2021/22 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again spot on . I was in a boozer by the ground full of blues and the response was generally happy he was still on but incredulity that he was . It’s mad .

The penalty the ref saw what he saw I’m not convinced he saw anything else on replay so what’s changed his mind ? Holgate got a red for the follow through but lloris isn’t a Penalty, it just hurts my head .

I look at the last game pre lock down against Man U -Robbed by var , brighton - robbed by var the spurs handball from alli-robbed I could go on .

I won't be popular here, but I don't have a problem with any of the decisions yesterday. Felt like VAR got them all correct.

Penalty - I wasn't feeling well yesterday, so missed the game and watched on IPTV - there was a camera angle on BEIN that I didn't see anywhere on social media afterwards which shows Lloris get a hand on the ball pretty clearly. My only issue with it is that the ref blew up while we still had a chance to score. The actual incident itself is never a pen for me - I'd have been livid if it was given against us.

Holgate - The follow through is avoidable IMO. Can debate that one all day I guess, but the shape is nasty

Cresswell - Unlike the Holgate one, I don't think he can avoid that. His foot bounces off the ball. In real time I thought it was a red, but the replay changed my mind.

I won't be popular here, but I don't have a problem with any of the decisions yesterday. Felt like VAR got them all correct.

Penalty - I wasn't feeling well yesterday, so missed the game and watched on IPTV - there was a camera angle on BEIN that I didn't see anywhere on social media afterwards which shows Lloris get a hand on the ball pretty clearly. My only issue with it is that the ref blew up while we still had a chance to score. The actual incident itself is never a pen for me - I'd have been livid if it was given against us.

Holgate - The follow through is avoidable IMO. Can debate that one all day I guess, but the shape is nasty

Cresswell - Unlike the Holgate one, I don't think he can avoid that. His foot bounces off the ball. In real time I thought it was a red, but the replay changed my mind.
I’ve not seen the penalty again apart from online clips and moments on the screen , at this exact second I’ll take some convincing but other than That I agree .

The penalty is stonewall, he goes through Richarlison's ankle to get the ball. We are also told getting the ball is irrelevant these days as shown by the Holgate tackle. So I don't see how it was a clear and obvious error. Either way the keeper has brought him down with a clear goalscoring opportunity. It's effectively a double punishment because he stopped us having a free shot into an empty net only to then overturn a penalty.

That incident is a penalty 99 times out of 100. There are videos online which couldn't be any more clear. The VAR should not be involved. There is no consistency and the actual referees need to stop overseeing the VAR. We need seperate officials who only work as video refs.

The penalty is stonewall, he goes through Richarlison's ankle to get the ball. We are also told getting the ball is irrelevant these days as shown by the Holgate tackle. So I don't see how it was a clear and obvious error. Either way the keeper has brought him down with a clear goalscoring opportunity. It's effectively a double punishment because he stopped us having a free shot into an empty net only to then overturn a penalty.

That incident is a penalty 99 times out of 100. There are videos online which couldn't be any more clear. The VAR should not be involved. There is no consistency and the actual referees need to stop overseeing the VAR. We need seperate officials who only work as video refs.

Not for me mate - Would you genuinely have been ok with that being given against us?

Not for me mate - Would you genuinely have been ok with that being given against us?

I am upset any time a decision is given against us lol

But I genuinely expect that to be a penalty. That is given 99 times out of 100. I don't think anyone can argue it is a clear error. The fact it's a double punishment made it worse. If you need that many views then it's clearly not an obvious mistake. He brought the man down, getting the ball is irrelevant in this day and age, as we see on a weekly basis. Anywhere else on the pitch it's a foul with no questions asked.

I am upset any time a decision is given against us lol

But I genuinely expect that to be a penalty. That is given 99 times out of 100. I don't think anyone can argue it is a clear error. The fact it's a double punishment made it worse. If you need that many views then it's clearly not an obvious mistake. He brought the man down, getting the ball is irrelevant in this day and age, as we see on a weekly basis. Anywhere else on the pitch it's a foul with no questions asked.

I’ve watched it about 30 times, slowed right down, and I cannot see even the slightest touch on the ball from Lloris.

I’ve watched it about 30 times, slowed right down, and I cannot see even the slightest touch on the ball from Lloris.

Yeah I'm not sure if he touched it, but if he did, then he had to go through the ankle to get to it. It's just not an obvious error, and the VAR shouldn't be involved. There is no consistency and that's why I will never like VAR

Less said about yesterday the better

I like Mason and I think he did well to come back from the WBA loan and kick on for a bit in the defence

He seems to be a momentum player to me, someone whose form is effected more than others when he's in a rut

With our squad the way it is we're going to have to hope he can play himself back into form at some stage when he's back from this suspension

Hopefully Benitez is done with experimenting with him as a midfielder for the time being

Yeah I'm not sure if he touched it, but if he did, then he had to go through the ankle to get to it. It's just not an obvious error, and the VAR shouldn't be involved. There is no consistency and that's why I will never like VAR
VAR is wham. I actually was certain Lloris got a decent touch on the ball, but I've no idea what the rule is. Can you get a clear touch on it, but also lightly touch the striker and concede a penalty if he decides to go to ground? There is absolutely no consistency in the usage of VAR and that's the main issue for me. The reason they claimed it would improve the game was because it's was not supposed to be in the hands of a certain individual, yet that's exactly what it is! If the VAR official decides to call it in then the referee will 99% go along with his suggestion, hence why, whenever the referee goes to the monitor, the decision is almost anyways overturned.

It's a little disappointing to see how much Mason Holgate has regressed. He remember him being quite a decent CB with some good potential under Silva.
I think his reaction is slower in the last 2-3 seasons and has poor anticipation to his surroundings. He has been making some reckless tackles this season as well. The red card challenge was just him being his usual reckless self.

And I don't feel like he likes playing for Everton anymore. Or he lost his confidence. He always look like he's expecting the worst whenever he plays - like he doesn't believe he will win the ball, win the challenge, etc.

Don't get how people are describing the Holgate incident as a tackle. It was a clearance, his eyes were following the ball as Hojberg came across him. Pulling his foot away before colliding would have been difficult. I feel he was unlucky. If he was a goalkeeper colliding with an opposition player after a clearance he would be given a free-kick every time. The clearance was probably the best thing he did yesterday.

It's a little disappointing to see how much Mason Holgate has regressed. He remember him being quite a decent CB with some good potential under Silva.
I think his reaction is slower in the last 2-3 seasons and has poor anticipation to his surroundings. He has been making some reckless tackles this season as well. The red card challenge was just him being his usual reckless self.

And I don't feel like he likes playing for Everton anymore. Or he lost his confidence. He always look like he's expecting the worst whenever he plays - like he doesn't believe he will win the ball, win the challenge, etc.
I don't think he has regressed, he's always been massively overrated and a total liability

Richi was looking for the contact IMO. Wouldn’t really argue strongly either way but the ref stopping the game when we had the ball was dreadful.
I'm with you. When I saw it real time I thought it would be a soft penalty if given. However, the referee painted himself into a corner by stopping the game. Should have let play continue and see what happened...they are permitted to do that after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.