Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was too nice. I think we all recognise that. He tried to play it diplomatically and the snides weren't having any of it. I think he learned his lesson by kicking Mirallas and Naingollan out of the Belgian squad.

I don't think Mirallas was a serious contender regardless of his attitude. The Naingollan one was a big call and it looks like he got that right so fair play to him.

Interesting to see the tactical switches he's made with the Belgium line-up and if it's down to him clocking somethings not working and changing it then well done. But is there still that alleged stubbornness to accept somethings not working and even ignore what's clearly happening if it doesn't conform to his idea of what's correct?

His plan of keeping De Bruyne quite shackled was strange and Carrasco was identified by many as defensively problematic out wide even pre-tournament but Martinez persisted until 2-0 down against Japan.

Was the selection and shape against Brazil a genuine long held plan or the result of a last gasp throw of the dice against Japan playing out unexpectedly well forcing his hand?

It’s alright, his luck ends Tuesday. Brown knickers to go with the brown shoes. No cheating out of this one you Mongreal Dutch and French.

I bear no malice to Martinez and genuinely believe he did his best with us, and if it had came off it would have been beautiful. Unfortunately, there were some who were not up to the task both in terms of skill and attitude when he was here, and it all went wrong and players like Baines who I am sure did what he did with the best of intentions, comes out tainted by the whole thing. If only Martinez had a touch of the bast**d about him, he might have hoofed some of those deadbeats out or frightened them into toeing the line. Ach well... we will never know.

It's an interesting point that @davek makes about Naingollan. He just got rid. Fairly high profile, but a big message to the others in the squad about getting with the programme.

As for the Belgian side, he has the players with the requisite skills in Hazard and De Bruyne. A tough ready made set of defensive players which he doesn't have to interfere with. And a prize within grasping distance that should maintain the squad's focus. I'm intrigued to see what he does against the French. Hope he meets England in the final and then blows it mind you.

Roberto's World Cup dream will end tomorrow at the hands of the champions-elect. Nevertheless, it's been great seeing the little genius rubbing his detractors noses in it and underlining how much they got it wrong.

An absolutley stunning World Cup campaign from RM whatever happens now.

Roberto's World Cup dream will end tomorrow at the hands of the champions-elect. Nevertheless, it's been great seeing the little genius rubbing his detractors noses in it and underlining how much they got it wrong.

An absolutley stunning World Cup campaign from RM whatever happens now.

There`s always the Barcelona job, next season ;)

There`s always the Barcelona job, next season ;)

I thought he'd get the Spanish job, but I suppose he'll take a top Euro club on now. No way he'll stick around Belgium after tomorrow night. That team has run its course and a SF of the WC was their limit.

I thought he'd get the Spanish job, but I suppose he'll take a top Euro club on now. No way he'll stick around Belgium after tomorrow night. That team has run its course and a SF of the WC was their limit.

Top clubs would probably take a closer look at him rather than his "achievement" in getting one of the most talented groups of players on the planet deep into the WC. Lets face it, Southgate has done that with kids. And has an arguably similar, if not slightly better, record as a club manager.

He's exceeded expectations imo; taken a team of which not a lot was expected, and got them to the semis of the World Cup. I appreciate Southgate has done similar with England, but Turnip had better players at his disposal and most people expected 'football to be coming home'.
Is Barcelona a realistic ambition for Bobby. There has always been a lot of talk about him ending up there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back