2020/21 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is one on one, but I’ve seen countless times that he’s played a ridiculous ball infield to Doucoure or Allan looking for a one two on the overlap that is just not on. He’s then been caught out of position.

Holgate seems to stay behind the play. We won’t get the sort of goals we got against Palace or maybe Fulham but considering the confidence of the squad was so low then just getting back to basics was sensible.
Holgate made a couple of intelligent runs 2nd half but iwobi didn’t find him. He’s also kept Werner and Barnes quiet. 2 of the quickest forwards in the league, I’m all for keeping him and Iwobi on that side. They have struck up a good partnership.

RS fans think that every one of their players is the best in the world. RS that. We have a very talented young defender and you think that he is a back up player. Everton that. No wonder our players suffer from confidence issues.

Give over. It's not like I'm DMing him on insta and giving him grief. I genuinely think he's a good player. He is. He's quick, committed and aggressive. I think he's a great option in the squad, plays 3 or 4 positions and always gives 100%. Just what you want

I just don't think he's that good. On the ball can be lackadaisical and prone to lapses in concentration in and around the box. Also very 'Everton that' to cherish attitude over quality on the ball. The players who suffer confidence issues aren't those like Mason Holdgate, who the fans are well into. They're players like Ademola Lookman or Moise Kean. Genuine talent who don't fit the Everton brief. Which is fine. It is possible to do both - talent on the ball and work hard - and there's nothing wrong with demanding that.

Either way I thought Harvey Barnes had him on hot bread on Wednesday. Is Harvey Barnes that good? Also lost Vardy for the header, probably should have been a goal.

Give over. It's not like I'm DMing him on insta and giving him grief. I genuinely think he's a good player. He is. He's quick, committed and aggressive. I think he's a great option in the squad, plays 3 or 4 positions and always gives 100%. Just what you want

I just don't think he's that good. On the ball can be lackadaisical and prone to lapses in concentration in and around the box. Also very 'Everton that' to cherish attitude over quality on the ball. The players who suffer confidence issues aren't those like Mason Holdgate, who the fans are well into. They're players like Ademola Lookman or Moise Kean. Genuine talent who don't fit the Everton brief. Which is fine. It is possible to do both - talent on the ball and work hard - and there's nothing wrong with demanding that.

Either way I thought Harvey Barnes had him on hot bread on Wednesday. Is Harvey Barnes that good? Also lost Vardy for the header, probably should have been a goal.

Yer but he leathered that lesbo firmino a few years ago so he's forever a ledge

no offence, and i totally respect your right to an opinion, but that is utter nonsense mate

See above.

Being a back-up utility player doesn't make him a bad player. Just don't think he's that good is all.

In 3 years time when we're challenging for the top four, he'll still be here. First choice replacement off the bench and can play both full backs, centre back and CDM. What more do you want?

I am not sure what I want when Coleman and Digne are fit again. At the moment we look solid. Bring back Coleman and digne and Yes we can get them attacking again thus weakening us again at the back. Spaces will appear again with Mina and Kean attempting to plug but getting dragged out from usual positions. It is a knock on affect that creates holes everywhere.

Being solid at the back then restricts our forward play and we then create less chances.
Solid back 4 and we concede possession and create less but stay in control of our shape.
Coleman and Digne great attacking full backs will help us create chances but expose us at the back.

Like I said. I don't know which I prefer.
At least with the solid back 4 with Carlo we are not defending for the sake of defending and still attempting to find ways of scoring rather than an alamo attitude. We are still trying to play football.

Play him for Allan

He has the skill to do it.

Becoming a convert mate? Was going to ask what you thought of him as an impartial observer.. has taken him a couple games to get up to speed.. There was a lot of talk on him before he got game time and you must have been curious to see the player in action

Good post that.

There are a couple of cavaets. The first being that he has just turned 24, so still has room to improve, with the team. I also think his lapses in concentration have got worse.

Re Harvey Barnes, I think he is quite highly rated, I didn't see all the game but looks as if he gave as good as he got. The week before, I didn't think he gave Werner and then Abraham much of a sniff.

The concern you'd have is in the air. He doesn't win many headers, which is a big part of being a CB in this league. I wonder if his best position may be nailing down a slot at rught back.

It's odd really, but he's the sort of player that a Manchester United had back in the day. Great attitude and could play a number of positions and would never let you down. Players like that are invaluable.

I am not sure what I want when Coleman and Digne are fit again. At the moment we look solid. Bring back Coleman and digne and Yes we can get them attacking again thus weakening us again at the back. Spaces will appear again with Mina and Kean attempting to plug but getting dragged out from usual positions. It is a knock on affect that creates holes everywhere.

Being solid at the back then restricts our forward play and we then create less chances.
Solid back 4 and we concede possession and create less but stay in control of our shape.
Coleman and Digne great attacking full backs will help us create chances but expose us at the back.

Like I said. I don't know which I prefer.
At least with the solid back 4 with Carlo we are not defending for the sake of defending and still attempting to find ways of scoring rather than an alamo attitude. We are still trying to play football.

James in for Sigurdsson to increase our creativity. Digne at left back and Godfrey to replace one of the centrebacks. That allows Digne to do his thing going forward but gives us pace on that side of the defence. Holgate to remain at right back and keep that side locked down. Could be an ideal balance for us if Digne doesn’t go crazy.

Becoming a convert mate? Was going to ask what you thought of him as an impartial observer.. has taken him a couple games to get up to speed.. There was a lot of talk on him before he got game time and you must have been curious to see the player in action

Really like him. I thought it was a bad idea tl start him vs United( I think that was the match) right after a long lay off, but I like his game. Skilled for his position and with good intelligence and movement.

It's crazy considering how many goals we tend to concede, but we have a nice group of CBs.

James in for Sigurdsson to increase our creativity. Digne at soft back and Godfrey to replace one of the centrebacks. That allows Digne to do his thing going forward but gives us pace on that side of the defence. Holgate to remain at right back and keep that side locked down. Could be an ideal balance for us if Digne doesn’t go crazy.

I would brodly go along with this. I don't think Holgate has nailed down a CB slot currently and is doing very well at fullback. I also think, Coleman is not an instant starter for us as Digne is. However well Coleman's done, thats not his role now, given his age. There could even be games, where he does what Kenny is doing now for us, and fills in for 20 minutes ahead of Holgate to see games out.

Really like him. I thought it was a bad idea tl start him vs United( I think that was the match) right after a long lay off, but I like his game. Skilled for his position and with good intelligence and movement.

It's crazy considering how many goals we tend to concede, but we have a nice group of CBs.

Yep baffles me too.. I rate our back 4 as a whole and feel as good as almost any in the EPL but we kept shipping goals.. I have put this down to poor possession in midfield more than defensive frailties. The more Holgate plays the better he will get. Last year was a clear starter for England in my opinion.. I felt he was up with the best English CBs in the league... I'm sure he will get back to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.