Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is not that he looked good last season, but why he didn't look good enough for Koeman this season. We have to think if he fits into the system or not that Koeman is trying to bring in.
Not sure tbh. He had a solid pre season and I was surprised that he was loaned out to Albion the day after we played them in the league. Pulis doesn't have a good track record with young players, and even their own fans were saying Galloway wouldn't last long as he crossed the half way line too often.

I actually think he'd fit in well with the back 3 formation and would like to see him recalled from his loan this month if that's allowable under the loan terms. Also prefer to see him as back up LB to Baines rather than Oviedo. He's being totally wasted at the moment.

He is 20 and plays LB for England under 21 team, so presumably is rated higher than anyone else in the country. It's common for young CBs to begin their senior career at FB.

Not sure if he'll make it at Everton but I certainly wouldn't be writing him off so decisively at this stage.

Hi can't attack so won't make it as full back and has never proven himself at CB at PL level like Holgate has. He may well make it but no manager has yet to trust him at CB and that should be concerning at his age (particularly at U21 level).

Hi can't attack so won't make it as full back and has never proven himself at CB at PL level like Holgate has. He may well make it but no manager has yet to trust him at CB and that should be concerning at his age (particularly at U21 level).
He's not been given a chance like Holgate. And apart from him, how many other 20yo are being given a game in the Premier.

I'd like to see him given a chance on the left of a back 3. Think he'd do ok.

As I said. Certainly too early to write him off. Performed well at LB last season and looked fine at CB in pre season.

John Stones wasnt much more experienced at 20 and he generated nearly 50m for us. Not sure what your expectations are of a 20 yo.

He's played CB at U21 level and also in pre-season our first team.

He's not been given a chance like Holgate. And apart from him, how many other 20yo are being given a game in the Premier.

I'd like to see him given a chance on the left of a back 3. Think he'd do ok.

As I said. Certainly too early to write him off. Performed well at LB last season and looked fine at CB in pre season.

John Stones wasnt much more experienced at 20 and he generated nearly 50m for us. Not sure what your expectations are of a 20 yo.

I think it is fairly easy to tell when a player is good enough to play CB as opposed to a defensive full back. When Stones came on the scene it was obvious he was top drawer (unfortunately he believed the hype and has regressed), Holgate is the same. Two very defensive managers in Koeman and Pulis obviously don't rate him high enough to get any game time at a competitive level.

In the last few seasons we have seen Stones, Holgate, Ake, Jenkinson, Gomez, Keane etc all get game time at CB to name but a few.

I am not saying he won't be a good player, but his path to the first team is not the same as Stones/Holgate as he isn't as naturally talented. Needs a loan spell in the Championship to help his development.

I think it is fairly easy to tell when a player is good enough to play CB as opposed to a defensive full back. When Stones came on the scene it was obvious he was top drawer (unfortunately he believed the hype and has regressed), Holgate is the same. Two very defensive managers in Koeman and Pulis obviously don't rate him high enough to get any game time at a competitive level.

In the last few seasons we have seen Stones, Holgate, Ake, Jenkinson, Gomez, Keane etc all get game time at CB to name but a few.

I am not saying he won't be a good player, but his path to the first team is not the same as Stones/Holgate as he isn't as naturally talented. Needs a loan spell in the Championship to help his development.
Still dont agree with you entirely mate but that is a much more reasoned argument than bang average and never make it as a premier league centre back.

Another solid performance from young Mason. It looked like Benteke started the 2nd half on their left to test Holgate but didn't get much change so wandered about a bit. He's looking more confident on the ball every match and getting forward more often . Still learning , getting the odd thing wrong but improving all the time in our current set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back