taken this club forward then that's ok because strange thing happens.
absolutely.
I understand why people are against him / don't rate him, I just think there are many of us around who think he could have turned it around.

absolutely.
I understand why people are against him / don't rate him, I just think there are many of us around who think he could have turned it around.

Mid-way through his second season I think quite a lot of posters here had not given up. This time last year I deem 95% of people want him gone. As you said, that's my guess judging from forum response and the Evertonians I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back