2024/25 Mason Holgate

Didn’t check. Have a look at Holgates threads on here from the 2019/2020/2021 years. Some amazing shouts🤣🤣
Took me ages to give up on him:

I think that he should insist upon signing a centre-half this month, and then move Holgate into midfield for the rest of the season.

I like the lad a lot, and while I don't believe that he's strong enough to play in the centre of defence or dynamic enough at right-back, he's shown a lot of promise in his cameos playing further forward. Hopefully, he'll do well enough to become a long-term option there.

It's also time for a couple of academy graduates to be given a chance ahead of those who need to be forced out (Schneiderlin, Sigurdsson, Walcott, Keane, etc.), assuming that there won't be much of appetite to get deals done at Brands's end.

Holgate is very good. I think he has a chance.

Calvert-Lewin seems to be one of those players, like Rodwell, who coaching teams fall in love with, so it could be that he has the work ethic to overcome what looks to be a fairly low level of natural talent.

A year ago I would have said that Davies is nailed on to go all the way, but as time goes on he looks more and more like someone who lacks focus. Now I'm not so sure that he even has a future in the Premier League.

Can't say that I've seen anything of note in the others you mentioned.

Quite surprised by this. I think Holgate has been very good overall since moving to centre-back, whereas Keane just looks out of his depth when faced with any kind of difficulty.

It's only really Richarlison, Digne and Holgate who could expect to start at a better team, but Calvert-Lewin comes under more scrutiny than the rest of the decidedly average players.

I didn't spot this when you replied on Tuesday, but for me it's now Holgate+1 at centre-back. I wasn't sure if he would ever have the physicality to make it in the Premier League, even as recently as when Pukki put him on the weights in that terrible home defeat to Norwich, but he's jumped up a level since moving into midfield (where I began to think his future lay) and then dropping back into defence. I'm also happy to stick my neck out and say that Branthwaite is already capable of pushing for a place in the team, much the same way that Stones did with Jagielka and Distin (he couldn't have been much more than a teenager in 2013/14).

If Holgate has another strong season and plays for England, there's every chance that he'll end up attracting bids in the £50m range.

I'll forgive myself the ones where I'm using him as a stick to beat Keane with, but even that looks generous in hindsight.

:lol: Please…
Post in Doucoure thread

IMG_4831.jpeg

Fat Mike once again proving he’s a massive divvy! @MikeH72

Times like these I do regret putting the boy on egnore however being FB92's whipping boy can do harmful things to ones mental state of mind. :lol:

:lol: Please…
Post in Doucoure thread

View attachment 271133

Nothing wrong with that sir. Man City away is a write off fixture and we had tons of midfielders injured so no point risking Doucs.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back