Martinez: The Reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have criticised RM this season, at times this season there was no hiding place for him and some of his decisions have been baffling
I have no issue in constructive criticism, as I believe we have a right to opinions and hence why there are forums for us to discuss.
My point is there are certain people who will find any fault they can with him and this for me is not constructive, it just seems to boils down to a total dislike for the man.
the long term answer, you will only find that out by giving him a tenure to prove himself.
The problem being now the expectation on his head I feel will always be to much for him to be a success.

As for the long term answer, we could do what Spurs do and play manager roulette hoping to find the right man

Check out the Moyes at Sociedad thread for the best example of this, where personal hatred of the man clouds any objective comment.

The personality of the manager should never come into it IMO. Opinions and judgement should be based solely on performance and results.

It's a bit extreme to suggest we should do a Spurs and sack managers after a season or so. We have neither the Chairman who is willing nor the finances to do that. Managers should be given time and RM will be. But that doesn't mean fans can't hold the opinion that he is not the right man for the job.

Last edited:
Check out the Moyes at Sociedad thread for the best example of this, where personal hatred of the man clouds any objective comment.

The personality of the manager should never come into it IMO. Opinions and judgement should be based solely on performance and results.

It's a bit extreme to suggest we should a Spurs and sack managers after a season or so. We have neither the Chairman who is willing nor the finances to do that. Managers should be given time and RM will be. But that doesn't mean fans can't hold the opinion that he is not the right man for the job.
I liked Moyes and was in someways gutted he left but did feel it was the right time for all parties.
I use Spurs as an example as some people for whatever reason want RM out, using Spurs as an example just highlights this could be the path we tread if not careful.
As mentioned no issue with constructive opinions, but you have to admit there are people who no matter what, want him gone...

I think its a big summer, get the right ones in the wrong ones out. In, out, in out shake it all about

Aye.

Last summer, most of our spend was on Lukaku. Something with the long term in mind hopefully.

If we can get rid of a few of our current fringe players/deadwood, then spread what we have on a few choicy bits of quality, plus throw in having less games to play, then we could have a good season.

How is it? Moyes failed here, he failed at man u and he's doing a below average job at sociedad.

Brennan's all like well martinez is doing just as good as moyes did. Well whoop be bleeding do. It wasn't good enough under ginger balls, either.

I meant the part where you said you could get a better points return ! But I personally think that he wasnt given enough time at Utd, and he's doing ok at Sociedad with an inherited squad who were in relegation places.

As for his time here, I am amazed at your lack of appreciation for what he did here. Look at where we were post Walter to Bobby's first season. With some decent EPL finishes thrown in there, a cup final etc - no I dont set the benchmark of success as runners up or semi final appearances but in comparison to what came before it vice '95 then it was a massive upturn.

I meant the part where you said you could get a better points return ! But I personally think that he wasnt given enough time at Utd, and he's doing ok at Sociedad with an inherited squad who were in relegation places.

As for his time here, I am amazed at your lack of appreciation for what he did here. Look at where we were post Walter to Bobby's first season. With some decent EPL finishes thrown in there, a cup final etc - no I dont set the benchmark of success as runners up or semi final appearances but in comparison to what came before it vice '95 then it was a massive upturn.
Like Rodgers now, Moyes bottled the really crucial games, games that could have changed the course of Everton's recent history. When the pressure was really on, he failed. That explains our poor starts to a season, followed by strong periods when the pressure was off and expectations had been successfully lowered. Even when we qualified for the CL our results in the last few months when the pressure was cranked up were very poor.

I was a few pages behind in the thread because of timezones, so I just sent you a message to disagree with your stance, they're just little numbers, don't be upset by them :)

If you thought there wasn't 3 teams worse than us in the league this season then you need help pal.

Like i said mate, at that time 2 wins in a dozen games at that time, with no real sign of change tactically or personnel, there was every right to be worried. My main worry was how can people sit there and say 'im not worried' then expect the players to give one ounce of care for the fight that we faced ?

Getting lazy or careless in football can cost dearly in this game - and its only going to get tougher with smaller teams having money to spend thanks to BT/SKY etc.....

Like i said mate, at that time 2 wins in a dozen games at that time, with no real sign of change tactically or personnel, there was every right to be worried. My main worry was how can people sit there and say 'im not worried' then expect the players to give one ounce of care for the fight that we faced ?

Getting lazy or careless in football can cost dearly in this game - and its only going to get tougher with smaller teams having money to spend thanks to BT/SKY etc.....

I can understand you being worried, I'm not trying to be a better fan or anything, I just never felt that it was a concern for us, no matter who crap we were, other teams were worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back