Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is suited better as a right sided back 3 than RB. Will get even better when he is given game time when Coleman is recovering. Maybe he needs to work on his crossing.

Think he is going to be a very good player for us but really want us to start using him at centre half. Looks so comfortable on the ball and happy to get forward but looks almost scared to whip a ball in. Only put one ball in today when he seemed to be the spare man a lot of the time and I was screaming at him to get it in and over early. Checks back too much when he gets into good positions to cross, which isn't his fault as he is a centre half playing as an attacking right back. The way Koeman has us set up relies on a Colemanesque player getting ahead of the midfield. As good as Holgate is defensively, attack wise he is limited. Would rather we use the next 6 games to give Holgate game time at centre half and use Kenny as right back to see whether we have a player that fits koemans style of play and can do a job from an attacking perspective as well as defensively until Coleman is fit or whether we should loan Kenny out next season.
Holgate is class and deserves a chance to play in his actual position.

He looks a very composed player. Almost a impressive as Stones was when he first came in, and in truth I can't see him losing the plot a bit like Stones did with Koeman in charge.

His performances and defensive nous at right back really give Barkley a lot of freedom on the right side because he knows he has Holgate behind him. He may not be as good (yet) as coleman going forward but he is going to be a top defender.

I would like to see him get a few games at centre back in a 4 before the season's out, but I think koeman's not thinking about next season yet, he's still thinking we can finish above arsenal or United

Doesn't bomb on like Coleman. Have to say he was frustrating not whipping in crosses like Coleman does. First whipped in cross resulted in Lukaku's headed goal.

He looks like a player that's snatching at his opportunity when it's arrived - like he wants to show Koeman that we don't need to buy a new RB in the summer.

If he improves his attacking abilities then what a player we have here.

Think he is going to be a very good player for us but really want us to start using him at centre half. Looks so comfortable on the ball and happy to get forward but looks almost scared to whip a ball in. Only put one ball in today when he seemed to be the spare man a lot of the time and I was screaming at him to get it in and over early. Checks back too much when he gets into good positions to cross, which isn't his fault as he is a centre half playing as an attacking right back. The way Koeman has us set up relies on a Colemanesque player getting ahead of the midfield. As good as Holgate is defensively, attack wise he is limited. Would rather we use the next 6 games to give Holgate game time at centre half and use Kenny as right back to see whether we have a player that fits koemans style of play and can do a job from an attacking perspective as well as defensively until Coleman is fit or whether we should loan Kenny out next season.
Holgate is class and deserves a chance to play in his actual position.

I'd definitely move pennington onto the bench and try Holgate at centre back. its bizarre....I can only think koeman doesn't trust Kenny yet

Great old-school defender, looks even better than Galloway did when he broke in and you can't say that lightly. Coleman when he returns might not even get his place back.

I hope Galloway comes back improved after Pulis' coaching...and hungry.

Have to say that for centre backs, he and Holgate look really solid at full back when they've had the opportunities.

I cant see that much between them bearing in mind the team Galloway came into and the one Holgate is currently impressing in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back