Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top clubs would probably take a closer look at him rather than his "achievement" in getting one of the most talented groups of players on the planet deep into the WC. Lets face it, Southgate has done that with kids. And has an arguably similar, if not slightly better, record as a club manager.
Southgate has done well, no question. He'd have failed the Brazil test though. No question about that either. That's why he avoided it. And it is an achievement for RM to get a lot of talented but egotistical star players to submit to a plan of his making. I very much doubt Southgate could have done the same. And how on earth is Southgate's career as a manager anything as good as Martinez's? His one and only job at Boro was a disaster.

Southgate has done well, no question. He'd have failed the Brazil test though. No question about that either. That's why he avoided it. And it is an achievement for RM to get a lot of talented but egotistical star players to submit to a plan of his making. I very much doubt Southgate could have done the same. And how on earth is Southgate's career as a manager anything as good as Martinez's? His one and only job at Boro was a disaster.

He got Middlesborough to a European final, and relegated. Martinez won a pot, and got relegated. As I said, arguably. Unless I am wrong, quite possibly, about the EL final.

Reckon both have had a very good WC, and reckon both are better in this format than club management.

Edit. I couldnt have been more wrong about the Final btw. Not a clue why I thought that happened. Effin heatwave.

He got Middlesborough to a European final, and relegated. Martinez won a pot, and got relegated. As I said, arguably. Unless I am wrong, quite possibly, about the EL final.

Reckon both have had a very good WC, and reckon both are better in this format than club management.

Edit. I couldnt have been more wrong about the Final btw. Not a clue why I thought that happened. Effin heatwave.
Paul Wilson did a piece on the similarities between the two manager which I found interesting
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...uthgate-belgium-england-world-cup-semi-finals

McClaren did.

His record at Boro was abysmal.

RM resurrected one club toward the PL; another club handed its one and only trophy; Everton it's best ever win/points season record; and now Belgium their best ever international tournament.

There is no comparison.

McClaren did.

His record at Boro was abysmal.

RM resurrected one club toward the PL; another club handed its one and only trophy; Everton it's best ever win/points season record; and now Belgium their best ever international tournament.

There is no comparison.

Correct. My mistake.

Still reckon Martinez is way more suited to tournament football.

It’s a shame Bobby didn’t have the humility to accept his tactics had been found out big time 6 months into his Everton tenure.

He got the club, he gave us a great start to a season and it’s a shame that our loss is Belgium’s gain.

It’s a shame Bobby didn’t have the humility to accept his tactics had been found out big time 6 months into his Everton tenure.

He got the club, he gave us a great start to a season and it’s a shame that our loss is Belgium’s gain.

Not to be too much of a pain, but folks talk about revising history on here about our old manager quite a bit.

He was hired in June of 2013 and we went up to 4th place on the 12th of April 2014. So a little over 10 months by my count.

Anyway, carry on.

Yeah, I feel a little sad at this too. Even as late as Autumn 2015 there was still time for Bobby to steady the ship. We were playing good football, almost trying to walk the ball into the net but then conceding on the break. Had we had a solid December/January and not lost to the RS things could've been so different.

He's learnt from his mistakes and is better for it. We unfortunately are in a bit of a mess. Koeman was wrong for the club. Allardyce obviously was wrong. We've lost our most promising players, and Silva is a bigger risk than Martinez was on appointment.

I like Martinez, and I like his Belgium...but it's deffo bitter-sweet watching them do so well, especially with Rom & Fellaini killing it.

I hope I'm around when the true story of Everton under Martinez eventually comes out. There were dark murmurings at the time and I am more inclined to give them credence now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back