Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Martinez new Belgium head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really dont need to do anything but play a straight bat to win, but I'm like Viv Richards: sauntering to the crease and smacking balls out for 4's and 6's to a calypso beat.
I've just realised. ...
You're a nutter.
But I love you more than I've ever loved anyone.

I'm not really sure what your point is with that reply
You staed earlier in the thread that it took Spurs 10 years to get to where they are now. I replied that an ambition of CL qualification was the first step in achieving that. You then underlined that it was a 10 year journey for Spurs. Then I said 'you said it'.

We can set ourslves a target of doing what Spurs do, but you dont get there in one leap. It's incremental. And to dismiss qualification for the CL as you did as an initial objective is ridiculous.

He frequently talked out of his hoop, and was embarrassing when he said stuff like he did about a bang average player like Cleverley.

I would much prefer a manage who spoke about every one of our players like they are the best in the world rather than one that downplays everybody and everything.

He was a bad match in that regard though I suppose as we love a good downplaying.

We have never qualified for the Champions League...

Does my head in that Moyes gets that on his CV. We did not qualify. Its like Derby saying they got to the Premier League yesterday purely by getting to a game where a place in said league was on the line.

There is no point in getting fourth if you don't qualify, it means nothing.

No manager has got us to that stage...

We have never qualified for the Champions League.

Mate, we finished 4th under Moyes. It wasn’t his fault UEFA changed the rules for the neighbors.

Let’s not argue over minor detail. Moyes is the only manager to get us qualification to the CL by finishing in the required places.

We have never qualified for the Champions League...

Does my head in that Moyes gets that on his CV. We did not qualify. Its like Derby saying they got to the Premier League yesterday purely by getting to a game where a place in said league was on the line.

There is no point in getting fourth if you don't qualify, it means nothing.

Does your head in that Moyes finished 4th which qualified you for CL football?

Smashing stuff.

Mate, we finished 4th under Moyes. It wasn’t his fault UEFA changed the rules for the neighbors.

Let’s not argue over minor detail. Moyes is the only manager to get us qualification to the CL by finishing in the required places.

A minor detail???

We didn't qualify for the champions league therefore got zero riches from it, zero chance to attract players and in a month or so's time were getting pumped by the third best team in Bucharest in the consolation cup. We didn't even get the champions league theme!

Literally not actually qualifying for the Champions league in a discussion about qualifying for the champions league is a pretty major detail!

We still would have faced a qualifying game, we still would have got beat because of big game Davy.

You staed earlier in the thread that it took Spurs 10 years to get to where they are now. I replied that an ambition of CL qualification was the first step in achieving that. You then underlined that it was a 10 year journey for Spurs. Then I said 'you said it'.

We can set ourslves a target of doing what Spurs do, but you dont get there in one leap. It's incremental. And to dismiss qualification for the CL as you did as an initial objective is ridiculous.
To say we need a manager who can maybe get us into the CL is failing to shoot high enough. Every move we should make should be with the end goal of finishing first not finishing 6th than 4th than 1st. Obviously there will he a progression but the key is not saying our goal is to get CL without adding that once we are in we want to make it again and again until we are competing to win it. And a manager who gets us 5th 11th 11th and loses semi finals isnt going to be good enough in less we are happy to continue making up the numbers.

That's the difference with Spurs. They've been unyielding in their desire to win every match and not settle for pretty much every day since Poch arrived. Honestly the RS have been the same under Klopp and the same with City under Guardiola. Looking back at Martinez like some savior because of one admittedly incredible season is how we continue to be best of the rest and all those other insults lobbed our way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back