2021/22 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a little disappointing to see how much Mason Holgate has regressed. He remember him being quite a decent CB with some good potential under Silva.
I think his reaction is slower in the last 2-3 seasons and has poor anticipation to his surroundings. He has been making some reckless tackles this season as well. The red card challenge was just him being his usual reckless self.

And I don't feel like he likes playing for Everton anymore. Or he lost his confidence. He always look like he's expecting the worst whenever he plays - like he doesn't believe he will win the ball, win the challenge, etc.
Well he had chance to move to Norwich or Brighton in the summer but turned them down as he wanted to stay and fight for his place but that would have been before Benitz so maybe he realises he gonna be out of favour so maybe he lost confidence over that.

Guess what - the game wants to stamp out these types of challenges where its studs into someones leg, with intent or not. He's not allowed to do it. More consistency would be good, the photo above with the villa player should get the same penalty as Holgate.

As for intent - I think Holgate could have avoided it, I don't think he needed to have gone to ground.

Did you read my post? I said it was clumsy and acknowledged why I could see why it was a red.

I had hopes for him, especially when he played those few games as a holding midfielder. I thought he looked good, now I think he looks finished. I dont care what people think he cleared the ball and went in with power in my book thats a quality clearance but then I guess Im old school. He got caught out a few times, misplaced a pass or two and then got a red. A bad day at the office. I honestly hope he turns it around and proves me wrong.

Hojberg was licking his lips when Holgate came on. Hojberg could thank Holgate for playing against ten men and almost conceding the winner.

I’ve watched it about 30 times, slowed right down, and I cannot see even the slightest touch on the ball from Lloris.
He touches the ball with his finger tips. Still a clear pen. He is touching the ball and in the same time he takes Richarlison out. If he gets the ball away and later touches Richarlison it isnt a penalty. In this case Richarlison couldnt play the ball because the keeper fouls him and not because the ball was away.

Don't get how people are describing the Holgate incident as a tackle. It was a clearance, his eyes were following the ball as Hojberg came across him. Pulling his foot away before colliding would have been difficult. I feel he was unlucky. If he was a goalkeeper colliding with an opposition player after a clearance he would be given a free-kick every time. The clearance was probably the best thing he did yesterday.

He’s an even worse player than I thought if that’s how he kicks a ball.

Don't get how people are describing the Holgate incident as a tackle. It was a clearance, his eyes were following the ball as Hojberg came across him. Pulling his foot away before colliding would have been difficult. I feel he was unlucky. If he was a goalkeeper colliding with an opposition player after a clearance he would be given a free-kick every time. The clearance was probably the best thing he did yesterday.

It wasn’t an attempt at a clearance mate, he flew in with studs up, it was a terrible challenge and Holgate knew what he was doing.

People quick to jump on his back cas they don't like him / he's playing poorly. Bit of a freak accident, slow motion done for him. See why it was a red, but if I'm kicking a ball as far as I can my foot ends up knee high, also think his back foot slips taking both feet off ground.
Getting caught on the ball twice before that shows why he can't play mid in prem.

It wasn’t an attempt at a clearance mate, he flew in with studs up, it was a terrible challenge and Holgate knew what he was doing.
Your right it wasn't an "attempt" at a clearance, did you see how far the ball went? It was a clearance, try kicking a ball that far by purely flying in. Knew what he was doing is laughable

People quick to jump on his back cas they don't like him / he's playing poorly. Bit of a freak accident, slow motion done for him. See why it was a red, but if I'm kicking a ball as far as I can my foot ends up knee high, also think his back foot slips taking both feet off ground.
Getting caught on the ball twice before that shows why he can't play mid in prem.

Your right it wasn't an "attempt" at a clearance, did you see how far the ball went? It was a clearance, try kicking a ball that far by purely flying in. Knew what he was doing is laughable

It was a terrible challenge and worthy of a red card.

I don’t think Holgate ever knows what he’s doing.

I had hopes for him, especially when he played those few games as a holding midfielder. I thought he looked good, now I think he looks finished. I dont care what people think he cleared the ball and went in with power in my book thats a quality clearance but then I guess Im old school. He got caught out a few times, misplaced a pass or two and then got a red. A bad day at the office. I honestly hope he turns it around and proves me wrong.
He's never had a good day at the office.

Status
Not open for further replies.