Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.

3 at the back suits us mate, and most importantly it suits williams massively
Yeah I mentioned this in another post the 3-5-2 system is ideal for the players we currently have. As you've said Williams looks much better in a three, Coleman and Baines are ideal wing backs, Lukaku gets someone to play with up top and Barkley has a bit more freedom in a 3.

Yeah I mentioned this in another post the 3-5-2 system is ideal for the players we currently have. As you've said Williams looks much better in a three, Coleman and Baines are ideal wing backs, Lukaku gets someone to play with up top and Barkley has a bit more freedom in a 3.
Agree but baines needs to up his game we bemoan a lack of creativity but in this system the wing backs need to contribute as they see so much of the ball.

Coleman also yes he has scored some vital goals but they both need to improve there crossing consistency.

Strange as obviously baines is the most creative full back in premier league history but seems to be on a poor run from a creative point of view hopefully just adjusting back as Koeman initially had clearly told him to say back & keep it tight.

...Holgate got my MoM yesterday, I thought he was terrific. I notice he pops up around the opposition area in open play and he demonstrated his quality with a teasing ball into the box in the lead up to the goal.

He's a classy footballer, I just wonder if he'll play if we revert to a flat back four, especially if we spend big money on another CB. Nice problem to have.

Williams plays in a 3 at the back for Wales - where he looks his best, Mori - i think agentina play a back 4 but push the wingbacks so high up that he ends up basically covering that channel - similar to the way he has to do in a back 3, and Holgate is young enough that he hasn't had a 'system' ingrained on him that he would struggle to adapt away from - and basically is learning playing in a back 3 as he's developing.

Coleman and Baines look massively better in this system and the entire team seems to have so much more space and movement - none more so than Barkley

...Holgate got my MoM yesterday, I thought he was terrific. I notice he pops up around the opposition area in open play and he demonstrated his quality with a teasing ball into the box in the lead up to the goal.

He's a classy footballer, I just wonder if he'll play if we revert to a flat back four, especially if we spend big money on another CB. Nice problem to have.

We shouldnt revert mate, this system suits the players we have now, maybe during the summer that will change around again - but at that point holgate should have a full season nearly as a starter behind him and should be well placed to compete for a spot in a back 4 (uif we do change back to it)

We shouldnt revert mate, this system suits the players we have now, maybe during the summer that will change around again - but at that point holgate should have a full season nearly as a starter behind him and should be well placed to compete for a spot in a back 4 (uif we do change back to it)

....absolutely. I don't know what RKs longer term strategic team shape is. My fear with Holgate is his lack of physicality and whether that might be more exposed in a flat back four but he coped very well with Benteke yesterday. Ratcliffe wasn't tall but was very strong, perhaps Holgate will settle in to that type of role.

....absolutely. I don't know what RKs longer term strategic team shape is. My fear with Holgate is his lack of physicality and whether that might be more exposed in a flat back four but he coped very well with Benteke yesterday. Ratcliffe wasn't tall but was very strong, perhaps Holgate will settle in to that type of role.

Dea;ling with a big powerful centre forward these days isn't about being really strong though mate, offtimes just being really good on your positioning removes the need to get involved in a battle with them, holgate seems just a natural defender so with experience think he can easily handle playing in a back 4

Good shout on Ratters, also one of the fastest cb's i have ever seen as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back